1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

installing a flat bed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd call your congressman, or a lawyer. When I totalled my chevy last winter the adjuster (nationwide) told me they are limited by law on how much they could give me for it. Talked to a lawyer friend who said they are full of it, the same as when they told me under PA law that a vehicle has to be insured in the name of the person it is registered to.

I will never deal with nationwide again, and made it a point to let the agent know that after insuring my grandparents since he opened, and after one of his people screwed my dad after doing business with him for over 20 years, that my family will no longer be doing business with him.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PA law dictates that any registered vehicle must be insured. Its up to the insurance company whos name they want on the policy. Then you need to find out who is covered and who isn't covered to drive it. Mine doesn't need to have my name on it since i don't live in the house its registered to. I'm considered a temporary driver because of this.

There are a few helpful websites that translate complicated law into laymens terms, but i'm not sure how much you can trust a translation, because its up to a judge or police officer to interpret the law.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scot pa
I will never deal with nationwide again, and made it a point to let the agent know that after insuring my grandparents since he opened, and after one of his people screwed my dad after doing business with him for over 20 years, that my family will no longer be doing business with him.
Way to show him after he has collected thousands upon thousands of dollars from your family and already screwed them around. I'd say he already got enough out of you to not care. on insurance thieves.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Well, gentlemen, the insurance companies ARE private entities, last I looked...

...and you are entitled to go with any competing company you wish to. Now, if it is the State that defines the vehicle as a higher risk warranting a higher premium, THEN you are being nannied and you KNOW what to do about that.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 PM

In texas when I put a flatbed on mine I had to go with commercial insurance. But it was half what I was paying.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just saying, the insurance company was lying to me. Twice. PA requires that the vehicle be covered, they just don't care by who.

I looked into putting a 1-ton on the road running hotshot. Commercial insurance was a whole nother truck payment. Well over triple what personal insurance would have been. If you already have a fleet policy it's cheap to add a pickup. If you don't, look out!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Yeah i feel as if i returned from prison every time i get the bill
Old 10-20-2010, 02:27 PM

Angry

How dare you question your masters , the state/fed and the corporations, they know much better than you do about how you should be insured/taxed and how much you should pay them. They are only looking out for your best interests after all.

Now pay the extortion the mob requires from you, be a good little subject, sit down, put on your seat belt and STFU!!!!! or else!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Or you can be a drug dealer, on welfare, in a housing project and ride the buss for free all the way to wall-mart(to spend your food stamps) w/ ur gov bus pass, Laughing at people who actually work hard for a living.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by JustRamIt91
Or you can be a drug dealer, on welfare, in a housing project and ride the buss for free all the way to wall-mart(to spend your food stamps) w/ ur gov bus pass, Laughing at people who actually work hard for a living.
Amen
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM

same deal here with the flatbeds but i found a way around it. the flat bed on my old truck was refered to as an 8 foot bumper.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is stupid!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:41 PM

how does an insurance company find out you have one on your pickup? my flatbed is the only reason my pickup still drives down the road straight. you should almost get a discount, i saved my insurance company the cost of a box when i got in my accident. i had absolutly no damage.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 PM

i too have a flatbed on my 2500 and live in pa. i talked to my insurance agent and he said yes i will need to have commercial insurance on the vehicle. it is also lower then my previous amount so no big deal here. my insurance is through erie insurance.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to our site ferlan,

And here I thought it was up to the DOT to determine a commercial status..

Quick Reply: installing a flat bed