1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mystery Leaking Seat Belts

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Mystery Leaking Seat Belts

I have noticed that the last few rains we have had here in Southern California, I will get in my truck, put on my seat belt and find it is soaking wet across my shoulder and chest.

I checked the corner below the retractor and it is damp but not really wet but there is a small drain hole there I believe.

I took out the dome light and tried to see if the cargo light was leaking but it did not look wet either but it does sit in a section that as a double wall.

Wherever it is leaking from it seems to be dripping down from where the speakers are and directly onto the seat belt because you can see the water in the belt where it is rolled into the retractor.

This happens when the truck is standing still parked in my driveway.

I also checked my cab lights, there were a couple of loose screws that took about a half turn to snug down but if a light was leaking I would expect it to leak down the front pillar or across the dash, not up and over the door and down the back side unless my truck is parked at a steeper angle that I had thought.

Any ideas where else it could be leaking from?

I guess I could pressureize the cab and check using bubble soap in a spary bottle.

Jim
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Jim,

I had the same issue in my Toyota that I currently own.

The problem in my yota is the weep holes in the cab body were clogged, allowing the water that was supposed to drain out to collect, and back up into the seat belt retractor. I cleaned out the weep holes, and the water drained out. Since I have a sun roof, the water enters in the well, and needs a place to go, hence the weep holes.

It's clear that the water is entering in your roofline somewhere, as my truck also leaked. Seal up your cab lights, open your doors, and stick a fan in there for the day to help dry things out. Be careful, though, as you have to keep watch on the truck as I'm sure one of the locals will stop by and relieve you of your possessions, thinking an open cab means "come and get it"....
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noticed this in my truck also.

I`m thinking its a leaking rear window. I know it isnt the cargo light because I don`t have one. In my situation it could be a clearance light, but as stated by Jim, i think that would go down the apillar.

I wonder if the window seals in these trucks are a bad design or something. I have new seals on the windshield and rear window, and the front glass is new, yet they BOTH leak.

my .02
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Check the seam where the roof and the cab come together. On my heap the seam sealer was cracked and must have been leaking in there. I used some drip check caulk and sealed it right up no more wet seat belts. Also check in the drip rail for cracked or missing seam sealer.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also check the cab light seals AND the cab lights themselves.
Nice truck or not, that southwestern heat shrinks seals and plastic like crazy.

{edit}
Sorry, missed that you already did this.

Mark.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
Check the seam where the roof and the cab come together. M
On my heap the seam sealer was cracked and must have been leaking in there. I used some drip check caulk and sealed it right up no more wet seat belts
My truck was repainted a year ago and the seam sealer on the cab was redone so I'm pretty sure that's not my issue
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Mine does that too. Kind of annoying.