1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injectors and turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors and turbo?

I have been told that our trucks with the VE pump its a wast of money to put bigger injectors in because the pump does not make that much PSI and cant utilize the extra fuel and they really wont give you that much more power. Also have been told that the fuel pin is a waste because it would be the same as screwing in the smoke screw. Also a bigger turbo would not do too much cause you cant get that much more fuel in the engine. My fuel screw is now maxed out and i bumped up the timing and just looking to get some more power. So what do you guys think? What kind of performance have you gained from these mods? Just trying to not waste my money if you know what I mean. LOL

Thanks for all your help Fellas!
Steve
Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I disagree about the fuel pin being a waste. The stock pin has a linear ramp, whereas the DennyT StageII that I have is more aggressive, adding fuel faster the further it goes down.

A BHAF, 4" turbo-back exhaust and DennyT StageII is a good starting point.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by sgreen3
I have been told that our trucks with the VE pump its a wast of money to put bigger injectors in because the pump does not make that much PSI and cant utilize the extra fuel and they really wont give you that much more power. Also have been told that the fuel pin is a waste because it would be the same as screwing in the smoke screw. Also a bigger turbo would not do too much cause you cant get that much more fuel in the engine. My fuel screw is now maxed out and i bumped up the timing and just looking to get some more power. So what do you guys think? What kind of performance have you gained from these mods? Just trying to not waste my money if you know what I mean. LOL

Thanks for all your help Fellas!
Steve
Someone wanting to buy your truck cheap?
The thing about these trucks is you can. Just keep in mind that every part you put on will be limited (eventually) by another. As far as the VE pump its self is concerned, It is comfortably dump. Not overly effected by what injectors you put on it. A governor spring and the fuel pin of your choice are the most popular parts mods. There are an infinite number of ways you can increase fuel supply to the VE. As far as a turbo, more fuel needs more air. The H1C still has some room to maneuver provided you let it breath, aka BHAF and larger exhaust. Power = money, how much can you afford?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel pin is definitely not a waste, Denny T or M&H pin is deeper than stock pin, thus more fuel. Also, you can remove the afc lever for free and get full afc fuel all the time. There is a lot more in that VE pump and bigger injectors will let it out. Not as much potential as a p pump, but with large injectors and enough turbo, you can get 500 hp out of a VE. Even more with some pump upgrades.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess I wasted my money on big injectors. I wonder where that extra 250 HP came from though?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:09 PM

sgreen3 who ever told you all this must be smoking more than diesel fuel. If you have bought into this advise come see me, I will sell you my ocean front property I have up in Oklahoma for cheap. No i'm just kidding ya a little. These guys telling you this needs to re-think these old trucks, Hp #s floating around from 100 hp to 600+ hp on these old rides. My old heap is a 93 dually 4x4 that will get sideways if you let it thru most of 4th gear, and I haven't really done a whole lot to it. I have giving a few of the newer plug and play trucks all they wanted when they want to play, most have gone home rethinking that an old mans truck ain't so slow. So don't buy into the theory that the VE is a waste, "don't believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" is an old saying that will keep you outta hot water. The one thing you can count on tho is if you want more power listen to some of these guys on here that have "been there done that" and your truck will improve. Good luck with your old truck and have fun with it.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I guess I wasted my money on big injectors. I wonder where that extra 250 HP came from though?
hmm i wonder...

I think you need to find a new source for information. Who ever told you that must not know all that much... sorry.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 PM

how do you think you get more power??? you add more fuel and air! how do you get more air and keep your egts cool? you get a bigger turbo! its common sense.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Just about like a cutting torch. Fuel-air--more fuel more air and so on, when you can't get anymore just like a torch change to a bigger tip and start over more fuel and more air.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like that analogy. Good one Rollin
Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 PM

I could only guess who told you that. Did he put the oil fill caps on the engines way back when at CMEP?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 AM

I would think that he would kind of know, he works at diesel injection, in Lousivlle Ky. But Im tore, if all you guys say that this stuff has helped you guys out, there has to be something behind it. What would guys recomend as far as turbo and injectors? Were to get them and item numbers would be great. I would love to be around 350hp. O, I almost forgot my truck has a ATS exhaust manifold on it and a K&N air filter with a bunch of holes cut in the air box. I really appreciate the help!!! I'll try and get some pics of my rig and let you guys check it out if ya want.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 PM

i think its pretty common for people to down grade these trucks pump shop by me told me my truck was worthless and if i wanted power get a coommon rail truck
Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
That fella is just showing his ignorance of the "lowly" VE. Will it push as much fuel as any of the other pumps (P,VP44,CR)? NO, but it`s FAR from a waste to hop em up,
Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sgreen3
... because the pump does not make that much PSI and cant utilize the extra fuel ...
I don't know where my extra 100hp came from then either, and I'm still running stock injectors.

Quick Reply: Injectors and turbo?