1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need Some Advice About Tranny Fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Advice About Tranny Fluid.

It is nearing time to change the tranny fluid, getting ready for a 3 week trip the first part of Sept.

My transmission is has 139K on it and never has been rebuilt. I'm thinking about changing to the AMSOIl synthic stuff. Is it to late to do this swap out of fluids? Will effect the seals in anyway? Any adverse effects.

This transmission has been serviced every six months, new fluid (ATF+3) and filter. I have never had the temperature above 200F, most of the time it is in the 160F range. I haul a 2800# camper and watch the temperatur constantly, if rising I will drop out of OD or go to 2nd.

I know that there is a group that run synthics all the time but with the tranny getting older what do you think?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Jim
Old 07-05-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you want to change? If the trans is in good shape, it won't hurt it, may help.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have run amsoil since 25K my trans is bone stock and just hit the 300K mark .I run this thing hard and have towed a 10K trailer with it . I have serviced it every year (adj,filter,fluid chg)and I personaly think the only reason it has lasted this long for the abuse its gotten is cuz of the amsiol . but thats just my .02
+ the amsoil has seal conditioners to help keep the seals soft
Old 07-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Ahhh yes...oil debates....

I have seen and heard (theories) that the synthetics are much better at a number of things..one is dealing with heat..that's a good thing...
They also tend to cling to parts alot better when hot...that's good too...
Now the one thing that "seems" to be a point of contention is the detergent properties.
Often over time, the traditional oils leave some deposits which (by accident) tend to "plug" or restrict leaky seals and so forth. The thing that seems to happen is those deposits get flushed/scoured out and a leak or seapage occurs. This is blamed on the quality of the synthetic rather than on the underlying cause with is weak or bad seals etc...

Your trans temps look real good for a 1st Gen truck. They ALL ran hotter than the later models due to the shift to lockup TC's....
In your case you've had good luck with the Mopar 7176 type oil (type 3 ATF) so I'd say keep on using it.
You could do a blend of your Type 3 and suppliment it with perhaps 4-5 quarts of Dexron type 2.
This is an atf with less friction modifiers in it and tends to create a bit firmer shift....it does not allow as much "slippage" as the normal type 3's whether synthetic or traditional.

Do your normal service and add the dex 3 then top up with the type 3 mopar or equivalent.

I have been running straight dex 2 in mine for over two years and no problems at all.
If you want to go one step further then you can blend your atf +3 with Ford "true type F".
That is an even more "aggressive" oil and makes for very firm shifts.
Keep in mind that the rationale here is to have a good clean/crisp shift with firm engagement and little to no slippage since that is the primary cause of heat generation in most trannies...

If anyone has more to offer, or, an opposing opinion/info PLEASE, post it as I am always eager to learn more were ever possible...

By the way, I've run the Amsoil engine oil in my truck for years and just flat out love it...awesome product !!!..

pb....
Old 07-07-2005, 07:53 AM

i agree with Bushy on the type f. have used it for years in all brands of transmissions with no known problems related to fluid. Bushy u are the first person i have run into in the business to agree with me on type f.