1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

King pin

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
King pin

Would the nylon washer cause the wheel to wobble? I'm going to take a look at the inside of the king pin and see what is up. How does one know if the king pin is still good?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If its broken it could cause the whole knuckle to wobble yes.

You pretty much have to disassemble the whole kingpin to tell if its damaged at all, at that point you might aswell replace them. Although the kingpins themselves don't damage easily.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BILTIT
Although the kingpins themselves don't damage easily.
That's the nice thing about those kingpin D60s - they will literally last forever with minimal maintenance, and changing the bushings is about as close to a no-brainer job as it gets.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
If its broken it could cause the whole knuckle to wobble yes.

You pretty much have to disassemble the whole kingpin to tell if its damaged at all, at that point you might aswell replace them. Although the kingpins themselves don't damage easily.
My upper right was worn, lower right was cracked. They do go bad...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by maybe368
.... lower right was cracked.
Unnnnnghhh?!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nadir Point
Unnnnnghhh?!
I am not sure if you need the Heimlich maneuver or more info, so here is more info...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Banned

I'm not sure if you know the difference between a bearing and a kingpin. We were talking about kingpins.

And the only reason kingpins or bearings in these D60s go bad is a lack of maintenance which includes changing the bushings once in awhile before the pins get damaged.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure if you know the difference between a bearing and a kingpin. We were talking about kingpins.
So that crack in my lower king pin is a bearing? I am not sure what planet you are from, but if you give me the address I'll happily send you my lower king pin with the crack, or the bearing as you call it...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My upper right was worn, lower right was cracked. They do go bad...Mark
Yup, they do go bad and wear but pretty minimal for the amount of time normally.

I just change them out on every kingpin truck i have owned, piece of mind more than anything.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Yup, they do go bad and wear but pretty minimal for the amount of time normally.

I just change them out on every kingpin truck i have owned, piece of mind more than anything.
No doubt. I believe in fixing or replacing everything that I have to go through to get to something else, it is just smart mechanics. I am not sure how I could have done all that work not knowing the difference between a bearing and a king pin. My truck had over 300k miles by the time I replaced mine, so they have an extraordinarily long service life. I try to stay away from generalizations like: "They never go bad", because you can bet your **** that mine would be the first. I keep an extra room for Murphy. I might try some of that maintenance stuff sometime, but it scares me...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

So what did you hit to crack a kingpin? Maybe you are not the original owner....

One out of how many thousand kingpins on those axles makes a pretty good generalization. Too bad the previous owner beat your truck and did not do the necessary maintenance. Lucky you bought it and fixed his (cough - your) problem!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Okay, I guess I need to check them out. Shouldn't take long at all.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Administrator

So what did you hit to crack a kingpin? Maybe you are not the original owner....
If you had bothered to read the thread, you would have read that I believe is was lateral stress from the total failure of the upper. Maybe I am the fiftieth owner, how would you know without asking? I see that you are new here, so I am really trying to be nice to you, if a little sarcastic. I am the second owner and the truck has never been wrecked, except the small rear end I got after a major dust storm around here a couple of years ago. There are major forces being applied in all directions of all the moving parts and I know I am not smart enough to know how they all work. If you really want to know something, PM me, otherwise it may be wise to stop seeing the world as black and white, because it is full of grey...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

If you had bothered to read the thread, you would have read that I believe is was lateral stress from the total failure of the upper.
Of course nobody can give a completely accurate forensic analysis. If it was not impact damage (highly probable) I'd otherwise characterize it as total failure of the maintainer. Must have been pretty hard to steer like that. At least you got it fixed - good job!
how would you know without asking?
Didn't ask - presumed. (correctly so)

Maybe you didn't understand my post.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Administrator

One out of how many thousand kingpins on those axles makes a pretty good generalization. Too bad the previous owner beat your truck and did not do the necessary maintenance. Lucky you bought it and fixed his (cough - your) problem!
I would get that cough checked, could be cancer from lack of maintenance...

Quick Reply: King pin