1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

"new"91.5

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"new"91.5

Hey everyone. I a new member who recently purchased a 91.5 ctd from a friend. The truck was originally purchased by the state of RI highway department. It had a service body on it and when it came up for sale my friend (an electrician) purchased it for his business. His business has since taken off and he purchased a few of the dodge box trucks for on site work. He sold the ctd to me for a song($500) as it had some issues he was unable to work out. I have since straightened out all of the driveability issues he was having(brakes,alignment,etc.) and am in the process of prepping the truck for paint. While it is disassembled I figure I should fix kdp, add a tranny cooler, etc. A few questions:
1. The jig method kdp fix-anyone know where I can find this kit? I have followed a few emails formerly in the forum but they were antique.
2.I would like to find a fan shroud-my local dealer lists as discontinued.
3.This truck has d70 rear w/lsd was this an option for state trucks? What kind of lsd did dodge put on these?
Thanks for any help. Good to know there are people out there working these trucks and liking them.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe if the fan shroud is toast the best place is a scrap yard, mine has a crack in it and is being held by screws.
The lsd that the trucks came with were a dana Pow-r Lok. They are suppose to be one of the best lsd units for the dana70, atleast thats what i've been told.
I have no clue about the jig method for the kdp as I just took my timing cover off to do it.
GL and welcome to the site
Old 01-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The jig isn't worth it for just one truck.

The Pow-r-Lok is an excellent diff, and easy to repair if broken. If you find that you have a "clunk" when going between drive and reverse, and the U-joints are good, then it is time to replace the clutches. As they wear down the clearance between the side gears and the spider gears increases, leading to excessive driveline slack.

Good luck on the shroud.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:54 PM

nice another mainer. What town you live in? welcome welcome

Coop
Old 01-12-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
welcome aboard!!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
The jig method is not reccomended for the 1st gens as the bolts for the timing case need to be removed and cleaned and the replaced using locktite. The 1st Gens were not put in with locktite from the factory. Most are loose and a few have came out and destroyed the timing gears and cam. Contact Harold at rvhvnfn@juno.com for the kit to tab it. It comes with two killer fan wrenches that make removing and installing the fan a snap. I myself feel a lot better now that mine is done.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the advice-I guess with no fan shroud and the proper fan wrenches the kdp thing should be resolved pretty quick. Glad to hear that the limited slip I have is a good unit. They seem to have put some good features on these state trucks. This truck has nine leafs and five overloads in the rear, and it is only a single rear wheel!

Mainer-I'm from Belfast. Good to know i'm not the only N.E. rust-belter keeping one of these on the road.

thanks again.