1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just picked this up 10 min ago

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 07:40 PM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
It always helps to crack the return line on the Inj. pump. It's the air in the inj. pump that's giving you fits.

Edwin

makes since. I’ll do that tomar after work. ****. I wish I would have seen this earlier. Day two. Still no start At all. No worries though. Thanks Edwin
Old 03-06-2020, 04:29 PM

Well. Still no start. I tried bleeding the fuel return line. No start. Took a rag and soaked it in gas. It will fire but will not run. Fuel still looks bubbly. It’s only day three and I still have a little day light left. Gonna keep trying. Waiting for battery and jump box to recharge. I’m absolutely sure I put everything back together right. I know it’s in time. Like I said before. Last time took me 4 days to get the red truck to start. Anyone got any ideas.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:09 PM

so all in all I had a pretty good day. Got the inter cooler in. It is tight. Got all the parts from far from stock. Really good people. Had a few issues and they were all over it. The intercooler install is not for someone that is hesitant to cut. I lost the hood latch and had to do some creative grinding to get it to fit. Still need to get some different coupling to make the piping work. Radiator install is pretty much just a replacement. Fit really well. Took 4 days to get it started. Oliver hit the nail on the head. I missed the hot wire to the fss. When I put a jumper on it to the battery it hit first try and ran like a top. Thanks to every one for the insight. This is a great site and really appreciate all the knowledge here.

my neighbors in the campground are glad I’m done. Lol. I’ll post more pics when I finish the intercooler.
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 06:02 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 764 Posts
Doh!
Old 03-13-2020, 09:22 AM

I I finally took the truck for a test drive yesterday. And boy did it run good. The old injection pump must have been getting week. The new pump si set at factory settings with a 3200 spring and a fuel pin. It cruises at 70 with no problem. Only gives a quick puff of black smoke from a stop and even then u have to get on it harder than we ever do. The driver side intercooler pipeing turned out pretty good. I’m not happy with the passenger side. I’m gonna redo that over the next couple of days. I think with a little better turbo it’s gonna really be a much better tow vehicle. It was already a good one but needed a little up dating. I do not have plans on turning up the pump at this time. Here are some pics

Old 03-13-2020, 05:27 PM

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts
Looking good Dan and glad everything worked out!
I'm still on the fence about getting the fuel pin and 3200 spring. Do these two items make a big enough difference in a daily driver or should I just stay stock setup?
Old 03-13-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Taylorm2121
Looking good Dan and glad everything worked out!
I'm still on the fence about getting the fuel pin and 3200 spring. Do these two items make a big enough difference in a daily driver or should I just stay stock setup?
thanks. And yes. The 3200 spring is well worth it. If your not sure about the pin I would do the spring and drive it. Then turn the factory pin to the “hot” side. Look through this forum and you will find how to do both. The spring is not as hard as one might think. The fuel pin is very easy. There are a lot of aftermarket pins out there some not so aggressive and some that just flat out let it fuel to the max. Like I said before. Try the hot side of the pin first and see what u think. U can always turn it back. Definitely do the spring.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:35 PM

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan s
thanks. And yes. The 3200 spring is well worth it. If your not sure about the pin I would do the spring and drive it. Then turn the factory pin to the “hot” side. Look through this forum and you will find how to do both. The spring is not as hard as one might think. The fuel pin is very easy. There are a lot of aftermarket pins out there some not so aggressive and some that just flat out let it fuel to the max. Like I said before. Try the hot side of the pin first and see what u think. U can always turn it back. Definitely do the spring.
Ok, I will definitely plan on doing one or both then. I have watched a lot of videos on the spring and pin install. The spring install makes me a little nervous to try. Seems I have a tendency to screw up more than I fix when working on stuff. Give a backhoe or a sledge hammer and I can get stuff done, but tedious finish work is not my forte. I remolded the inside of my house, lights, faucets, toilets, flooring, doors etc. But still haven't laid quarter round, caulking and finish stuff. I had it and suck at it.
nonrev (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 07:57 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Taylorm2121
Ok, I will definitely plan on doing one or both then. I have watched a lot of videos on the spring and pin install. The spring install makes me a little nervous to try. Seems I have a tendency to screw up more than I fix when working on stuff. Give a backhoe or a sledge hammer and I can get stuff done, but tedious finish work is not my forte. I remolded the inside of my house, lights, faucets, toilets, flooring, doors etc. But still haven't laid quarter round, caulking and finish stuff. I had it and suck at it.
It's best to mark and back out your fuel screw before you put the top back on after changing the spring. Otherwise you run the risk of trapping the lever the fuel pin pushes on with the underside of the fuel screw. This completely ***** things up. Don't as me how I know.

After you have the top back on you can screw the fuel screw back in to its original position. You marked it, right?

Edwin
Old 03-16-2020, 05:20 AM

Dropped the ole girl off at the exhaust shop this morning
Taylorm2121 (03-16-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 07:13 AM

So I got the exhaust on last week and it sounds pretty good. It’s 4 inch straight pipe. I may put a free flowing muffler/designator on it later. I got up this morning and drove it to work for the first time since I have done all the injection pump work. We put the gauges in last weekend so I can see what it’s doing. It cruises easily at 75 with the cruise control. Egts stay at about 700 on the open highway. Never had gauges before so I’m not sure how much the new 7.3 intercooler helped things. Max boost in it is about 23 psi. Seems to run a lot cooler on the water temp side with the new radiator. But it was cool this morning in Florida. We will see how it does this afternoon on the way home. All in all it runs a lot better with the new injection pump. I believe the other one was gettting week. I pushed it to 80 mph and it still had throttle left. The 3200 governor spring made a huge difference. After all this work I’m plied with the way it turned out. I still think it needs a different turbo. Think I’m just gonna go with an hx35 for now. Still haven’t turned up the pump. Has anyone put bigger injectors in without turning it up? Is that a good/bad idea.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:10 AM

Running about 70 mph

Temp looks good

Oil pressure at highway speed. Sorry it’s blury

Oil pressure at stop light in drive.

so I took the truck to get a radio and speakers and thought I’d post some pics of how it is acting. It’s running really good. The exhaust is a little loud but not so much u can’t talk to a passenger. I should have it back tomar and then I’ll be looking for someone to Linex the bed. I’m still thinking about putting a turbo and some injectors in it. May wait till I get home.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:17 AM

So I decided to pull the trigger on a new trans for the truck. I got an adapter plate from olie last Saturday. Dropped the truck off at a shop that has been helping me with the truck since I have been in Florida. I went with a triple disk converter and billet in put shaft. The trans should be more than capable considering I’m not trying to put a lot of power out of the motor.

I took all the necessary parts for the swap. Adapter plate, starter, flexplate, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, trans mount and of course trans and torque converter.

I know the cross member will need to be relocated 1 inch. My question is. How do I activate the lock on the 47rh. I know the tps will put it in overdrive.

thanks for the input in advance
Old 05-12-2020, 08:40 AM

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,600 Posts
I ordered the Compushift mini controller for my 47RH I am putting in my '78 Ramcharger. I have received it and it looks great, I have not had the time to get that project together enough to tell you how well it works though.

I know cougar and PapeCat on this forum have used it and both had good things to say about it.

Glad the adapter plate showed up safely.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:43 AM

Thanks Ollie. The adapter looked great. I’m hopping to get off work in time to go by the shop and snap some pics today. Where did u get the compushift

Quick Reply: Just picked this up 10 min ago