1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My new 92

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new 92

Just got a 92 club cab,Auto.Got it from an old man for $500.00 Has about 180k on it .Runs and drives great.It is bone stock other than a straight pipe.Body is clean,Needs a paint job,interior is great other than the dash being yellow,and everything else is blue LOL.Cold a/c,good heater.I have driven it about 1000 miles,have had to put no oil in it.
I know nothing about its maintainance history,it seems solid,with no leaks,or blowbye,What are some things I need to check before I get too comfortable .
pics arent too good ,will get some better ones.

thanks guys
Love the site

Josh
Attached Thumbnails My new 92-truck-013.jpg   My new 92-truck-014.jpg   My new 92-truck-015.jpg  
Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 PM

you beat the tar outta my recent deal...kudos (I'm learning too so can't help you much there)
Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 PM

First of all. Wecome to here.. Take a look at the "FREE" power addings on the sticky's. Don't forget gauges first. Have fun and nice rig.....
Old 11-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
excuse me? you got THAT for $500? wowzors...

If she runs good, shifts good, stops good, lights work along with all the rest of the electrical and doesn't have any leaks and doesn't really have any apparent rust I don't know what else you really need to look for... tires are even decent for now.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rick 12v CTD

If she runs good, shifts good, stops good, lights work along with all the rest of the electrical and doesn't have any leaks and doesn't really have any apparent rust I don't know what else you really need to look for... tires are even decent for now.
Yes everything seems to be fine.Tranny fluid was old and burnt,so i dropped and replaced.Pulls a tiny bit to the right ,so i am gonna get it aligned.Cant find any rust yet.And everything works.
This is my first diesel,and I love it!Pulls nice and strong,but seems like something is holding it back some.Maybe just needs some tweaking.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 PM

it pull to the right when braking or all the time?

oh and it feels like it's being held back some probably because it is.
There are a couple things with it. First if it's a 92 you probably have the 21cm exhaust housing. That alone will really make it feel like it's being held back.
It is also possible that it's not getting full throttle even though the pedal is floored. The cable that goes from the throttle on the injector pump to the gas pedal in the cab is known for stretching I guess. There are a couple fixes for that.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 PM

All the time while driving.Not bad just a bit.Front end is solid,no rattles,or play,so probably nothing major.could use some front shocks,feels alittle soft.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 PM

ok, if it was only while braking I was going to make a suggestion but since it's all the time, don't worry about it. An allignment might help? I don't know. Mine pulls to the right all the time a little as well but mine has a couple problems I need to fix lol

Also, read my above post again, I edited it.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:52 PM

oh and it feels like it's being held back some probably because it is.
There are a couple things with it. First if it's a 92 you probably have the 21cm exhaust housing. That alone will really make it feel like it's being held back.
It is also possible that it's not getting full throttle even though the pedal is floored. The cable that goes from the throttle on the injector pump to the gas pedal in the cab is known for stretching I guess. There are a couple fixes for that.
Ya I swear it feels like the pedal is very short.I will check it out.
Thnx
Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
move the linkage on the pump to the inner hole and back your high idle screw out some. not a power increase, but i'll kinda feel like it. adjust/shorten the rod between the ball sockets on that linkage too. left handed thread though, be cautious.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good deal!!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody hit the jackpot I'd say!! have fun with it..
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Lol Ya I got that to 500 $ !!!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Another thing that would be good to check is if the killer dowel pin has been tabbed. I don't know how much you know about it but in the 12 valves there is a dowel pin which aligns the timing case to the block and that has a tendency of falling out. If it does, two things can happen...If your lucky, it will drop out into the oil pan and harm nothing. If you not so lucky, it can get caught in between the gears in the timing case and break the teeth off the gears and shoot out your timing case cover, causing a pretty serious oil leak. You might want to look into fixing it now because it's one of those things that could leave you stranded. It might not fall out at all but why take the risk?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Sweet deal. I just inherited my 93 W250 from my Dad in June. These guys on this site will get that truck feeling a little better quick. In 4 months I have done the following thanks to many of those who have answered this thread:

1) New intake and filter (ASA modifieds, allows more air and a smooth ride to the turbo instead of the stock "turbulence" maker) More MPG
2) Move throttle to the inside hole (sticky's or videos for most of these modifications)
3)Turn your fuel pin so that the side with more of an angle is facing the radiator (better answer is to buy a "Denny T" fuel pin from Denny for $105 and install it. HUGE difference. My truck jumps up and goes with that pin) also turn the "starwheel" down a few turns while you are in there.
4) 3200 Governor spring allows for more RPM's
5) The smaller turbo housing allows for better spooling (My Dad put in a 16cm housing)
6) Turn the fuel screw in a couple of turns and the smoke screw for more fuel

All this (besides the housing) costs about $350 and your truck won't feel like it is holding back anymore. 4 months ago I knew nothing about Diesels. You are now on the fast track to knowing your truck a little better.

David

Quick Reply: My new 92