1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Insulation for Quiet

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insulation for Quiet

A while back there was a discussion about adding some kind of insulation for quietness in the cab. I'm redoing my 89 and ready to finish, but I can't remember what was out there to put under the floormats to keep the noise. Can anyone tell me what is the best solution and where to get it. Is it heatshield or something else? Thanx
Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Here's some: http://www.hushmat.com/
Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM

I found some carpet in the attic, put 2 layers under the rubber floor, and put some in the doors. It helped quite a bit, and it was free.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

I just went to the local auto parts store and bought that jute insulation with the aluminum foil backing on it and it worked perfectly. now its nice and quiet.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out this old thread about cab insulation.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Ive got hush mat under my floor mat, behind the door panels, and up inside the rear cab post and a big piece of dynaliner behind the seat. Seemed to help quite a bit. Wish i would of have a decimeter to actually check the #'s
Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've thought about doing some extra insulating on my pickup. I have the stock exhaust with muffler delete. The sound has started to lose it's "coolness" and is now getting kinda annoying. I get a nice humming drone on the freeway and it gets old after a while of driving. I have even entertained the idea of putting a muffler back on. I really like how it sounds outside.........but the noise inside is something I could do without. All my carpeting and door paneling is original equipment. I might have a few options to fix this issue............
Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM

My 91 had a bad life . I had to gut its interior and start from scratch. After tearing every thing out and sanitizing/scrubbing the steel panels I laid sound deadner. I covered the floor, back wall, firewall, rear pillars, roof, doors and the cavities behind the doors. I also lined the door skin from inside the door. (see pic) I used two layers on everything and three layers in a few key spots. I expect this too be much quieter then my 90. My prefered brand of sound deadner is Dynamat but I got a sweet deal on some stuff called B-Quiet. I like the dynamat brand more as its thicker but the price was right. I have access to a DB meter so maybe I'll get a chance to mic the DB level inside the cab at some point. Anyway heres a couple pics. I wont know how good the stuff is till next week, it'll finally be on the road then.
Attached Thumbnails Insulation for Quiet-dynamatt-cab.jpg   Insulation for Quiet-dynamatt-doors.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 AM

I started that thread linked above a few years ago on my old 1st gen. For a quick and cheap job, it really does the trick. A few months before I sold the truck, I ripped the interior out completely and redid everything.

I was working at a hot rod shop and we used Lizard Skin for thermal and noise reduction. Man that stuff really works great, but it's expensive. So while searching for a cheaper solution on another customers car, I came across a sound deadening paste called Spectrum Sludge. I ordered some for the customers car, and a bucket for myself.

I basically painted the entire interior with a hand brush with the Spectrum Sludge. 3 coats made it about 1/8" thick at the thinnest areas. It dries fast too. New jute carpet padding, on the floors, firewall, back of cab, inside door panels, and roof panel. New carpet, then all the plastics and seat went back in.

The cab temperate was readin 120-degrees from the little gauge I kept in my AC vent on a typical summer day in Texas. After the "new" insulation, the cab temperature was hovering just under 100-degrees. The sound deadening was twice that of the foil bubble insulation. I could actually hear my stereo and not the clatter of the engine or the drone of the exhaust.

The 1-gallon bucket of Spectrum Sludge costs around $60. The company that makes it is called Second Skin Audio, and they have all the information on their website.

A gallon of Lizard Skin sells for about $85 and it works a bit better but it must be sprayed on. The benefit to Lizard Skin is that it's made of Ceramic Insulation and is fire-proof.

Both products are water-based and easy to clean up any mess.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM

i have also been tossing around the idea of quieting the cab. Fergavs how much material did you have to buy for it? be sure to let us know how much quieter it is. did you get the thicker stuff or the thinner stuff? Texas hardcore how many gallons were required to do your truck?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 PM

my truck is soo loud inside. just keep putting it off. sometimes i think -where are those xzp74! earplugs?!! i guess the effect would be the same. couldn't hear the stereo. oh well getting about done with the go fasters. maybe quieter is next. only been 18 yearsssssss.!! tc
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 AM
alwaysonDTR

i did quite down me blue truck with some silent floor insulation and it made a difference more in heating and moister than sound.
my white truck has no extra insulaton and it is quit inside, now, that the exhaust isn't hitting anything like the floor and that it exits out from under the truck. that is the only reason i have a tip on my exhaust, pipe matched the body lip and tips sticks it out just a little more. big difference
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM

I went to a roofing supply place and bought Blue Skin to quiet my cab. It is the same stuff we put on our foundation of our new house and in the valleys on the roof. I discovered it in Colorado from a friend that builds homes. It will stick to anything and reallytakes the tinny sound away. Then I put 2 layers of a real thick carpet padding on. The cab is so sweet now and the total cost was about $35. the Blue Skin will turn as much water as you can shove at it.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rafter B
I went to a roofing supply place and bought Blue Skin to quiet my cab. It is the same stuff we put on our foundation of our new house and in the valleys on the roof. I discovered it in Colorado from a friend that builds homes. It will stick to anything and reallytakes the tinny sound away. Then I put 2 layers of a real thick carpet padding on. The cab is so sweet now and the total cost was about $35. the Blue Skin will turn as much water as you can shove at it.

How wide does the Blue skin come in, Is it just a stick on rubber sheet?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:22 AM

It's 3 ft wide and comes in about a 75-100 ft roll. It will stick to anything and really deadens the sound. I paid $85 for 1 full roll. If you just did trucks with it you could probably do 10. It's the best stuff I've ever used.

Quick Reply: Insulation for Quiet