1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Moog, Mevotech & Quick Steer front end parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dropped $500 on DANA joints and control arm bushings.

tax return

I believe boxing the control arms will also allow me to run grease lines and put the fittings where I can easily grease them from the top.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I dropped $500 on DANA joints and control arm bushings.

tax return

I believe boxing the control arms will also allow me to run grease lines and put the fittings where I can easily grease them from the top.
Do you think they are worth the extra coin? Got any part numbers? I don't mind spending extra money on a part that will last because I don't want to have to do this again for a long time.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll get you the part numbers once I get them. Don't know when I'll be by NAPA again.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:30 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Talking about the boutique stores, . . . ..

My Dad has a 1952 Jaguar XK120 that originally has the straight-8 cylinder engine. He bought the car perhaps 45 years ago less the engine and trans. He cobbled together a Ford small-block with some Mercury heads, along with a Ford 3-speed transmission. Home-built cut-down to fit radiator . . . etc.

I giggle every time I think of him going to a parts store like that and the kid behind the counter fires-up the computer and asks: "Make, year and model?"

Dad, myself, my Son, etc have been dealing with Loop Road Auto Parts, in Garner, NC for years. They've got counter guys there who've been there 30 years or so now. When Dad walks in, they all say hello and point to the warehouse doors telling him: "You know what you want. Holler if you need help."
Old 03-28-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847

My Dad has a 1952 Jaguar XK120 that originally has the straight-8 cylinder engine. He bought the car perhaps 45 years ago less the engine and trans. He cobbled together a Ford small-block with some Mercury heads, along with a Ford 3-speed transmission. Home-built cut-down to fit radiator . . . etc.

I giggle every time I think of him going to a parts store like that and the kid behind the counter fires-up the computer and asks: "Make, year and model?"

Dad, myself, my Son, etc have been dealing with Loop Road Auto Parts, in Garner, NC for years. They've got counter guys there who've been there 30 years or so now. When Dad walks in, they all say hello and point to the warehouse doors telling him: "You know what you want. Holler if you need help."
I like how you say loop rd like these guys know what it is... I grew up in micro and graduated from north Johnston and did an aas at Wayne cc. I cut my teeth working on cars at mcdaniels auto sales and have been to loop rd many times.

I'm now in the USCG and stuck in st petersburg fl.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Ha! I have similar fun when I'm bored...I ask the counter kid for spark plugs for a 1991 six cylinder 3/4 ton truck...since it only says v8 and L6, its a good way to spend a few minutes.

On that XK120...it would be a straight 6 by the way. I had a '54 version in XK140 flavour with SE head.

Originally Posted by BC847

Old 06-20-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
I got on RockAuto's email list, for notifications if and when certain parts come in. I'm contemplating re installing my RWAL module( get away, MKnittle! Leave me alone!! Inside joke) and today they notified me, surprised as all get out. I thought for sure those things were no longer available. Picked it up, as they only had one come in. ( back off, Mark! I know you already told me those crap out!!!)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 PM

I'm actually contemplating returning it. Tried to catch them before it got processed, but too late. On its way.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 PM

I actually like my local Orileys. I've sorta become like "Norm from Cheers" when I walk in there. One day I was looking for a specialty tool, a belt retrieving tool, as I got tired of trying to get all squirmy like bent over trying to grab the belt and at the bottom and try and weave it around the pulleys. This tool has a spring loaded handle, so one can grip that belt good once they "catch" it at the bottom. Anyway, they didn't have it in their books. Mindy, the store manager, used her own credit card and ordered me one she found on Amazon, and had it shipped to the store. She held on to it for a week, till I got back into town and then I paid her for it.
How many of your local parts houses would do that for someone?
Just two weeks ago, I brought in a Felpro valve cover gasket that I accidentally tore. I brought it in to make sure the parts guy that ordered it got me the blue ones for sure. Mindy saw my torn gasket, and gave me a free new one in an exchange. I asked her why? She says it was faulty.
I like Orileys
Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
I actually like my local Orileys. I've sorta become like "Norm from Cheers" when I walk in there. One day I was looking for a specialty tool, a belt retrieving tool, as I got tired of trying to get all squirmy like bent over trying to grab the belt and at the bottom and try and weave it around the pulleys. This tool has a spring loaded handle, so one can grip that belt good once they "catch" it at the bottom. Anyway, they didn't have it in their books. Mindy, the store manager, used her own credit card and ordered me one she found on Amazon, and had it shipped to the store. She held on to it for a week, till I got back into town and then I paid her for it.
How many of your local parts houses would do that for someone?
Just two weeks ago, I brought in a Felpro valve cover gasket that I accidentally tore. I brought it in to make sure the parts guy that ordered it got me the blue ones for sure. Mindy saw my torn gasket, and gave me a free new one in an exchange. I asked her why? She says it was faulty.
I like Orileys
I like them too. In Coffeyville, KS I ordered the wrong paint for my truck. It was a custom mix and when we found out O'Reilly's took it back and mixed up the right stuff with no extra charge. They seem to bend over backwards to make sure the customer is happy.

Edwin
Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
add oreillies to that list, (no wonder their alternators et al have a "lifetime warrenty" - otherwise no one would buy them! (mine went out in less than a month. 2nd one - OK!

I prefer autozone ironically due to the fact that they have the most McDonald's-esq appearance. They are the only auto box store that carried Timkin tapered bearings and seals.
I like O'reilly's warrantee. Bought an alternator a couple of years ago. It failed to field last month. Didn't even need a receipt, just my phone number and they handed me a new one. BTW, field (brush) failure was the only issue. After a couple of hard years the bearings were still very smooth. Alternator looked pretty crusty from the Minnesota salt spray atmosphere.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:36 AM

Back in 2012, when the low pressure nipple on my Orileys Murray brand compressor sheared off, I took it back to Orileys. I had just installed it a year before. No questions asked. They handed me a brand new one. Reinstalled and R12 back in.

I've seen folks abuse their return policy, by bringing in brake pads that were obviously worn down from regular use. Guy said something was wrong with them and he demanded a replacement. No questions asked, no doubting the guy. Handed him a new set. After the guy left, I asked the counter guy, why he would do that, just hand him a new set and not even call the guy on it. His reply back was " it is Orileys policy that the customer comes first. If handing him a set of pads keeps him coming back, instead of going to NAPA around the corner, so be it".

It kind of reminded me of that scene in Fast Times At Richmond High, when the customer demanded he get his money back for a meal he ate at least 90%. Said he didn't like the meal and was unhappy, so give me the refund, like their policy said.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (06-21-2017), maybe368 (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Hey Augie, I just noticed your new avatar, down with Awnold and up with the local. I am a bit slow to notice sometimes ...Mark
Old 06-21-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Hey Augie, I just noticed your new avatar, down with Awnold and up with the local. I am a bit slow to notice sometimes ...Mark
Yeah, got rid of old Arnie. I haven't worked out in over a year now, due to this fusion and back problems. So, I figure when I get back into it one day, maybe he'll pop back in again. Funny, I never believed it, but someone told me when you stop pumping the iron, you always will tend to go back to what you originally looked like before you started cranking the iron. I'm back to being a stick figure, except a ponch came along with it, LOL. Thank goodness for old muscle memory, as I know once I get back into it it'll come on easier than the first time, LOL.
Hey, Angry Johnny, I apologize for the tread diversion. Back on track.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
I got on RockAuto's email list, for notifications if and when certain parts come in. I'm contemplating re installing my RWAL module( get away, MKnittle! Leave me alone!! Inside joke) and today they notified me, surprised as all get out. I thought for sure those things were no longer available. Picked it up, as they only had one come in. ( back off, Mark! I know you already told me those crap out!!!)
I got to check my brakes today at 60 MPH on Highway 80 west bound at the Rocklin Rd on ramp some IDIOT coming onto the highway it a contractors van decided he would dive into traffic going 60-65 MPH going about 30 MPH I was boxed in on the left and had them locked up and coming at him pretty fast. I thought I had him. Any who the old Dodge slowed down pretty straight. I would have hit him for sure with the old anti-lock and vacuum brakes.
My wife called the phone number so conveniently plastered on the back of the van and reported what he had done to his manager. probably wont do any good though.

Quick Reply: Moog, Mevotech & Quick Steer front end parts