1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I need a good clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need a good clutch.

What do you guys reccomend for sled pulling?

I would really like to just go ahead and put the SBC 3600 DD in, but it's just not in the budget. But, while the trans is out I would like to put something in there that will take some abuse. It's a play truck that will see no real road miles.

I know LuK is not a favorite, but has anyone looked at the 05-118 13" ceramic?

Or even a disc that would take a lil slipping for now.

Exploring my options, I guess.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
southbend con-FE...............i think its the best single disc southbend clutch that you can get.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
southbend con-FE...............i think its the best single disc southbend clutch that you can get.
It's certainly not a pulling clutch. For pulling you're really just wasting your time and money on a single disc. That said if you want to get by for now, the only thing that will even come close to holding up a bit will be a good 6 disc button clutch or the like. You might look into a local clutch builder for this.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 AM

Bill, thats exactly what I want for the '89. My '93 supposively has one in it. I would beleive it since its grabby, and has no problem burning the hides taking off in third. Trying to get ahold of the P.O. to find out where he got it.

I tried to get one from the local Inland Truck Parts. The only thing he came up with was a 13" LuK kit for a grand. They can't do anything to my setup (rebuild). Atleast the guy knew exactly what I was talking about when I said '89 Dodge Diesel! (the sachs unit)

What do you think about the pressure plate? Will it hold for now? Should I get it beefed up.

I am not agiast sending this thing somewhere if you guys can reccomend a good shop that will actually do it.

I know it's not ideal for pulling, but probably will be running maxxed pump, HX-35, and good LP while saving$$. So nothing too crazy for now.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 AM

I picked up a used 13" 6 button disc and a reworked stock Sachs cast iron pressure plate off another member awhile back. It sat on my garage floor for about a year before I gave it to a friend that just converted his 727 to a getrag. And man that thing works great in his truck. He's only at 310rwhp and around 800ftlbs but it won't slip no matter how he drives it with 35" tires. I'm starting to wish I didn't give it to him as my South Bend FE wasn't agreeing with 450rwhp 1000ftlb dyno runs. Once the twins are done I'll be looking for a clutch.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:40 PM

We just put in a 3800lb DD ceramic 13" from Valair in my buddy's 97. Nice Clutch, and it is pretty darn grabby but in does not slip at all. I think he had about $900 in it. That was a new flywheel too.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by C/PRD/
We just put in a 3800lb DD ceramic 13" from Valair in my buddy's 97. Nice Clutch, and it is pretty darn grabby but in does not slip at all. I think he had about $900 in it. That was a new flywheel too.
That was for the 1-3/8 input right?

What about this one:

I ASSume 6 button would be better that 4, but this would be better than stock, right. Plus take the heat better?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 PM

Give South Bend a call. I've seen one that looked almost the same as my 6 button disc on their display table at a national diesel event. I'm sure they can hook you up first class. I know they set GLHS up with some form of a button clutch after his FE wasn't holding up drag racing. They will be the first shop I call once my twins blow through the FE.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I will have to comment on the valair's is take a good look at the design of their center section. These parts are medium duty parts, that is why you have to machine your flywheel recess to a larger diameter. The clutch in the picture above is consider a stock replacement. Those are a stock style button for eaton and other medium/heavy duty clutches. They have a multi-button which also has much higher pressure plate loads. I have done a lot of research on them, and talked to their owner about their products. Our offroad shop is becoming a Valair dealer in lower MI.