1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

>>> my new tires <<<

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why aren't more bias tires sold if they are better?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Purplezr2
Why aren't more bias tires sold if they are better?

Why aren't more mechanical diesel engines sold and THEY ARE BETTER ??

Why aren't more rear-wheel-drive cars sold and THEY ARE BETTER ??

Why did Winchester dis-continue the icon of rifles, the Model 70, with genuine CLAW extractor, and it for certain IS BETTER ??

It's cheaper to manufacture the junk we are still able to buy is why all the good stuff is obsolete.

They offer junk, all steel-belted and rack-and-pinion, and we are silly enough to still buy it.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:41 PM

bearkiller,the more you post,the more i like you!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by cseby
bearkiller,the more you post,the more i like you!

Keep that thought in mind when election times rolls around; I may need a campaign manager and several body-guards.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Keep that thought in mind when election times rolls around; I may need a campaign manager and several body-guards.
I'd vote for ya
Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 PM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
There has been a set of BIAS Power Kings across the rear of my Ford for the last almost-100,000 miles and they will most certainly pass the 100,000-mile mark according to the depth of tread still on them; alas, Power Kings are almost impossible to lay hands on at present.

An old BIAS tire can sit back in the honey-suckle vines, in the mud, on an old truck or trailer, for ten years of neglect;drag it out of the weeds, air it back up, and head off for anywhere the road goes and it will usually come back.
I have Power Kings on my '51 Power Wagon and LOVE them. I searched high and low many moons ago and finally scord a set.

I've pulled many an old Power Wagon out of the bushes and the military tires with 1940's dates would either still be up or hold air once aired up. I was running 1950's era militarys on the B-3 until I got the Power Kings. One even had a .22 bullet stuck in the sidewall...

I just spent a little over $1K on 4 Michelin XLTs for the W250, how do these tire prices compare?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Very interesting thread...and great info BearKiller!!

After your responses to all the questions I can see things in a different light. My old 48 Desoto is still wearing "OLD OLD" bias ply tires. They look like he!! and are dry rotted and cracked something fierce...but they are holding air no problem.

I recently had the old radial spare tire I had for the crewcab exploded while just sitting in the back yard.

Name:  PICT5023.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  PICT5024.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  84.9 KB
Old 09-18-2011, 07:23 PM

I'm curious what you paid for them....are you will to divulge this info BK??
Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Me too
Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 PM

thrashingcows pictures reminded me of a similar experience I had with the spare mounted on my flat-bed; radial, of course.

I started to load something and wondered where all the wire came from; then, I saw that the spare-tire had exploded just hanging there and the million miles of wire was the steel belts.

Unattended radial-tire explosions are quite common.

The warehouse salesman who shipped these tires to me swore me to secrecy on the cost; suffice it to say that most top-line radials are less.

KRB, your Michelins are in the ballpark, pricewise.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM

The warehouse salesman who shipped these tires to me swore me to secrecy on the cost; suffice it to say that most top-line radials are less.

KRB, your Michelins are in the ballpark, pricewise.
I wonder why the secrecy???...Are they not interested in selling to the public? A price might garner more attention from interested members.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I wonder why the secrecy???...Are they not interested in selling to the public? A price might garner more attention from interested members.

As I do have family connections in the tire business, I think it may be against forum policy for me to post prices and such.

I don't have a store full of these to sell; I almost wasn't able to get the ones for my own use.

They make these almost by hand in short production runs as demand warrants.

If enough of you guys called them, I am sure they would fire up the presses.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
So let me make sure I understand.

Bias and radials today are both made of the same compounds correct? Its just the design and method of construction that sets them apart right?

What I'm getting at is that a new bias isn't exactly the same as or as good as an old one due to rubber formulation different compounds etc. But still better than a radial in your opinion.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
So let me make sure I understand.

Bias and radials today are both made of the same compounds correct? Its just the design and method of construction that sets them apart right?

What I'm getting at is that a new bias isn't exactly the same as or as good as an old one due to rubber formulation different compounds etc. But still better than a radial in your opinion.

That's a tough one to answer; let me wake up my brain-waves.

There are plenty of BIAS tires out there and readily available; BUT, just as in many other products, there are some really good ones, some mediocre ones, and some that are not quite suitable for use at speed on good roads.

Even the worst bias is gonna be tougher and hold up better than the best radial.

The good bias of today are better than the good bias of several years ago and will usually out-mileage them by quite a bit.

On the other hand, there are a lot of solid tough bias out there that, although they are tough and will hold up to the time factor, their tread compound is not so high mileage and they are better suited for such things as occasional-use trailers.

Good quality bias tires that run true are not cheap.

A lot of the less expensive bias tires, while they are tough as nails, are not gonna run quite so true.

Of course, there are plenty of radial tires out there that do not run true either.

As I already said, the roads in America are much improved compared to forty-years ago.

That is not the case in many foreign countries; and, because of that, bias tires are much more common and still heavily in use in those countries.

Just about all of the major tire manufacturers still build bias tires for the foreign market, yet they do not offer them in the states.

Radials are just so much cheaper and easier to mass-produce.

If you are needing something for that military rig, look at what DEESTONE has to offer; they make just about all of the old favorite treads.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
for those wondering price, I'll spare BK and just list the link where they are priced at 159.00 a piece.

https://www.universaltire.com/truck-...ary/truck.html

Quick Reply: >>> my new tires <<<