1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

injection pump seal ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injection pump seal ?

hey guys im just now getting to trying to tear into my dodge,,,i didnt put loctite on the shaft seal for my injection pump and now my oil is full of fuel.....i have a few questions will my old seal be trashed,,,,do i buy a new one or clean and loctite this one ,,,,i probably havent ran the engine 5 minutes ,,,and can i buy the seal seperate from the whole dgk121 kit....and when doing the loctite,,i use red and how much,,,,and do i do the seal or the pump bore....thanks guys for any help.....
Old 04-26-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts
How much fuel pressure are you running? Those front seals are really only good to about 15lbs.

Trying to buy just that front seal will probably cost at least half what the dgk121 costs.....so why not reseal the whole unit.

To do it properly I'd tear the entire IP down for another re-seal. I'd tear it down to a bare case, You don't want to get loctite inside the IP when installing the front seal. As for where to put the loctite......as long as you keep it off the rubber seal surface it doesn't really matter. I'd probably go with a thin coating on both surfaces.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
How much fuel pressure are you running? Those front seals are really only good to about 15lbs.

Trying to buy just that front seal will probably cost at least half what the dgk121 costs.....so why not reseal the whole unit.

To do it properly I'd tear the entire IP down for another re-seal. I'd tear it down to a bare case, You don't want to get loctite inside the IP when installing the front seal. As for where to put the loctite......as long as you keep it off the rubber seal surface it doesn't really matter. I'd probably go with a thin coating on both surfaces.
Assuming you're putting the seal in from the outside, With LocTite on the case, the excess if forced into the machine. On the seal, the excess is forced outside the machine. It's a crush fit, so there will be excess.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 AM

thanks guys,,,my truck is stock,,,,i just turned the pump up a little and moved the pump closer to the head to bump the timing a little,,,,but no fuel delivery system up grades or anything....i had just resealed the whole pump then about a week after the reseal it started missing and put fuel in my oil ,,but i didnt loctite the seal...i thought that was for high pressure deals.....lol....
Old 04-28-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian.B
thanks guys,,,my truck is stock,,,,i just turned the pump up a little and moved the pump closer to the head to bump the timing a little,,,,but no fuel delivery system up grades or anything....i had just resealed the whole pump then about a week after the reseal it started missing and put fuel in my oil ,,but i didnt loctite the seal...i thought that was for high pressure deals.....lol....
Like i said, seals are a crush fit. If they're driven straight in, holding a little pressure is normally a non issue. If they are punched in from side to side, rocking them, it can be a different story. LocTite will usually buy the grace needed for that scenario.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts
Did you verify that it was the IP front seal? It could all so be the diaphragm on the lift pump.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:07 AM

I was hoping it was the lift pump but I put a new one on it and changed the oil ,,fired it up and let it run for a few seconds and it started missing and sputtering and smoking...I shut it down and sure enough fuel was in the oil.....