1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Non i/c KSB vs. I/C KSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non i/c KSB vs. I/C KSB

I finally put my 14mm VE pump on last week. I still need to make some adjustments. It was a non intercooled pump to begin with and i used the non intercooled delivery valves with my intercooled lines, I just bent them a little where needed. But I was wondering about the KSB. They look a little different between my old intercooled pump and this non i/c pump. I've heard that they are opposite as well, that the non intercooleds turn off when you put power to them otherwise they are constantly on? Unlike the intercooled pumps where when you put power to the KSB, it would turn on. Is it ok to leave the non intercooled pump KSB with no power to it so its on all the time??? I've used my old switch to see if I could tell a difference in engine noise by putting power to it and taking it away but it never seemed to change, but I am also running 25-30 psi of fuel pressure to the pump so I think thats advancing it some too. Would it be a good idea to swap KSBs off my old intercooled pump or would it be even worth doing?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the ksb on the intercooled pump turns on (advaces the timing with power ). non I/c turn off
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
No power to the non i/c KSB means a constant full advance and just the opposite for the i/c KSB's. Not good to run around all the time with it that way. Leaving it advanced for a few dyno runs is ok though. Putting 12 volts to the non i/c KSB heats up the wax inside which will retard timing to its base/static setting. In your case, leave your toggle switch ON.

What do you know about the 14mm you've got? If it's been custom tuned, the KSB more than likely won't give any additional power on the top-end. Therefore, you would want to be sure that the base/static timing doesn't change as the pump's case pressure would be ridiculously and scary high. By the way, inlet pressure to the vane pump won't have any effect on case pressure or the timing curve.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 AM

Ok, maybe I will run something to it thats hot with the key on to keep it hot all the time then run my switch through it to shut it off when I want more timing. Right now it sounds like its running pretty high timing at idle, but I'm gonna try and go more with it. How long does it take to heat up the wax in the KSB to change the timing? I may run it with it on a while to see if it changes.

I put this 14mm pump together all by myself, along with my injectors. I just took this non intercooled pump I bought off a friend down to the pump stand in school and did some mods and put a rocken tech 14mm H&R in it, other than that its not really "Tuned". I just ran it on the pump stand a few times at different rpms to get a rough estimate of what it was fueling. According to the very old pump bench with dummy injectors, I got 320ccs at 2500 rpm per 1000 strokes, not sure how accurate the bench was but it definately increased the cc output by about 100ccs with just the 14mm head and rotor from the tests I did. I need to do some more messing with it on the truck to get it where I want it, but I'm just glad its on and running, and has gone a couple hundred miles already without seizing. I got my old 12mm VE in the toolbox in case this one ever has a horrible failure.

I thought I heard/read that more inlet pressure would advance your timing a little more? But maybe not?

I'm gonna try to dyno with my whole new setup on Saturday morning and planning on truck pulling that night as well. I still got plenty of work to do before then (probably wont get much sleep) But I'm excited to see what this thing might do.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what RPM are you going to pull at?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Since You guys are talking about this I'd like to ask a question if the op doesn't mind.
When I put the cummins (89CTD) in My ford truck I only connected 12v to the FSS and have it that way since day one. Should I also run 12v to the other solenoid on the side of the pump I guess that is the one You guys call ksb. This was never clear to Me.

Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Exekiel69
Since You guys are talking about this I'd like to ask a question if the op doesn't mind.
When I put the cummins (89CTD) in My ford truck I only connected 12v to the FSS and have it that way since day one. Should I also run 12v to the other solenoid on the side of the pump I guess that is the one You guys call ksb. This was never clear to Me.

Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread.
Yes, you should. If it still functions properly, it will really change how it runs. The wire on my KSB was off for about a year after I got the truck. I put a wire coming from the second connector on the FSS, and ran a toggle between it and the KSB. It really made my truck run more more smoothly after I started making sure it was getting 12 volts all the time. I had a bad knocking issue at the time which I could not solve, and disengaging the KSB (or engaging - however you wanna call it) fixed that as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
I got 320ccs at 2500 rpm
Is that pump speed or engine speed? I assume you mean engine speed. Do you know what injectors are used on the bench and what pop pressures they have?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 PM

that was engine speed since the pump speed was half of what the engine rpm would be. I'm not sure on the injectors, they were just dummy injectors, I took them out to up the pop pressure to 245 bar but when I did this the pump stand sounded like it could barely turn the pump so I turned them back down to about where they were before at about 150ish bar then it would actually run the pump again.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:50 PM

That stand does sound like it's pretty old . My 12mm was benched to 263cc's at 2,000RPM using p-pump injectors. I believe they're usually around 260bar.

What all did you do to the internals if you care to share? Or are those your trade secrets?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by JBradley500
what RPM are you going to pull at?
as much as I can get Running it in tonight's pull I was running about 3200 most the way then got er up to 4000 for a while. It was a slippery muddy track, but it did hit 4000 rpm and didn't seize this time. Oh and the dang thing was not lacking any fuel. Even with the brand new Bullseye 66/71/14 I put on it at 3 am this morning the thing was not cleaning up and nor did it seem like it wanted to. Not even sure what the gauges were reading. But I think I got er mostly dialed in to where I want it for now and its really running dang good for now I must say. Its turned into a pretty nasty truck these past few months compared to what it was.

Yes it was a very old pump stand, I think it was mainly one for the older 6.2 and ford IDI stanadyne pumps but the VE would work on it so thats what I used. As far as pump mods, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. My few lil mods have been done before by others but not sure that everyone knows about them or does them, but if your research and homework is done you can come up with your own "twist" on a pump like I have with this one. I got a spare non ic pump in pieces that I may try experimenting with a lot more when I find the time.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Let's see some uncorrected dyno numbers.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ahineman
Let's see some uncorrected dyno numbers.
X2. And some sweet sled pulling videos!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 PM

I was gonna hit the dyno yesterday morning but ran out of time and had to fab up a last minute air shut off for the pulls. I wish I coulda got on the rollers though, i'm very curious about it now.

Some vids of the pull last night should be up today or tomorrow so I'll post them when they show up.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 AM

Heres a vid of last nights pull in the mud, pull doesn't begin til the end of vid, I had an air shut off malfuntion at the first. It fueled well though I thought, hit 4000 rpm from about 3:10 til the end of the pull when I locked it up. Even had enough fuel for a quick barbeque at the end.
http://youtu.be/e4-Hn8H1ibE

Quick Reply: Non i/c KSB vs. I/C KSB