1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HX35 vs BW K27

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HX35 vs BW K27

Ok so at the moment my truck is stockish, it’s got a 4” MBRP turbo back exhaust 3200 rpm spring and a stage 1 fuel pin, I bought a set of PDD 5x.012 injectors and a south bend clutch last year, I probably won’t be towing a lot other than the occasional horse trailer or taking the boat to the lake but I’m 15 and I wanna go fast, my question is should I buy a cheap used hx35 or save up and get the k27, I know there’s not a lot of difference between the two other than the k27 can handle about 40lbs of boost, so if anyone has any experience with either turbo or a better aftermarket option that would be great.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:17 PM

I’ve ran several turbos and this is the turbo I’ve stuck with. Realize though that I have several other mods that affect air flow. I know the turbo is undersized for my set up but it works wonders for amazing power vs egts. I’ve ran the hx35 also with less mods and it’s hard to even compare the two turbos. I used the k27 so I could go back to having an exhaust brake where as the larger s300 series of turbos I couldn’t run the Jacobs brand which works well for my set up.

feel free to ask questions and I’ll answer them, because when I made the decision to purchase no one had even bought one to use on a 12v from the large vendor I purchased from.

i must add that if your looking for a “fast” truck, neither the k27 that your looking at and I have or the hx35 are going to get you to “fast” without several other supporting mods, they will get you to running with stock common rail trucks on mild “tow” style tunes. (There have been people make impressive power on the hx35 I won’t doubt that, but it’s not reliable, and consistently usable power for towing”

the turbo I list in the signature for the 07 is no longer, it was a horrible turbo. I probably should edit that

my truck as it sits will just beat my 2007 5.9 by a hair up to 75mph then the 07 passes it up, the 07 has a turbo compressor upgrade 62mm, upgraded exhaust housing from a company in WV that deals in custom housings. aftermarket lift pump, and a smarty tuner on level 9. So not honestly a whole lot seeing as it’s on stock injectors.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:03 PM

Ok so I don’t necessarily need to go rediculously fast it’s not gonna be a drag truck, may hook it to a sled just for fun or hook chains with my buddies stock powerjoke, I’m honestly just looking for something as an in between stage turbo (I’d eventually like to have compounds) but I’m gonna have to find a built nv4500 first and that takes money that I don’t have a ton of, if there is a better option that would work for the 300-400 hp range that isn’t gonna run me 2 grand for just the turbo that’d be great, just saw that PDD claims that the k27 is good up to 450 hp and I already have a set of 5x.012 injectors so I thought it might be a viable option, I don’t have a ton of experience with diesel performance other than the 09 that my dad had before it caught on fire, so anyone’s input who has experience is greatly appreciated!

also I saw that you’re running 7x.016s I think it was, should I sell the 5x12s and go to something bigger? They haven’t been used at all just sitting in the box for now
Old 05-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Also are the oil feed lines interchangeable between the H1C and the K27? If not what would I need to switch between the two? Also I know the factory intercooler will fit right up but will the factory intercooler with pusher intakes intercooler piping and cold air intake be enough to keep the egt’s in check? I’m cruising between 600° and 800°right now depending on outside air temps and what speed I’m at, I hardly ever see over 1100° but there is some play in my throttle linkage so I don’t think I’m getting true WOT and I haven’t messed with the max fuel screw yet but planning to when I can get some time off work to go work on the truck
Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by C_conger04
Ok so I don’t necessarily need to go rediculously fast it’s not gonna be a drag truck, may hook it to a sled just for fun or hook chains with my buddies stock powerjoke, I’m honestly just looking for something as an in between stage turbo (I’d eventually like to have compounds) but I’m gonna have to find a built nv4500 first and that takes money that I don’t have a ton of, if there is a better option that would work for the 300-400 hp range that isn’t gonna run me 2 grand for just the turbo that’d be great, just saw that PDD claims that the k27 is good up to 450 hp and I already have a set of 5x.012 injectors so I thought it might be a viable option, I don’t have a ton of experience with diesel performance other than the 09 that my dad had before it caught on fire, so anyone’s input who has experience is greatly appreciated!

also I saw that you’re running 7x.016s I think it was, should I sell the 5x12s and go to something bigger? They haven’t been used at all just sitting in the box for now
honestly the injectors I’m running are quite big for anything I’d realistically ever need. They’re quite dirty at wot an could use some fine tuning, even with the fine tuning they won’t be clean, I’d say your injectors will be adequate for quite a while. The injectors your running, do you already have a fuel system upgrade to make sure you can adequately supply them? I would work one step at a time, as bigger Injectors need supporting mods to function properly, then more air as in a turbo needs fueling supporting mods to operate correctly, with the turbo. Too far in either directly will cause high temps, and lagging turbos
Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by C_conger04
Also are the oil feed lines interchangeable between the H1C and the K27? If not what would I need to switch between the two? Also I know the factory intercooler will fit right up but will the factory intercooler with pusher intakes intercooler piping and cold air intake be enough to keep the egt’s in check? I’m cruising between 600° and 800°right now depending on outside air temps and what speed I’m at, I hardly ever see over 1100° but there is some play in my throttle linkage so I don’t think I’m getting true WOT and I haven’t messed with the max fuel screw yet but planning to when I can get some time off work to go work on the truck

the oil feed line and the drain line match perfect, the k27 is a direct bolt on, same as the hx35. With both the exhaust down pipe slides back a slight bit but will fit with no issues. I honestly would imagine the factory tubes will handle fine along with factory intercooler to a certain point. There’s always room for improvement on any factory intercooler and piping set up once you increase air flow.

Before messing with the fuel screw read up and be prepared. Ten years ago I found out what run away was. I had my fuel pump rebuilt by a shop who I had asked to max the pump on a bench. When I reinstalled the pump it seemed as if my screw was backed out as my truck had less power, I had messed with the fuel screw numerous times so I felt confident in not being prepared for a run away situation, well this time I had welded onto my fuel screw to extend it and runaway did happen.

Truck revved out like you wouldn’t believe, black smoke to white smoke to not running within 30 seconds.

Fortunately for me the engine was fine but it did seize my rebuilt pump and it also backed my camshaft gear off of the cam. I was lucky. I had valve cover breathers on the motor and during the runaway I assume from high rpm oil pressure it dumped a bunch of oil out the valve cover breathers.

Never think it wont happen, cause that’s when it will
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 09:27 PM

I’ll probably either get the new PDD mechanical lift pump, or a FASS, or bullydog, or something, haven’t quite decided, but I think the mechanical PDD pump would be a better option solely because it’s mechanical and I don’t wanna have to worry about electrical stuff because I’m no electrician, the only reason I wasted the pusher intercooler piping and intake is because I like the way it looks and it flows a little bit better, and this is a little off topic but there wouldn’t happen to be a little bit better turbo option to make a little more power, even if it spools about like the stock 21cm or a little slower I wouldn’t mind, I’m planning on either 60 or 110lb valve springs so I can run 4K ish rpms without floating a valve, so if I wanna go fast I can and I’ve accidentally driven my truck naturally aspirated when I blew an intercooler boot and didn’t realize what was going on so I drove home and getting going was a little slow but it’ll cruise with no boost without an issue, so cruise boost isn’t really an issue either, kinda want something a little bigger than the k27 but I have 0 experience with any other turbos so I have no idea what I’m looking at, also like I said before I’m 15 and wait tables and drive a tractor to pay for any truck parts I get so I don’t really want to buy a $2,000 turbo at the moment, and you asked about my injectors, they are actually stock, I have the 5x.012s but haven’t installed them yet as it is already Smokey I am waiting to upgrade the turbo before I install bigger injectors, any input on anything is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:17 PM

And the only towing I’ll be doing for a while would be a 4 horse trailer or a small boat trailer so I don’t think a little turbo lag is gonna be a huge issue,