1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I watched a first gen go down in shame

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am building a 1500 sq ft shop for me and my two boys. They are 7 and 8 years old. I figure by the time they are driving age they should have enough sweat equity in their beaters of choice to have some major appreciation for them. It is that simple. Buy it, fix it or walk. I will enable them to have a better working environment(shop) than I had but that is wwhere it ends. I like the way Southern Pride was raised. The fact that you remedied the situation before your parents got home is unheard of. Good job. I hope my boys will act the same way.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:32 AM

It really pains me to read some of these posts.....I recall all the pain we went to while developing the first cummins trucks . Getting them to stay together was the biggest challenge ! Staying with in our budget was the second.

If everyone left them stock they would last for years and years and get a lot of work done during that time. But if everyone out there keeps doing all the modifications I read about on the various boards on the net. Soon there will not be any of the first gen trucks left.

I have always been amazed by some of the guys out there that will try to argue with me about how to design and or set up these trucks! Many of the worst I find have never even graduated from high school much less had any training in automotive engineering!

I am not sure who was the bigger fool in that tale...Dad for setting up the truck the way it was or the son for blowing it up....If either one of the 2 would have left the the truck alone. Neither of them would have ended up with a problem in the end....
Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mysteryman
It really pains me to read some of these posts.....I recall all the pain we went to while developing the first cummins trucks . Getting them to stay together was the biggest challenge ! Staying with in our budget was the second.

If everyone left them stock they would last for years and years and get a lot of work done during that time. But if everyone out there keeps doing all the modifications I read about on the various boards on the net. Soon there will not be any of the first gen trucks left.

I have always been amazed by some of the guys out there that will try to argue with me about how to design and or set up these trucks! Many of the worst I find have never even graduated from high school much less had any training in automotive engineering!

I am not sure who was the bigger fool in that tale...Dad for setting up the truck the way it was or the son for blowing it up....If either one of the 2 would have left the the truck alone. Neither of them would have ended up with a problem in the end....

But in your profile you show under mods as "Too many to list". Can't have it both ways.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It really pains me to read some of these posts.....

then don't read them

I recall all the pain we went to while developing the first cummins trucks . Getting them to stay together was the biggest challenge !

there are hundreds, if not thousands of extremely powerful and reliable 1st gens cruising around every day. My truck, for example, has been over 200hp at the wheels for its entire existance. If it breaks in half today, each of the previous owners I think would agree that we got our $$ out of it.

If everyone left them stock they would last for years and years and get a lot of work done during that time.

The youngest 1st gen is already pushing 15 years old--it's really not reasonable to expect much more out of old iron that was meant to be worked, regardless of engine.

But if everyone out there keeps doing all the modifications I read about on the various boards on the net. Soon there will not be any of the first gen trucks left.

That is a blanket, biased statement that pre-judges every 1st gen owner with a desire to modify his or her truck such that it better suits their needs. I can't stop you from voicing your opinion, but I would respectfully ask that you steer clear of over-generalizing a community of people who, by the by, take a great deal of pride in their rigs and will stop at almost nothing to protect their investment.

There's a fool with somewhere with a half-dozen degrees hanging on their office wall and there's a genius that will sleep under a bridge tonight...and there's every shade of grey in between. Your statement is moot.

Calling the father a fool because he's got a passion for the automotive performance aftermarket is just plain rude. If I were him, I would be offended. The boy is a fool and if he doesn't realize it, the only person he's fooling is himself.

We as automotive enthusiasts owe a debt to those who push the limits. If the EPA didn't push so hard, I'd still be rebuilding Quadrajets. If the hotrodders didn't push so hard, performance tunes wouldn't be available for the EFI engines of today. To say that a product is perfect because it met the guidelines of a particular project and that it can never be improved upon despite advancements in available knowledge and parts is ignorant.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread
Old 12-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Chapter President

Great Post Greg, but you still don't have a stack. LOL Maybe this guy would be happier with us modding trucks if he got a ride in a truck with a stack. You guys both live on the east coast. HMMMMMM.....

Maybe this is an opportunity for the kid to get his first lesson in rebuilding a 5.9 cummins.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by haloman
Great Post Greg, but you still don't have a stack. LOL.
That made me smile...I didn't think this thread would do that
Old 12-05-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, the design of production vehicles has to be compromised to allow acceptable performance with acceptable reliability. That's why most everyone here adds gauges first. We understand that we are modifying the truck beyond the stock safety levels and as such, we need to monitor and accept responsibility for the extra boost or heat the our modifications create.

I for one am not willing to sacrifice the potential performance that I can add just to maintain stock safety parameters and I will gladly accept the responsibility for what happens to my truck if I break it. That is why no one else drives my truck. That is also why you see threads on valet switches and other devices to keep uninformed and unauthorized individuals from abusing non-stock vehicles.

Please feel free to keep your vehicle in stock condition. That is your right. The rest of us have the right to modify our vehicles as we see fit as long as we are willing to accept responsibility for the results.

The factory and engineers may have designed a truck that is a good compromise between power and reliability but they didn't design the optimum truck for me.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Ace
Banned

Optimization. What a concept. If Dodge engineers made a fully optimized vehicle of any kind it would get 40mpg, have a 200mph top speed, handle like a Formula-1 car and nobody could afford it.

Everything in life is a compromise of some sort. I like 12valve, just tend to be a little less compromising than most, I suppose.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Ace
Optimization. What a concept. If Dodge engineers made a fully optimized vehicle of any kind it would get 40mpg, have a 200mph top speed, handle like a Formula-1 car and nobody could afford it.

Everything in life is a compromise of some sort. I like 12valve, just tend to be a little less compromising than most, I suppose.
Somebody could afford it. That would be an awesome truck tho.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I usually don't want to humor "trolls" with a response but I feel compelled to enter my opinion aswell.

As was previously mentioned don't try to sit there and say the truck is optimized right from the factory. You said yourself it was tough to stay in budget. Maybe if that budget had been a little bigger a tranny would've been developed that wasn't a POS instead of running a gasser tranny. With all the automotive engineering that went into the truck maybe you should have thought about modifying the valve body so that the line pressure increased more proportionate to the power band of a diesel. That way your statement about the trucks that "last for years and years" might have a ounce of truth in it. Don't come on a forum with a post count of 4 to start letting everyone know how smart you are because you don't have any credibility here yet. The guys around here that do have the training are polite and respectful with their discussion and help rather than antagonise and insult for the sake of a response. By the way I didn't go to college but a good friend of mine did for years. He now works for me. Lots of my friends went to college and I make more than all of them combined. I'm not saying this to brag just please, save your pro-college, "I'm better because I'm educated" garbage for somebody stupid enough to buy it. Which, by the way, won't be any of these guys.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Ace
Banned

Actually, mysteryman goes way back. He's probably forgotten more about Getrags than most of us will ever know. Just more of a conservative, that's all. Maybe I'm thinking about a different mysteryman.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
Actually, mysteryman goes way back.
Yeah, like way back to the Chysler engineering dept. that married these trucks and the Cummins together.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Guys, lets keep this converstaion civil, or expect to have a big ole' lock thrown on it real quick.

Mysteryman has his opinions and the right to voice them here. I did not see where he was directing that statement at any individual, nor was he insulting anyone, but merely voicing a veiwpoint.
We all have our own ideas and desires as to what we want out of our trucks, and since we can do what we want to OUR personal vehicles, there is nothing wrong with someone who desires to leave his stock, or feels it wrong to BOMB them....
We all agree to disagree on this forum on a regular basis, lets leave the insults out of it........
Thank You............
Old 12-05-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm 21, and know many people like that. I watch people in this run down Apartment complex near my house, wear clothing bought from the resale shop, people who barely have anything, and buy their kids diesel trucks that think everytime they have a chance to floor it IN THE CITY, they will. Its all materialism. But I don't want to jump on top of my soap box.

Anyway, that sucks, it really does. I hope the kid has to pay. I know my parents would. Above all, my parents are like most of yours. Though I don't pay to live at home, because my parents said as long as I'm going to college full time, or part time college part time work, I didn't pay rent. But if I was just working part time, or full time, or not working at all, I had to pay. Luckily I'm moving out anyway because I'm getting married in a couple weeks.

People need to teach their kids respect! Thats what it boils down too, it really does!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:27 PM

Marty86,
Amen kid brother...teaching kids respect?! What a concept. That says it all. End of thread.

Quick Reply: I watched a first gen go down in shame