1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Lock up TC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Lock up TC?

I think I have read most of the threads on torque converters. I have concluded that the stock converter in front of the A518 is like the 21cm exhaust housing. Nobody wants it, they are inefficient, and should never have been installed in the first place.
Now here are my questions.

How much better is the lock up torque converter compared to the 89% or 91% TC?

Is it worth the added expense and trouble?

A new flex plate and TC is in the works for my truck in the near future. I am looking for more power so the old TC will become toast by the end of this summer, if I ain't careful . (and I'm not)
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatnik
I think I have read most of the threads on torque converters. I have concluded that the stock converter in front of the A518 is like the 21cm exhaust housing. Nobody wants it, they are inefficient, and should never have been installed in the first place.
Now here are my questions.

Is it worth the added expense and trouble?

A new flex plate and TC is in the works for my truck in the near future. I am looking for more power so the old TC will become toast by the end of this summer, if I ain't careful . (and I'm not)

I don't think you can put a lock up convertor in your truck?? The differance between a stock 60-70% tc and a good 89% is night and day differance! Heck a tighter tc will be very close to a lock up at cruising rpm, but you will need serious hp to get 90% and tighter moving.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HTML Code:
That last 10% under power is a real kick in the backside! The tighter converter gets you rolling faster then hit lockup, floor it, and hang on. It's all a matter of perception as far as the associated cost.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yuo can't get a lock up T/C for our trucks unless you have one of the rare late model '93 that had it from factory. The computer doesn't have a provision to know what to do with a lock up.

A tighter T/C is definatly a good upgrade. On mine it made the same difference as going from the stock turbo exhaust housing to a 16cm one.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:39 PM

From what I understand it is possilble to change the internal parts to make it a lockup trans, but I'm not going to get into that. I think Txs know's what parts to change. It was easier for me to buy one from a 94-95 truck.

I put a 47RH in mine in about one weekend.
-the bellhousing adaptor is thicker, about 1" to make room for the torque converter clutches. Any of them will do, 94-02 autos are the same.
-Starter off a 2nd gen for the above.
-Additional pin in the conector to control lockup. I use a switch, I control lockup and I think I do a much better job than the computer does anyway.
-Trans mount is going to need the slots lengthed to accomidate the 1" thicker bellhousing adaptor.
-Drives shafts MAY need to be shortened/lengthed. I didn't, the only thing I did was move the carrier bearing mount with 3/8 flat steel.
-Couple of other things I left out.

Is it worth the trouble? Yup.
Is it worth the expense? That an something you need to answer. I bought everything I needed for $900 used.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cLAYH
Yuo can't get a lock up T/C for our trucks unless you have one of the rare late model '93 that had it from factory. The computer doesn't have a provision to know what to do with a lock up.
Sure can, you can and use your original transmission also to save a few bucks. There are few differences between the 46RH and 47RH as far as hard parts go and all the gen2 pieces will fit with only minor changes.

Computer?? We don't need no stinkin' computer!! Mystery switches work quite well, or, if one is more creative a Hobbs switch, or, the more affluent will purchase a lockup controller.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RickCJ
I don't think you can put a lock up convertor in your truck?? The differance between a stock 60-70% tc and a good 89% is night and day differance! Heck a tighter tc will be very close to a lock up at cruising rpm, but you will need serious hp to get 90% and tighter moving.
How serious do I need to get? I am loosing 40 or more ponies with the stock TC. That would put me at 230 hp plus. There is still room to turn the fuel up, I think, now that the 16cm is installed I not running as hot exhaust as before. Has anyone lugged a diesel with an automatic?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:43 PM

How serious do I need to get? I am loosing 40 or more ponies with the stock TC. That would put me at 230 hp plus. There is still room to turn the fuel up, I think, now that the 16cm is installed I not running as hot exhaust as before. Has anyone lugged a diesel with an automatic?
You need to talk to the trans. co. and tell them exactly what you have and what you want and they will recomened the correct tc for you! Drag racing or towing or daily driver will require differant set-ups.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:16 PM

Howdy,

I just posted this in a thread, but I'll add it here too...

Checkout this website for a way to automatically control your OD and Lock-up convertor with an oil pressure switch (or two) screwed into the side of the trans and a vacume switch.

I thought it was pretty slick...

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/alto_3.htm

Vinny
Old 02-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

The question you need to answer is "How serious do I want to get?". You don't NEED anything else unless there is a problem that is impacting your truck actually working. It all boils down to how many $$$ are you willing to spend. To do these transmissions right and hold the TQ is not cheap so before you start turning the power up factor in some $$ for a trans because you WILL kill it at much over 250 HP at the motor.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by JD730
Any of them will do, 94-02 autos are the same.
Just FYI , they switched to a 47RE in 96.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by JD730
-the bellhousing adaptor is thicker, about 1" to make room for the torque converter clutches. Any of them will do, 94-02 autos are the same.
JKM, trust me I know the evolution of the autos in these trucks. I guess I should say that any bellhousing adaptor from an auto(don't know if 5/6 speeds are the same or not) will work from 94-02 for installing a 47RH into a 1st gen.