1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

just did king pins

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
just did king pins

well my truck reallyy needed king pins so i got the kit and went to work, the truck sure needed it as i found the drivers side spindle had a groove the size of the bearing race because the previous owner let the bearings sieze and then figured time to replace it and did the bearings but not the spindle, so i am figuring a way to fix it, my boss sujested jb weld since it is not moving and nither will the bearing race if i get the diameter the same. so i carried on in to the kings pings and the bushings were about worn right through the bushing material, the bottom bearings on both side were stiff and they just fell apart when i pulled them out, the driver side spindle where the axle shaft goes through, had no bearings to support the axle shaft whitch then rattled inside the spindle and threw every bearing piece into shreds, and there were no seals, but i got them all replaced and now im just dwelling on the idea of jb welding the spindle and takin my time at smoothing and using the tools to get the diameter exact so that the bearing will fit snug, what do you all think of doing this? because the jb weld has worked on caterpiller blocks, why cant they work on a spindle if i took my time?, heres a pic of the bushing from the passenger side, along side my burnt piston from the sled, the carnige display :
Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JB Weld is great stuff for certain applications, but I don't think that's one of them.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:23 AM

ahah oh, ok so iv been told by many, i think ill look to see what there are for spindles, the new one is 300 CAD so ill look up some junk yards and see what they got.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhhhhh, Yeah. They used it on Cat blocks to seal up an oil or antifreeze leak perhaps. NOT to support the entire weight of the vehicle!

I would NOT recommend doing that, NOR would I recommend listening to your boss' advice ever again!

Check your local junkyards, ebay, or the classifieds of this here website. You should be able to find a used spindle cheap enough.

Good luck, and be SAFE!!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:48 AM

hmm yes true, but my boss is quite nolligable in other things but i guess 4x4 trucks he isent, he said they did that on there stock cars, whitch iss flat ground and for a day not years, hes also very old school
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you know of a good welding/fabrication shop, they can usually build the spindle up with weld and then machine it back to spec.