1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Massive oil leak but dipstick lying

Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massive oil leak but dipstick lying

My tappet cover has been leaking like a sieve for a few weeks. Its very noticable and for the first week the dipstick would of course read low. but for the last few weeks its read above or at normal. A friend tested the oil and there was a very very small amount of diesel in it. This is a93 with almost 400k. I have the new seal but am intiminated about installing it. What will i need tool wise to remove the ve to get to it, im at school and have very limited tools. Thanks fr any help, and please excuse anyh bad gramme3r as i have drank a uber monster and it has me tweaking haha
Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 AM

I have never replaced the tappet cover seal but I don't believe you need to remove the ve to get to it. You might have to work around it some because a part of the cover is behind the ve but you should be able to get it.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Taking the VE off to replace the front seal ?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 PM

not the front seal the seal on the side of the block
Old 04-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Reapertura
not the front seal the seal on the side of the block
Well, the dipstick isn't lying to you. The seal that's doing more than making a mess is probably the front shaft seal on the VE pump, letting fuel get into the timing cover and thus into the oil pan. Replacing it involves removing and reinstalling the VE pump. If you don't stop the fuel leak, you'll trash the engine.

If the slip on valve cover gasket has you skeered, the pump is way out of your league, especially if yer 3 sheets to the wind. Probably worth paying someone to throw a seal kit into the VE pump. Might as well have them adjust the valves and install fresh rocker cover gaskets while they're at it. They're silly-cone and should last 100K or so. (a bunch of valve adjustments)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Well, the dipstick isn't lying to you. The seal that's doing more than making a mess is probably the front shaft seal on the VE pump, letting fuel get into the timing cover and thus into the oil pan. Replacing it involves removing and reinstalling the VE pump. If you don't stop the fuel leak, you'll trash the engine.

If the slip on valve cover gasket has you skeered, the pump is way out of your league, especially if yer 3 sheets to the wind. Probably worth paying someone to throw a seal kit into the VE pump. Might as well have them adjust the valves and install fresh rocker cover gaskets while they're at it. They're silly-cone and should last 100K or so. (a bunch of valve adjustments)
That's where I was getting at. Fixing the oil leak won't fix the diesel in oil.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm willing to bet you have a factory diaphragm lift pump. The diaphragms are known to tear and allow fuel to enter the crankcase. Since those are easy to replace, start by checking yours first before you go removing the injection pump to find out that seal is fine.

Knock on wood but, my '90 has 400K+ miles on the clock with the original injection pump and I haven't had a front seal leak from it. Not all pumps have equal lifespans though but just trying to give you some hope.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
I'm willing to bet you have a factory diaphragm lift pump. The diaphragms are known to tear and allow fuel to enter the crankcase. Since those are easy to replace, start by checking yours first before you go removing the injection pump to find out that seal is fine.

Knock on wood but, my '90 has 400K+ miles on the clock with the original injection pump and I haven't had a front seal leak from it. Not all pumps have equal lifespans though but just trying to give you some hope.
The lift pump totally slipped my mind. I always assume front deal since I have an airdog and am paranoid about mine blowing out.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklawinsky
That's where I was getting at. Fixing the oil leak won't fix the diesel in oil.
"A friend tested the oil and there was a very very small amount of diesel in it. This is a93 with almost 400k."
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
"A friend tested the oil and there was a very very small amount of diesel in it. This is a93 with almost 400k."
And the purpose for this post is....?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 PM

I would think more than a tiny bit of diesel is in the oil if he has a "massive" leak and the dipstick is normal or above normal.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I have never replaced the tappet cover seal but I don't believe you need to remove the ve to get to it. You might have to work around it some because a part of the cover is behind the ve but you should be able to get it.
The VE has to come off to replace the tappet cover gasket. Might as well replace the front seal on the VE while it's off and take a look at the LP as well. I know that a piston LP has to come off to remove the tappet cover but a stock diaphragm might not have to. I'd pull it anyway and check it out.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 PM

thank u marc