1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need schooling on duelly vs single rear wheel rigs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Need schooling on duelly vs single rear wheel rigs

Just curious on this, as I've always wondered. I've got nothing better to do but check out trucks on my 4 hour drive to the bay for work and looking at duelly rigs I've always wondered why the front wheels on duellys have rims/caps that extend outwards and single wheel trucks don't. Doesn't matter if truck is old or new, they just protrude out. Why is that? Off track a bit, but I don't want to post a new tread just for this other inquiry, but where has J Martin been? I get on this site sometimes 3X a day, and have always looked forward to his advice on numerous things. Lately, though, I haven't seen him on here. Hope all is well on his end
Old 08-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
it's so the front wheels are the same as the rear. for rotation/spare tire purposes.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've wondered the same thing myself Mr. Ragu. You drive 4 hours each way every day? That's gotta suck.
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen much of Mr. Martin either. Or Blake Clark. Must be fishing somewhere....
Old 08-20-2015, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by kerry.king
I've wondered the same thing myself Mr. Ragu. You drive 4 hours each way every day? That's gotta suck.
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen much of Mr. Martin either. Or Blake Clark. Must be fishing somewhere....
King, I leave on Sunday's around 4pm to get to my home away from home (trailer life) and live out there for a week for work and drive back Fridays to my family. Sometimes it takes me 5 hours to get home on Fridays!!! Coupled with a 45 minute drive from trailer to work while I'm there, this results in an oil change every 45 days, just to give you an idea of the mileage I put on. Thank the man for that 98 beater camry I use so fuel costs don't kill me! I try and drive the dodge at least a couple of times from Bay to home just to feel that feeling we all know about with driving these 1st Gens, if you know what I mean. The FIX, LOL! The worst part is I'm away from my family, and second I have no TV and barely an Internet reception in my trailer. Gets really boring in that trailer. On the positive note, I have a job, and am thankful for that. I also realize there are others trying to make ends meet with a much tougher situation than mine, and I respect those folks for doing whatever it takes. Now back on J Martin, hope he pops in soon. He's family around here, by golly
Old 08-20-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Being away from the family is a drag. I can identify with ya there. I work a 28on 28off rotation. The days off are nice, but being away for that long sucks. I work on an offshore drilling rig in Malaysia. 14 hour time difference between here and home. Makes staying in touch difficult. But, at least we're working.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Been busier than a 1 armed wallpaper hanger in a windstorm.

Duallys are for tearing up twice as much lawn.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
it's so the front wheels are the same as the rear. for rotation/spare tire purposes.
Yep.........
Old 08-21-2015, 08:11 AM

Hey, there you are J.... Good to hear from you. Yeah, wanted to add, on the subject of working far from family, it's a plus to actually like what you do, so it minimizes grouchy man when you are home with the family. In my case, a day and a half. I love what I do for work. Have a lot of fun, and being an apprenticeship instructor for the HVAC/sheet metal trades it is important to convey a lot of visual descriptions in my lessons, which means drawing. That's always been a passion of mine. With this job, I draw all day! Always wanted to be a paid cartoonist, so this job fills that need in some way. My students crack up on my toons, while learning
Old 08-21-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Oh,

Extra skid marks on lawns ?

I knew there was some practical purpose for the extra tires....
Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Oh,

Extra skid marks on lawns ?

I knew there was some practical purpose for the extra tires....
Actually, the extra stability when pulling a double trailer setup is priceless.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Been busier than a 1 armed wallpaper hanger in a windstorm.

Duallys are for tearing up twice as much lawn.

Meh, where at the marks from the fronts spinning?
Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 PM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
Well it's obvious he does have LSD anyway.

Another observation regarding dual vs single. We visit a lot of ranches out west and most of the work trucks are single wheel tons. They say in snow and mud they don't need that outboard wheel dragging them down cutting another rut.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Well it's obvious he does have LSD anyway.

Another observation regarding dual vs single. We visit a lot of ranches out west and most of the work trucks are single wheel tons. They say in snow and mud they don't need that outboard wheel dragging them down cutting another rut.
I used to plow with a RWD 48 Chevy 1 ton. I took the outside tires off and threw a cord of oak firewood in it for traction. Put em back on in the summer so I could haul 3-4 ton loads of scrap iron.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
The outboard offset to the dual adapters allows you to install an effective collision avoidance system to keep wayward wandering motorist and pedestrians away from the front of your truck.

Most are plastic but good ones are machined steel.

They really tear open sheetmetal like a canopener when it gets too close.

Jim
Old 08-23-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,593 Posts
Jim,
Those lug nuts look "Mad Max" approved.
Did you have those on your truck when it got side swiped when parked a while back?
If not, it might be a good up grade for you with that crazy Cali. traffic.

Quick Reply: Need schooling on duelly vs single rear wheel rigs