1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Looking at Custom Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at Custom Springs

I'm in the process of building a crew cab 4x4 and have finally gotten some time and $ to get back into the build. I am looking at having the stock springs reworked. I spoke with the "head guy" at Custom Springs, a local suspension shop, and he says he can add a new longer main leaf (for a better ride), use the original main leaf as the second spring, and the rest of the pack would remain the same. I have to come up with all the measurements I want applied.
I am wanting the truck to ride on 35 - 38" tires. A min. of 35" tires, but preffer 37 - 38". I need to figure out how much to add to each end of the spring and how much arch I want/need. I'm looking for some input from some of ya'll who have done this before and thoughts on what you would do whether you've done it before or not.

I have looked into just purchasing some springs from a 99/2000 or later model 4x4 superduty. I can't find any locally and the ones I've found on ebay or craigslist want around $250 for the pair. I can have the springs built for $150 a spring. Having them built will eliminate a lot of fab work. So...... whatcha think?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if I gained any lift but that is exactly the route that I took. They cut off the old main leafs and made a new main leaf for each side of my front springs. My cost was $90 per spring locally.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Those springs look good and $90 is a darn good price I'd say. Do you feel that the truck rides any better?
As far as ride height, my springs eyelets were riding below the axle tube. Not sure how yours was riding, but as long as mine don't flatten out or invert then I'll gain an inch or more ride height. I'm looking for about 4 - 5" of lift.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with teh skyjacvker 8 in spring's and they worked great but I also had 3 in body lift n was running 39's
Old 11-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Super Duty springs are far too long to work, they're approximatley 10" longer than the stock springs in these trucks.
I managed to score a set of 8" skyjacker springs from a buddy for cheap. I re-used my stock mains, the 1st and second leaf below the mains out of the skyjacker pack, and the rest of my stock pack, minus the short bottom overload spring.
Went from this:
Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  75.8 KB

to this:
Name:  gettingthere2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  posin-001.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  121.6 KB
35's fit nicely, it rides better than any other first gen I've been in, and it cost me $150.
Some day I'm going to do something with the rears...
Old 11-12-2009, 03:23 PM

The superduty springs being 10" longer is way to long if I were going to reuse the stock hangers, but I was/am planning on relocating the hangers. Regardless of what springs I go with they will be significantly longer than stock. I realize the geometry will change and I'm prepared to make the necessary modifications. I do appreciate the tip though! Opinions is what I'm wanting.
The new spring pack you made for your ride looks good and is about the ride height I'm looking for. Maybe a little taller, but not much. You say it made a significant improvement in ride quality! That's good to know. I just might keep with the stock length. I noticed that the rear springs on our trucks are about 4" longer than the front. The center, of rear spring, is same length away from front eyelet as the front spring. Just the rear eyelet is 4" longer. I was thinking of maybe mixing and matching some spring packs to get a longer front spring. Wonder how well that would work?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinnyBTN
Those springs look good and $90 is a darn good price I'd say. Do you feel that the truck rides any better?
As far as ride height, my springs eyelets were riding below the axle tube. Not sure how yours was riding, but as long as mine don't flatten out or invert then I'll gain an inch or more ride height. I'm looking for about 4 - 5" of lift.
I won't have an answer for a while. This is on my crew cab 2WD to 4WD conversion and it's still just a rolling chassis at this time.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:30 AM

Rears in the front is a common wheeling swap, Chevy guys do it too, but, I doubt there will be enough spring rate to hold up a CTD, they're soft under a small block.
Where I got lucky is that I was able to add quite a bit of arch to the spring pack without adding spring rate, if I had of used more of the 8" pack, or my existing stock stuff was less worn out, the ride quality wouldn't be there.
We'll see how it holds up to the plow this winter, that extra thousand pounds hopefully won't kill the springs again...
Old 11-13-2009, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im interested in finding a small 1-2inch lift spring that also keeps the suspension stiff for handling. my friend has a SJ lift and it floats all over the place
Old 11-13-2009, 06:10 AM

Im planning on swapping late model chevy springs in the rear with a shackle flip. Im considering even going with 1/2 ton springs because i don't tow much.
as far as the fronts i figured a skyjacker would help things out. I'm thinking if i get the rear situated it would make a big overall difference.