1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need help troubleshooting white smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:07 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
Need help troubleshooting white smoke!

On my way to work this morning everything started out fine. Drove several miles no problem. Pulled onto highway w/ 16' trailer and cattle panels and accelerated at a good clip to stay ahead of the commuters coming up fast.

Pulled the hill with good boost & acceleration but noticed more & darker haze than usual. After cresting the hill I had bluish white smoke out the tail pipe all the time. At first I thought I was loosing a trailer tire or had a brake locking up. At WOT it lessens and turns gray. Power is down some. Boost and EGTs seem about normal. Everthing else seems OK. Under the hood nothing looks different. Turbo sounds the same. Fluid levels OK. KSB still hooked up. No panel warning lights.

I usually have a small puff of dark gray at start up and then a light haze upon acceleration or load. Now it sits in a huge cloud of bluish white smoke when idling.

I have a newly rebuilt VE (couple thousand miles by the diesel guru at the local Dodge dealer), 40F some degrees this morning, filled up the tank yesterday & added some Lucas but ran it 60 some miles before this morning's episode. Truck only has 130,xxx relatively easy miles on it.

On a '92 if its the KSB do you unplug or hot wire it to make it work if it was the solenoid? By the time I got back home everything was warmed up good & ~50* outside. Engine to warm to check coolant level/color/smell...

Somebody point me in the right direction please !?!

Last edited by KRB; 05-07-2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may just have a drippy injector.
Peter.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm with Peter. Since it will fog you out at idle, try loosening injector lines one at a time and see if you can isolate it to one injector.

If that doesn't give you any results, pop the downpipe off the turbo and look for oil.

This isn't a KSB issue.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
KRB

Got home today and anti-freeze looks fine. Hot wired KSB and the idle smoothed out but smoke still there.

So what am I looking for when I crack the injector line? Do I crack one and check the smoke, amount of fuel spraying, sound or what?

Seems like you all are leaning toward a bad or clogged injector. Good time to upgrade huh? . But pricey .

In regards to running with a bad injector, will you just waste fuel and be short on power or can I cause other harm and damage you reckon?

Thanks for focusing me into one direction guys.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Crack one injector, watch the exhaust for a while. If it clears up, you've found the bad one. If not, retighten, move on to the next one and repeat.

You can burn a hole in a piston pretty quick with a bad injector. It also washes the oil off the cylinder walls and can cause a scuffed piston. When you find it, fix it ASAP.

It sounds like you've got one that's not closing properly.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:07 PM
KRB

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Crack one injector, watch the exhaust for a while. If it clears up, you've found the bad one. If not, retighten, move on to the next one and repeat.

You can burn a hole in a piston pretty quick with a bad injector. It also washes the oil off the cylinder walls and can cause a scuffed piston. When you find it, fix it ASAP.

It sounds like you've got one that's not closing properly.
Will it clear up because the fuel is running down the outside of the engine instead of the inside? Just trying to prepare for a mess if thats the case. Trying to get my head around what actually will cause the change - cracking line on bad injector = no fuel to cylinder = no unburned fuel out the exhaust right? I've never cracked a line except for bleeding tractors.

I feel bad hoping that its a bad injector...only way to justify 190s to my wife (and me ).
Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yep, that's the way it works. Your engine compartment will be a fuely mess by the time you are done. Do it out in the street. Unfortunately it's the only way to tell if you have a bad injector short of pulling them all out and having them tested.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 PM
KRB

Ceacked em and each time it ran rougher but still smokin'. How long should one wait? I waited maybe 5-10 seconds. All I could stand with the fuel squirting everywhere. Got done and noticed the downpipe wet on the underside. Took it loose like you suggested but w/ a 3.5" DP & w/o loosening the bracket at the tranny it would just give me maybe 1/4". Anyway when I started it up it blew fuel out the connection. So I guess I've got raw fuel out the exhaust. Can I deduce a bad injector? Not closing? Or maybe popping at the wrong time and not allowing detonation?

If so, where's the cheapest fastest way to pick up some 190s?

Thanks guys,
Old 05-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I can't believe all 6 went bad at once. If you can't narrow it down to one injector, it's much more likely a pump problem - but I can't think of anything that would cause that without just killing power. So I still think it's an injector.

Crack 'em again, but try to give it more time. Wrap a shop rag around the wrench and line to catch the fuel so it's not so messy. With all the fuel in the pipe it's gonna take a while to quit.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

I'd take them out and get them checked, personally. I have had them be bad, all equally bad, and thus no effect on engine idling. If you ahve 130K easy miles, they may well be the culprit. The ones that get worked well seem to last longest.

I'd also check your pump timing. Did this start all of a sudden ,or was it a trend after the rebuild? Retarded timing will make white smoke, sluggish performance, etc, etc.

Daniel
Old 05-10-2007, 03:26 AM
KRB

It was all of the sudden. Or at least with a few minutes. Everything fine, then all within a mile or two she started smoking up a storm.

I may try cracking them again just to see. Guess I'll have to see who around here can check them out. My brother has a parts truck parked here. I might borrow his injectors and see if that helps.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 AM

Dont say parts truck around here!
White smoke generally means unburnt fuel=bad or stuck upen injector,
Let us know!
Peter.