1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My poly spring tip install

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My poly spring tip install

After reading Jim Lanes install on the poly tip spring insert's, I was hooked.. So, since I am laid off and have little money and all the time in the world.. I decided to give it a worl on my rig... total cost 20 bucks.. time about 2 days.. But I painted each leaf with special chasis saver paint... His directions were real good, I am lucky enough to have a Bridgport, so it made the job fairly easy.. Definately need the harder drill bit, I found it easier to use a 1/4 one to make a starter hole then follow through with the larger bit...

I did pick up about 1/2" of rear ride height too!!

I finsihed it up yesterday and took the truck for a ride this morning... First impressions, seemed quieter and less harsh... then I turned down a road that the truckers pound daily and hit the big bumps and felt the same as before.... But let me tell you these are like those bumps that are in sub divisions to slow people down... Hitting those at 55mph is a bit rough..lol But, I do feel it was worth the work.. Because on normal roads it does seem better, if you ever get the chance to drive on Mi roads... we have the worst... When you cross the border it is instantly rough..lol "Turn around"
So, all in all I would give it a B- on work put in for return.... Wasn't the saving grace I was hoping for, but I do feel it did help... Here a few pics I took while doing the install..

Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Really nice to see some more feedback with this mod, thanks!

Hey DNR - Do you have any weight in your bed or are you empty on that one.

Are those autozone brand duralast brake pads on there.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DNRCustoms
I finsihed it up yesterday and took the truck for a ride this morning... First impressions, seemed quieter and less harsh... then I turned down a road that the truckers pound daily and hit the big bumps and felt the same as before.... But let me tell you these are like those bumps that are in sub divisions to slow people down... Hitting those at 55mph is a bit rough..lol But, I do feel it was worth the work.. Because on normal roads it does seem better, if you ever get the chance to drive on Mi roads... we have the worst... When you cross the border it is instantly rough..lol "Turn around"
So, all in all I would give it a B- on work put in for return.... Wasn't the saving grace I was hoping for, but I do feel it did help...
DNR, keep in mind that Jim has previously softened up his spring pack to improve the ride so that may be why he was more impressed with the results than you were. Loose a few leaves and add air and it may ride better.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...light=air+ride
Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Yes I do have weight in the bed... proabably a good 1k.. It sagged the whole truck 1''... But, I figure I had to leave it in there to get an accurate reading since I had it already in there... now i wonder if it would help if I take it out... Don't know if it is helping or hurting at this point!! I really don't want to take any leafs out just yet and add air, because I may go sled pulling with it and can't use the bags while pulling.. So, thats where I am at with that...

And yes those are some autozone pads!! I got the whole calipers and pads "loaded pair" for like 22 bucks per side..
Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Well my guess was that the bed was empty and adding weight might help... Sounds like you have a good load in there!

I am ashamed to say that I have a pair of Duralast Shoes on my left rear hub as well....
Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
DNRCustoms

Hey I am glad you went and installed them, they look good
It is nice to see my projects on someone else’s truck

When I installed the tip isolators on mine I built the pack back to factory specs with all of the leaves.

There are a few reasons our results might be different, I have a DRW vs. your SRW, I have coil springs up front and you have leaves, shocks, tires.

I am totally satisfied with the ride I got from all of my work, the only problem I have found is that after awhile you get used to the ride and it and you want more, but I will keep on that.

Yes it would be nice if it rode better but it is a LOT better than it was.

When you took your leaves apart were the edges of the spring tips cutting into the adjacent leaf like mine were?

Looks good.
Jim
Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
DNRCustoms

Hey I am glad you went and installed them, they look good
It is nice to see my projects on someone else’s truck

When I installed the tip isolators on mine I built the pack back to factory specs with all of the leaves.

There are a few reasons our results might be different, I have a DRW vs. your SRW, I have coil springs up front and you have leaves, shocks, tires.

I am totally satisfied with the ride I got from all of my work, the only problem I have found is that after awhile you get used to the ride and it and you want more, but I will keep on that.

Yes it would be nice if it rode better but it is a LOT better than it was.

When you took your leaves apart were the edges of the spring tips cutting into the adjacent leaf like mine were?

Looks good.
Jim

Ya, the end of the leaves wore gouges into the leaf above it on all of them... It was pretty bad, Also they were rusted together pretty bad, I'm guessing they haven't been apart since they were assembled 17yrs ago!! But I sanded them down with an angle grinder untill all the rust was gone and smoothed out the grove... I even pulled the main leaf too... It is easy on mine beacuse of the drop shackles i put on, all the bolts are easily accessible.. Then I applied some good chasis saver paint from KBS coatings, I applied it with a brush... So, they all have a nice coat of paint on them.... I figure If all else fails I am the only goofball east of the Mississippi river to have painted all their leafs individually..lol
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much groove is ok in the upper spring before the whole pack should just be replaced? i'd like to do this mod, but i've already got grooves in the springs from the lowwer ones almost 1/8th deep.

Can you also tell me about the rear disc conversion? i'm always looking for better stopping and adjusting the rear brakes before any long trip is getting old...

thanks, kent
Old 01-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Clarkkent
how much groove is ok in the upper spring before the whole pack should just be replaced? i'd like to do this mod, but i've already got grooves in the springs from the lowwer ones almost 1/8th deep.

Can you also tell me about the rear disc conversion? i'm always looking for better stopping and adjusting the rear brakes before any long trip is getting old...

thanks, kent
Well, 1/8'' is pretty deap!! Mine was maybe 1/16 and sanded I just sanded it smoothe... You would have to get it apart, Might look worse now then when you have it apart... If it is to bad then I would just scrap them.. probably not worth the time... Then maybe just order a set of Skyjackers 6" rear softride springs, that will get rid of the factory blocks and they already have the spring tip insert...

The rear disc brackets for the Dana 70 were purchased on e-bay for like 75 bucks, then bought the rest of the parts from Auto zone.. Except brake hoses.. Total cost was like 225-250 I think... Personally I hate working on drum breaks, so it was a no brainer to go with the disc upgrade!!