1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I need an Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need an Odometer

Hey all, my stock odometer has been out for years and I'd really like to know how far my truck has been. Makes it easier for oil changes etc. I read the how-to on fixing the stock odometer but it seems very complicated and there seems to be no guarantee it will work again after the fix (according to some who's tried it). So, I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket odometer that could be installed on my 1st gen D250? BTW, my speedo still works fine even though it's 5mph fast.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the same problem. I was lucky, I had a GPS given to me for Christmas. It sits on the dash.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:28 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
search for "hub odometer" and see what you can find. i dotn know anythign about them myself, but recall seeing them discussed....

heres a start:http://ts.nist.gov/WeightsAndMeasure.../Odometers.pdf
Old 05-16-2007, 02:11 PM

Chrisreyn, that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd rather something that's inside the cab. I was hoping I could find some type that mounted on the dash somewhere. AF once told me of someone he knew that found something like that but he didn't know where that person was anymore so he couldn't ask. Thanks anyway.
Boatnik, I'm quite interested in the GPS thing. I've wanted one for some time now just to have one but using is as an odometer is something I haven't thought of.
Not ever having played with one I don't exactly know how they work. Does it keep an ongoing tally of your miles? Could you explain it a little?
Thanks for any help!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 PM

well i personally did the odometer fix myself. and im just a 16 yr old kid with limited shop skills. but its actually very simple to do, took about an our, and thats fighting the dash most of the time. i just replaced both gears and it works fine
Old 05-16-2007, 03:39 PM

Well, after thinking about it for a while, I think I'll try to do the fix myself. The sticky has alot of good pics and seems pretty straightforward.
Thanks again for all the replies.
I still want a GPS
Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The odometer fix isn't bad. My advice is to take it out of the truck and bring it inside where you can see your computer. Go through the sticky and use the step by step pictures and you shouldn't have any trouble. One other thing I have found on the 2 I did was that some of the small teeth of the gears may be stuck in gears in the odometer. I would count how many teeth are broken off of the gears and then count the little pieces. That should let you now when you have gotten them all out, then roll the odometer over and look everything over to be sure you don't see anything else. Hopefully this will save you taking yours apart two extra times like I did the first time. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRam
Chrisreyn, that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd rather something that's inside the cab. I was hoping I could find some type that mounted on the dash somewhere. AF once told me of someone he knew that found something like that but he didn't know where that person was anymore so he couldn't ask. Thanks anyway.
Boatnik, I'm quite interested in the GPS thing. I've wanted one for some time now just to have one but using is as an odometer is something I haven't thought of.
Not ever having played with one I don't exactly know how they work. Does it keep an ongoing tally of your miles? Could you explain it a little?
Thanks for any help!
Global Satelite Position Receiver. It uses satelites in sycronous orbit around the planet to pin point it's location within a few feet. Some receive as many as 12 at one time if the antena can "see" the signal. The prosessor can give altitude, speed over ground, speed made good, distance traveled, average speed, average altitude, course direction etc,etc,etc. The odometer feature on my garmin gives trip distance and total distance traveled. The only thing I need to remember is to turn it on. It will not receive a signal in the garage and they normally shut down after losing the signal for a certain amount of time. Go to the Garmin web site. They seem to have a good handle on the technology. Any discount boat store or 4x4 shop have them on the shelf. Hunters use them as well as fishermen. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 PM

oldram- if you have any questions just PM me and i will try to walk you through it, the odo fix really is easy.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRam
Hey all, my stock odometer has been out for years and I'd really like to know how far my truck has been. Makes it easier for oil changes etc. I read the how-to on fixing the stock odometer but it seems very complicated and there seems to be no guarantee it will work again after the fix (according to some who's tried it). So, I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket odometer that could be installed on my 1st gen D250? BTW, my speedo still works fine even though it's 5mph fast.
Thanks
Taxi cabs fare meters have an accurate odometer on them.
http://www.goldtechscales.com/digitaltaxifaremeter.htm
Jim
Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 AM

All you guys have been so helpful. I really do appreciate all the advice. I do have one small question: When taking out the dash, do I remove all of it? I mean the part you throw your old mail on too? Or just the part that surrounds the instrument cluster?
I am still in love with my old Betsy, even after almost 16 years with her. If only marriages could last as long!

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:48 AM

This is for sale in the classifieds - 1st Gen section:
Speedo gauge cluster for use in Dodge trucks 81-89 gas or diesel, mechanical speedometer. $50 plus shipping.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:59 AM

Well I guess I should have done a write up on how I fixed mine.. OOPS sorry

Here is a quick version of what I did..

I went and bought a stock Speedo gauge cluster from a 89 dodge (mechanical odometer)

Then I took out my 92 cluster (electrical)

I then took the plastic covers of each cluster to see what the difference was between them.. what I found was they are very close, but the mechanical one has a large hole in back for cable to come in threw.

So I took out electrical odometer out of my '92 cluster drilled out a large hole where cable needed to go, and put in mechanical odometer..

the reason i did not just switch entire lucster is becasue there are other things that use elctrical that worked on my 92 cluster so I did not want to loose them..

after switch odometers I bolted it all back together and ran the mechanical cable threw back of dash and along frame rail and connected it into transfer case.. ( it bolts right up to exsiting connector ).

Now I have a odometer that works great, and being that is is mechanical I do not have to worry about some stupid electrical wire faling off.

really was not that hard..
Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM

oldram, all you have to remove is the piece around the gauge cluster, then remove the gauge pod (all the gauges) and bring them inside to do the work.

bruiser, I'm glad that fixed your problem but is sounds like your problem was more with the speedo. most of the trucks out there the speedo works just fine but the odo stops. the gears that get brittle and break have nothing to do with the speedo. If you bought the cluster used there is just as good of a chance of that odo to quit on you. and as far as the cable driven speedo there have been several posts about them binding speedo would be low and then pop up way high as the cable unwinds and then it slows as it binds up agian. Neither of those (elecetric speedo probs or cable binding) are common problems, the gears in the odometers however is very common.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
oldram, all you have to remove is the piece around the gauge cluster, then remove the gauge pod (all the gauges) and bring them inside to do the work.

bruiser, I'm glad that fixed your problem but is sounds like your problem was more with the speedo. most of the trucks out there the speedo works just fine but the odo stops. the gears that get brittle and break have nothing to do with the speedo. If you bought the cluster used there is just as good of a chance of that odo to quit on you. and as far as the cable driven speedo there have been several posts about them binding speedo would be low and then pop up way high as the cable unwinds and then it slows as it binds up agian. Neither of those (elecetric speedo probs or cable binding) are common problems, the gears in the odometers however is very common.
Nope my Speedo worked fine.. I took 92 odometer apart replaced all those little gears checked every wire and still no luck.. that is why I went mechanical.

oh and before buying old cluster had owner jack truck up and make sure it all worked

i will keep my fingers crossed that it keeps working..

that is just what I did..

Quick Reply: I need an Odometer