1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My truck is in the shop.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
My truck is in the shop.

Last Monday I tool my truck in to the shop to have some bodywork done on it and they are going to repaint it.

In the last 2 months I had 2 accidents where someone had run into the side of my truck and cracked the left rear fender and the month before some lowlife scumbag freak thought they had the need to key both sides of my truck from front to back.

They are taking the front end apart because they are going to repair the cracks in both sides of the cowl, I brought them the hinge pin kits I had bought from Napa and they are going to install them for me.

See the car above my truck to the left? There is a story about this.
The owner came in while I was there and told me what happened.
This is his wife’s 2006 car and it was stolen from his driveway since the dealer installed Lojak he thought it would be safe so they called the police and they turned it on to track it, they found it within 1 hour.
Now Lojak is really neat, you can just follow the car from the signal in your cruiser or helicopter to where the take it and catch the thief Right?
Instead of laying back and following they decide to chase him through the town and then when he did not pull over they decided to do the PIT maneuver.

So they caught him and sent him to jail and they called the owner and said we have recovered your vehicle and can you come down and pick it up. They went to the OPG to drive it home and found the front left side was pretty much gone.

The cops did $8,000.00 in damage to his car and left it for his insurance to repair it.

I always wondered how they explained to the owners of the stolen vehicle they did to it on the cars you see on television when the cops ram into them at the end of the chase.

Must be really different when it was yours.

I am going to add more soundproofing to the cab when I get it back so along with my new Michelin tires I hope I get a quieter and smoother ride, at least it wont squeak.

The cracks were repaired and now it is being repaired where it was scratched.
At this time I am replacing all of the window trim, inner and outer seals also the window channel.

When they were taking the truck apart they were just looking into the engine compartment at all of the wiring, I told them I will take it off for them so they do not burn something up, they were relieved. I said I would put it back for them when they are finished.

Now the doors close nice and smoothe

This is a picture of the core support for no reason, nothing happened in here other than it is getting painted here also.

It will be going into paint around Tuesday and I hope to get it back by the end of the week.

The insurance company got me a rental, I am driving a 2007 Durango with unlimited mileage and I cannot wait to get back into my truck, this SUV swishes you down the street. It has plenty of power and it is nice and all but I do not feel very safe in it.
There are warning stickers all over the visors to beware of everything, High Vehicle rollover danger, Airbags killing you, Annoying dome lights that will not stay on, Radio does not shut off till you open the door.

I opened the hood to look at the engine and most of it is hidden under the windshield, don’t know how you could ever work on it short of pulling it out.

When I go to all of my usual fast food drive through and I give them my order they say I hear your order but I didn’t hear your truck, what happened to it.
They know my order by the sound of my truck.

I will have some more pictures as the work progresses.
Later Jim

Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey Jim, that's great! Cannot wait to see the finished product. I remember when I had my Camaro re-painted, how happy I was when I got it done.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
allways makes you feel good when its done. don't rush them. kinda like xmax.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hope you get it back soon, I've always hated leaving my truck in the shop.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Jim, now would be the perfect time to comb out your fins on the front coils, and measure up a screen of some type(1/4" hardware cloth or window screen material)
Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin' good!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:24 PM

Nice truck. What kind of wheels are those. I want some just like that, but shiny black.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM

Looking good I have to get my body work done as well
Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Post Update.

This is like having your kids in the hospital.

Well I have been to see the patient everyday this week and photographing the progress,

Most body shops will not let the customers into the shop but since I am a good customer they let me have free roam of the shop.
Now whenever I go to take a picture the guys who do the body work will stand there and pose with their work.

These guys are really proud of their work.

On Monday they got all of the bodywork done and by Wednesday it went to paint.

And now I am thinking how cool it would look if I shave the door handles, well maybe next time.

I picked up all new window molding for both doors and they are installing it for me.
Looks kind of funny without wind wings.

This is right from the paint booth, they have not buffed it out yet.

Ditto on this side.

Today they are going to buff it out and start putting it back together, I have to reconnect the electrical for them.

I will be upgrading the turn signal lamps with new LED’s I picked up last week and the body molding is being made special so I will have to come back in about 3 weeks when it gets here and they will install it.

The camper is already painted and waiting to be installed.
When they welded the cracks in the cowl they also took a lot of digital pictures for me.
The cowl is a very interesting beast.

Oh, I am also getting a new grille.
This truck is going to be like brand new again.
It should be ready for me to pick up by Wednesday next week.
Jim

Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Nice!!!! your gonna have a head turner......
Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM

now its who's gonna put the first scratch on it. back in my high school days i had a pickup i sanded and must have used 10lbs of putty on, when finished i was so proud then when installing the rollbar by myself i did the six inch long scratch right under the left tailight, made me sick. touched it up and i lived. every rig i have had i always remember the first scratch. may yours be in a out of sight area. lets go get a load of wood next weekend.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 AM

Man that thing's nice. Gonna be super sharp when she's all put back together. Thanks for posting pics
Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 AM

Are you just upgrading the lamps to LED or the lens, too?

BTW, Nice truck! Your attention to detail is fantastic!

Mike
Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Almo
Are you just upgrading the lamps to LED or the lens, too?

BTW, Nice truck! Your attention to detail is fantastic!

Mike

It is going to be the entire lamp housing; I looked at a lot of lights to find the one I liked.
I will probably have a write up on in a few weeks.
Thanks for the comments.
Jim
Old 08-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Post Got some more pictures of the patient.

Here it is with the new grille installed.

For some reason the guys are afraid to get near my wiring, I told them I would take care of that. It will give me an excuse the tidy it up.

I dropped off all of the new rubber parts for the windows today after my trip to Clippinger Dodge.

They still need to put the back of the truck together.

I wish they would have had to pull the bed because I would have had a chance to replace the gasket on the fuel tank, maybe next time.
Everything is going smooth so far and it looks like I will have it back on next Wednesday.

Although I will have to wait for the body molding for a few weeks.

Even though I am driving a new Dakota for a rental truck, I really miss the big noisy truck.
Even my Husky dog is confused because she cannot hear me come home.

Thanks for letting me share this with you.
Jim

Quick Reply: My truck is in the shop.