1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Kill Cable and Fusible Links

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kill Cable and Fusible Links

Just purshased a '93 W250 CTD,Getrag,4wd,LE and all that good stuff. Truck is showing 297k on the odo but neither it or the speedo works and believed to have close to 400k on it but it runs,drives just like these great old trucks do...like a battle wagon so that's what I've named it

It has just a few minor problems that I know how to fix most and already in the process but a few that I've been browsing trying to find some info but couldn't find my exact answers so figured I'd start a thread. Main question for now is about installing a kill cable. I'm a extremely simple minded feller and like the idea. Also seeing how the wires around the steering column have been butchered some,been fixed,butchered again etc. When I shut it off sometimes it'll shut down and sometimes it'll stay running. Then have to poke it in 5th,brake and dump the clutch. No real biggie to me honestly but a kill cable would be nicer I believe I need to know where I need to mount the cable to. I took a picture below with a arrow pointing at the lever. Does the cable need to be hooked there and when I pull the cable that kill the motor or am I WAY off(if so then help a white boy out please)

Next is the fusible link problem with all these things. It doesn't have problems right at the moment but all these I've had problems with the links. I looked at THIS THREAD about cutting it all out and putting fuses in place of them but in reading the post noticed there was several differences in opinions on if it was good or not. I know enough to barely get me by with wiring but trying my best to learn as much as possible because I honestly enjoy doing wiring in these things. Picture below shows the wiring on my drivers fender and that stinks and I want it changed to something better and have the ability to add on like 4RnrRick was saying about the CB and such. What are everyones opinon on his setup,have others done this without many problems and anymore indepth info on how the wiring is actually done on something like that would be awesome. I'm planning to relay my headlights and all also but wanted to do this if possible when I do the rest and I'm also going to upgrade all the lights I can to LED...P-I-M-P haha Thanks guys

Jimbo
Old 09-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
YES, hook your kill-cable to the hole in that lever.

There are many pictures around of just how others have accomplished this.

I would not hesitate to replace the fusible links with fuses.

Common sense can dictate what size fuse would be appropriate.

I had much rather be beside the road with a fuse I could see blown, than with a hidden fusible-link burned in two.

Dodge seems to be notorious for fusible-link problems, as it is brought up in many Dodge related forums.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who have gone to a cable fuel shutoff what are you doing with the electrical shutoff removing it and taking the end off then re install it or remove permanently and inserting some sort of plug in the hole ?