1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Johny5's Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bigredbrick, I recently replaced the carpet in my club cab truck, and I used that common wool-blanket type insulation to help reduce the noise. I just laid two layers of it underneath the carpet and covered as much of the firewall as I could reach. It seems really quiet inside the cab. I have no muffler and a six inch rolled tip (which resonates pretty loudly), so it's pretty loud outside but not loud inside. I can drive a good distance (3-5 hours), and it does not bother me one bit. That's my two cents for reducing the noise...hope it helps.

Dawson
Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
Man, you've got to figure out how to get your crew quiet before I do mine! In your pics looks like you Dynomatted the back wall of the cab, did you put anything inside the doors? Headliner should help.

I did put a full sheet in each door and two on the back wall .when I do the head liner im going to put a few sheet up there too.

One thing I find really annoying it the roof oil cans from the wind and the over hang of the camper . sounds like someones jumping on the roof at 60 mph
Im going to spray foam inside the roof more when I do the head liner
Old 12-14-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep us posted about that foam!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 AM

Since RB's Obsolete had the Cool-Car ceramic insulation on backorder and did not inform me after 3 weeks of waiting on it I have done some research. Seems all the high priced ceramic paint on insulating materials aka Lizard Skin, Cool-Car and such are a simple mixture of an exterior latex paint with ceramic micro spheres added to it. Having been a radio control aircraft enthusiast I have used ceramic spheres mixed with epoxy to form various fillets on model aircraft. I would buy these ceramic spheres (Micro Balloons is what they are called) in bulk from either Aircraft Spruce or Wicks Aircraft Supply. A gallon bag of the spheres cost about $6.00. You can see the potential cost savings here. A one gallon pail of exterior latex house paint, add some Micro Balloons to it and you basically have the same thing as Lizard Skin or Cool-Car for a mere fraction of the price. A 2 gallon pail of Lizard Skin is about $160
Hotrodders Forum
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 AM

Very sweet build. That is what I would love to do to my 78 D200 but I don't have the time or money so I did the quickly resto.

Floors, body work, and it needs the paint yet.

Congrats on a great job I love that paint too.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
A nice fat blanket of insulation under the carpet like EatMySmoke used is worth a try, maybe some of that on the back wall and under interior door panels too.

Johny5, have you priced the Dynomat equivalent that Summit Racing sells? There is a structural autobody foam available - don't know anything about it tho. I'm wondering about the compatibility of the foam with whatever I use to kill and seal the rust in the roof. i need to pay a visit to some auto paint supply stores and annoy them with lots of questions!

Bogie, I've assumed that ceramic insulation is for heat not sound. Heat hasn't been an issue with my truck. It was with my old Scout, you could fry an egg on it's floor.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 PM

I haven't tried it yet but will be doing it come spring, I have read that it does help with noise as well at heat due to adding some mass to the panels. I will be doing some sort of sound control as well (Dynamat,Fatmat,Etc)
Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Johny5, beautiful job on your truck!! I just wish I had your ambition to just get my truck painted.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used this from the local speed shop, works as well as Dynamat but is considerably cheaper. It made a big difference on my ClubCab on the floor and up the back wall.

http://www.thermotec.com/cool-it-mat.html
Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love your shop, nice build!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stihl
I love your shop, nice build!
thanks.
For the dynamat I wanted something water proof and not water absorbing

I did use some other product that i was sold as sound proofing for a hundred bucks for 5L
It was for heat , I powerwashed the stuff out the next day and used the hippo liner to seal the floor before the dynamat
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 AM

anyone have any experience with these products?

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

One dodge listed with it:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/rides...p?userride=131

They are local to me. Looking for quietness out of the Ramcharger.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Well I have been running the truck a year and half and now Im thinking of selling her.

Time for a newer long box and maybe an auto

So if you want to save your self a lot of time and $$ Im looking to get $15000 for her.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pictures?????
Old 04-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
pictures?????
Go back to the beginning of this thread and start reading....you can see the entire build....with pics....

Quick Reply: Johny5's Crew Cab