1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Look for some power

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Look for some power

Im in a little bit of a delema right now, I am lookin for some more power but i dont know what to do. I know the next bit of money i spend is going to go into the torque converter. But after that i am not sure, I usually like to know what im savin for. I dont really want to run drugs i have thought about it but i am going to try to avoid it until i am making some good numbers on #2. Right now i just have no smoke at full thorttle so i have some more room for fuel with my turbo, but i do plan to upgrade it some time.
I figure when i go for some more power i will blow a head gastket, so when that happens i will add 12mm studs, o-ring the head, and a thicker head gasket. But for now the head gasket is still good so ill burn that bridge when I get there. Any suggestions?????????
Old 02-22-2006, 10:38 AM

You could do a bar stock fuel pin for more travel
Old 02-22-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can modify your delivery valves. im not quite sure how but i heard you can cut them to get some more power, also you can have custom injectors made and other then that i don't know except more air.

edit: I ust looked and saw your non-ic so you could look at putting one in. Im currently trying to get things organized to see about putting one in.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FP gauge and piston LP. The FP gauge will show you why you're not smoking on the top end, I'm sure of it. PODs are a thirsty bunch. Splice in some big-**** fuel line too. Coupling those mods with some tranny work will be your biggest bang for the buck. Intercooling is going to get expensive as you'll likely have to source an entire front clip from an IC donor truck...plus, you've gotta hang onto the old-school Dodge grill untill they pry it from your cold, dead hands!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 AM

I'd put the studs in BEFORE you blow a gasket...it could prevent a blowout for a long time at sub-twins boost levels

Do as I say, not as I do -->ARP's still on shelf, 65psi daily on stock head bolts and gasket
Chris
Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
FP gauge and piston LP.
I already have a piston LP I thought about a fuel pressure guage but after i put on the piston pump i didnt really think it is a must.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ihpower
I already have a piston LP I thought about a fuel pressure guage but after i put on the piston pump i didnt really think it is a must.
my bad guess it's time to cool the charge air...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:13 PM

lol ya i already saw he had a piston lp or else i would have mentioned it. what are you seeing for max egts? or are you even able to keep it on long enough without it getting too hot?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
lol ya i already saw he had a piston lp or else i would have mentioned it. what are you seeing for max egts? or are you even able to keep it on long enough without it getting too hot?
My egt are well under control. I dont know how but on wide open runs up a hill i can barly reach 1300* and on the flat 1250* is hard to reach even on 0 to 90mph runs.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:31 PM

wow those are pretty low. what boost #'s are you seeing? I didn't think that stage 3 would keep things that cool on a non ic truck. Is your fuel screw max out before runaway? and you got the timing advanced alot? most guys are saying on a non ic with pods the pump should be right to the head
Old 02-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
wow those are pretty low. what boost #'s are you seeing? I didn't think that stage 3 would keep things that cool on a non ic truck. Is your fuel screw max out before runaway? and you got the timing advanced alot? most guys are saying on a non ic with pods the pump should be right to the head
I am running on the edge of the little h1c it is makin about 36-38 lbs of boost. The fuel screw if as far as i can get it before runaway, and the timing is Way up there. the pump is really close to the head.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:43 PM

I guess the only stuff you could do is the stuff I said earlier, cut the delivery valves, custom injectors, more air, and cool the air. Other then that stuff I really don't know. Did you have all those mods when you dynoed 293 hp ecept the piston lift pump? BTW I heard that grinding the fuel pin and afc actually makes you lose power . Its ok to do one or the other but not both.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow, just think of all the power I'd have if I hadn't ground that AFC.

IHpower, you can get some more fuel out of your current setup by having the injectors repopped to 275 bar. An intercooler would be a step in the right direction before you add fuel.

Your dyno numbers will improve some just from the TC.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Wow, just think of all the power I'd have if I hadn't ground that AFC.

IHpower, you can get some more fuel out of your current setup by having the injectors repopped to 275 bar. An intercooler would be a step in the right direction before you add fuel.

Your dyno numbers will improve some just from the TC.
Im not sure if your being sarcastic or not when saying that but it was from a very reliable source. He said its fine if you do one or the other but not both and I didn't totally understand why he had said that
Old 02-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry, I should have added the little guy.

My truck had a ground fuel pin in it when I got it. Power went up when I ground the AFC lever.

Quick Reply: Look for some power