1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I watched a first gen go down in shame

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ace- you got the right mysteryman. At least his writing style is similar to the "other" mysteryman.

Just because someone has a low post count doesnt mean he doesnt know what he is talking about. There are guys on other sites (Joe Donnelley comes to mind) that know more about diesel performance than I will ever know, who dont have 500 posts to their credit- they just keep their mouths shut more. I'd be more inclined to read what a person has to say, and whether it's consistent with what I know to be true, than to base my opinion of him solely on a statistic beside his name.

One must keep in mind that stock is ALWAYS a compromise between cost and performance. Performance isnt always handling and going fast, either- reliability can be a parameter of performance as well ad figure into the entire equation.

As for the gasser transmission behind a diesel- which one are you referring to? In stock form, loaded to the mfgr's rated capacity, either one was adequate. Not great, not outstanding or long lasting, just adequate. When you start hopping things up under the hood, the weaknesses of the auto are exposed even more, and the weak gets weaker. In the Getrag, filling to the factory line is its weakness.

DP
Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OBTW Johnny, the 727 and 518 are not POS trannys, IMHO. They take hideous amounts of abuse before failing. After all, Mopar saw fit to install them behind street hemis in the 60's and early 70s. They'll run with the best of them today with a little beefing up in the form of a good atermarket build by somebody that knows 727s. They can be built way good.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Guys, lets keep this converstaion civil, or expect to have a big ole' lock thrown on it real quick.

Mysteryman has his opinions and the right to voice them here. I did not see where he was directing that statement at any individual, nor was he insulting anyone, but merely voicing a veiwpoint.
We all have our own ideas and desires as to what we want out of our trucks, and since we can do what we want to OUR personal vehicles, there is nothing wrong with someone who desires to leave his stock, or feels it wrong to BOMB them....
We all agree to disagree on this forum on a regular basis, lets leave the insults out of it........
Thank You............

Chris, I agree with your post 99.9%, except what I highlighted in red, because of this:

Originally Posted by mysteryman

I am not sure who was the bigger fool in that tale...Dad for setting up the truck the way it was or the son for blowing it up....
It may seem like nitpicking, but regardless of technical experience or post count, I believe the namecalling to be out of line, even if meant to be taken lightly. JMO. On a better note, it always impresses me how the members of this site (and the 1st gen forum inparticular) are self-moderating. Way to keep a potential disaster under control everyone
Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must be that time of year again - kids gettin' squirrley. Wasn't there another thread just a few days ago about some kid rollin' Dad's beemer?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Ace
OBTW Johnny, the 727 and 518 are not POS trannys, IMHO. They take hideous amounts of abuse before failing. After all, Mopar saw fit to install them behind street hemis in the 60's and early 70s. They'll run with the best of them today with a little beefing up in the form of a good atermarket build by somebody that knows 727s. They can be built way good.
Just about anything can be built way good. That's not the point I'm trying to make. I used the tranny as an example to prove the point that what the developers of a vehicle feel is adequate and what actually translates into real world longevity can be two different things. Stock cummins were very hard on those trannys let alone bombed ones. I bought my truck with the tranny laying in the bed because it was smoked. The truck wasn't turned up at all.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by dpuckett
Ace- you got the right mysteryman. At least his writing style is similar to the "other" mysteryman.

Just because someone has a low post count doesnt mean he doesnt know what he is talking about. There are guys on other sites (Joe Donnelley comes to mind) that know more about diesel performance than I will ever know, who dont have 500 posts to their credit- they just keep their mouths shut more. I'd be more inclined to read what a person has to say, and whether it's consistent with what I know to be true, than to base my opinion of him solely on a statistic beside his name.

As for the gasser transmission behind a diesel- which one are you referring to? In stock form, loaded to the mfgr's rated capacity, either one was adequate. Not great, not outstanding or long lasting, just adequate. When you start hopping things up under the hood, the weaknesses of the auto are exposed even more, and the weak gets weaker. In the Getrag, filling to the factory line is its weakness.

DP
I was in no way stating that the low post count meant the guy had no clue. I read the credentials he stated about himself and based my opinion on that. I looked at the post count and made an assumption, that perhaps I shouldn't have, that he was a troll looking to stir the pot. If that is not the case than I apologize. That doesn't diminish the fact that my comments were simply a retort to a much more offensive post. Am I the only person that read that post?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
I'll probably sound hard-hearted but I hope the dad makes the kid work to pay for the repairs. Nothing like working to pay for what you broke to make you gain respect for other peoples property and what things cost. Unfortunately, from the sound of the story, it doesn't sound like this kid has learned much of that yet in life. Maybe someday he'll be a respectable diesel junkie like the rest of us and can inherit that 1st gen that he used to abuse.
While it is the kids fault for melting the rig down, it all leads back to the way his father raised him. If he would have been shown the proper way to drive the rig, by whatching the gauges and etc, instead of not even being allowed to drive it. My dad doesnt think twice about letting me use his stuff because he knows that he has shown me the proper way to operate them.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by schaef_12
While it is the kids fault for melting the rig down, it all leads back to the way his father raised him. If he would have been shown the proper way to drive the rig, by whatching the gauges and etc, instead of not even being allowed to drive it. My dad doesnt think twice about letting me use his stuff because he knows that he has shown me the proper way to operate them.
Good call. When I was on the farm my dad let me drive all sorts of tractors when I was real young but I was shown in detail first about proper operation and a problem never occured. Although there were some close calls!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
well at least i dont have to worry about the spoiled thing, im 16 but have worked since i was in grade 8, i got my truck from my uncle cuz it was "junk" rebuilt it all with my own money i worked for, and managed to even buy my own sled and was given a "junk" dirtbike that i have since repainted and rebuilt completely, parents try to lend me money for certain things id like, but even if they somehow slipped the coin in i pay them back, plus it feels good when i have worked for something and take pride in it, other then some people that i know at home, who just trash anything they get because they never worked to actully see what they need to do to gain it.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM

Maybe it's my Dad in me, but you guys are missing the most important point of it all. The odds of snapping up a sweet truck for cheap may have just gone thru the roof!!!!!! Shame on Dad, shame on the kid-Whatever. The window of oppurtunity is small, heh, heh.
My old man has the hunter-gatherer gene, and has passed it on to me. Never drank, smoked, etc. just drug home old Mopars his entire adult (and teen) life. Every body has their "crack-pipe", he found his and infected me. I just tell my wife I never had a fighting chance to resist. So, please dont flame me about not caring about the abused trust of the father or ignorance of the kid, all I can see is another Dodge that would look better in my yard than his.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Swhite832- thanks for the comment. i respect the heck out of my parents, and i wouldnt want to receive the wrath of them after i did something like that. its kinda funny, but when i turned 14, my dad said the belts have moved out, and the fists have moved in but ive matured some since then LOL. theyve taught me everything i know, with the help of the good Lord. i might have on many occasions disagreed with them, and they made mistakes as well, but i just take their advice and put it in the tool box for another day. all the vehicles i started on were used trucks, with over 100K on the clock, and dad taught me how to work on them so when times are tight, at the very least, you know how to work on your own stuff, and it maked me have a greater since of pride about my things. ive been in the marine corps since 2000, and ive kinda slipped on some of my knowledge, but im gettin back there. ive also been blessed with my truck that i was able to pay off in just over 2years after owning it (extra pay from all the deployments, thank you uncle sam). anyhoo...........
Old 12-08-2007, 06:56 AM
KRB

Received 500 Likes on 353 Posts
Its all relative.

Growing up, my dad drank beer and would let me try it. No big deal if its allowed, takes all the fun and mystery out of it . While some of my best friends whose parents FORBID (and hid) any of that kind of activity went straight to the stuff once out of the house . Several crashed and burned before they grew up.

Same with firearms. My kids were taken out to a sinkhole and shown what a shot gun/pistol/rifle would do to an object as soon as they were walking and talking. They also see the deer/coon/coyote, etc that got blown away and will NEVER wake back up. Gone is the mystery, replaced with reality. Hopefull if they ever find a loaded and unlocked firearm they will see it as a tool of death and not a cartoon toy or computer game.

My oldest daughter (10) started helping me drive on the farm a couple years ago by sitting in my lap and "steering". Now she can reach the pedals too. By the time she is 16 she should be plenty comfortable behind the wheel and understand the limitations of the vehicle. She also spends time helping me fix & repair so she appreciates and respects the equipment that we work hard to buy and maintain. (one of her boyfriend criteria is that he has a Dodge truck )

Half is what you teach them (by voice AND example) but the other half is what they are hardwired to do. Hopefully they will love and respect and resist peer pressure if they are comfortable and secure with themselves.

That kid has learned a hard hard lesson (hopefully) and in the worst way. We all did stuff we regret to various degrees. Its a failure if we don't feel remorse and learn from it. Some of us learn quicker and easier than others...

Bottom line in my parenting philosophy is replace mystery with reality and they respect it and you.

Dang I must be bored. Don't think I've ever written a post this long and it wasn't even really about trucks! I'm done playing Dr. Spock .
Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 AM

well said KRB
Old 12-08-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jughead
well said KRB

YES, KRB, you hit the nail right on the head.

If some of these weak-minded soccer-mom types would take your advice, the world would soon be a better place for all of us.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
YES, KRB, you hit the nail right on the head.

If some of these weak-minded soccer-mom types would take your advice, the world would soon be a better place for all of us.

YES-SIR, IT'S ALL ABOUT TRUST.
TOMMY

Quick Reply: I watched a first gen go down in shame