1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injection pump tuning recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredbrick
I've heard of the M&H timing advance but don't know much about it. I think I've done all I'm going to do to the engine, for now. Now I need to do something about the transmission. It's not going to like the power increase. Better get started on that V 10 version 47RH that's been sitting in the garage taking up space for a long time.
My son has a first gen, and both of us have automatics set up stiff and a 3200 governor spring. His starts backing off (pull) before 2500, and mine pulls hard up to 2800. The only differences are the timing advance, and my stock vs his +40 injectors.

I'm getting excited about my next trip to Montana. I'm thinking I can pull Homestake with the train at 60+.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I had a '66 Porsche 912 that was made in the time that each car was built by a single worker (with some help when needed), no assembly line. Each part especially for the body, was adjustable to fit the car exactly. Because of this, if I ordered an engine grill for it, which I did, It had to be adjusted to fit my car. My Harley was kind of the same, every component seemed to need some tweaking in order to work/fit right. The old saying goes, show me a Harley that doesn't leak and I'll show you a Kawasaki. (I have one of those too) ....Mark
I had a KZ1300 6 cyl water cooled (100% antifreeze actually) which was a screamer for a touring bike. Had to get it home one time in traffic with a broken clutch cable. Not fun. I was shown how to sync the 3-2bbl carbs with vacuum gauges and finally gave up and just took off the whole assy and synched them by sight so they all opened the same amount. Doing valve adjustment was a real PITA because the way you adjusted them was to swap shims under each cam lobe.

The only good thing I could say about it was indeed, it didn't leak.

Edwin
Old 07-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I had a KZ1300 6 cyl water cooled (100% antifreeze actually) which was a screamer for a touring bike. Had to get it home one time in traffic with a broken clutch cable. Not fun. I was shown how to sync the 3-2bbl carbs with vacuum gauges and finally gave up and just took off the whole assy and synched them by sight so they all opened the same amount. Doing valve adjustment was a real PITA because the way you adjusted them was to swap shims under each cam lobe.

The only good thing I could say about it was indeed, it didn't leak.

Edwin
Mine is an '87 Voyager 1200. I bought a device for syncing the 4 carbs. It is a minus/plus vacuum device that you connect the 2 tubes, 1 to one carb and the other to the adjoining carb. If the meter needle is to one side or the other, you adjust the weaker carb's needle valve until the needle on the meter is centered. You then do the other 2. You then put on more vacuum tubes and adjust the 2 carbs on one side to the other 2. done in 15 minutes, The hardest part is removing the false tank to get to the vac ports, which are conveniently on top of the carbs. Here is an electronic one, mine is analog:

Amazon Amazon
...Mark