1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I need emergency/carry on jack, recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need emergency/carry on jack, recommendations?

what type/brand, and where do I get, a good jack for flats, etc?
Tys
Old 08-07-2006, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always bin taut to carry an El-Cheapo brand, Harbor Freight Special bottle jack as cheap insurance against Mr. Murphy.

But considering that I don't even have a spare tire at the moment, I'm not the best safety advocate...
Old 08-07-2006, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have both a KYB and a Hein Werner 20 ton bottle jack. The KYB is in my truck right now and several blocks of 2X4 to make up the diffrence.
Last time I had to use it was a blowout at 70 MPH which the truck handled nicely but after I got the truck jacked up I found my lug wrench didn't fit the lugs.
I also have a AAA card for a tow just incase.
Jim
Old 08-07-2006, 09:00 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I used to always carry one 12-ton bottle-jack.

They are capable of lifting anything a gooseneck can haul.

I had a bad experience, last year, and now I always carry TWO bottle jacks.

I should have known better to begin with; because, we use bottle jacks everyday at the shop and I know how they do.

My personal bottle-jack, that has never been anywhere except in my truck, lifted a gooseneck-load of cattle just fine; then, the next day, when I had a flat, it would not lift the cylinder up out of the jack, no warning at all.

That is just the nature of a bottle-jack; they will decide to quit without warning.

Yes, it had plenty of fluid.

We probably have owned several of every major brand of bottle-jack that there is.

One thing we have found out is that Harbor Freight jacks will last as long, and work as good, as anything available, and sometimes better.

Just as important as a jack, is to have an assortment of wood blocks, and maybe a small shovel.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just me maybe, but personally I prefer the known quality of American made jacks or quality foreign like KYB. I keep my eyes peeled for old American jacks at yard sales etc. and get them cheap. Sometimes they need an o-ring or whatever, but they're very well made. I have several good American made jacks that are 40+ years old! Also I do a lot of mechanical repairs and fab, so I 'know' my jacks. Only the most reliable ones go in the truck for emergency use! Those blocks of 4X4 and 2X4 always go along, too. The 4X's are also used to BLOCK THE WHEELS!!!! when I have to jack, and I normally have a set of stout jackstands onboard on a longer trip.

The #1 jack for take-along is my Hi-Lift, but of course I don't crawl under the vehicle so lifted without bottle jacks and/or jackstands in place as well.

JimmieD
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I carry a small Craftsman floor jack just in case I need to swap tires around to keep all four corners up and level. With six wheels, who needs another spare?