1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How I drove my Dodge on the water.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
How I drove my Dodge on the water.

So I was always wondering how my truck would do on the water so for our anniversary this year we all went out to dinner down at Newport Beach and then afterwards we drove around Lido Isle.

My daughter wanted to go on the ferry so I said why not.

We drove through Balboa Island where all of the million dollar houses are and then I found it.

I have not been on an Auto Ferry in about 40 years and that one was alot larger and I was not driving at the time so I was not sure what I was in for.

So you wait about a block away till the 2 or 3 cars pass you that just came off and the light turns green so I pull up slowly not knowing what to expect and I pull up to the ramp and right away I see my truck is wider than the roadway but the lady operator waves me ahead, I pulled up slowly as all of the pedestrian traffic was watching me, I kept having the feeling I was going to sink this thing, when I did get my rear duals on I swear I felt the ferry sink down, they only let me on and not the car behind me for some reason.

See how much wider I am than the roadway.

Name:  IMG_1283.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  56.1 KB

Once I am on and under way I get out and pay the toll and took some pictures my wife and daughter were afraid to get out of the truck, the entire trip only took a few minuets so I get back in and get ready to leave, when we get to the other side the gates go up and I had a bit of a problem exiting the ramp because I didn't want to give it too much power and slip off the ramp.

This is what it looks like driving through the streets of Balboa Island, this is a very ritzy neighborhood, on Pacific Coast Highway there are only yacht brokers and exotic car dealers and oh yes lots of girls in bikinis, yea driving a dually is a bit of an adventure but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Name:  IMG_1269.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  31.1 KB

We had a great time.

Just thought I would share.

Jim
Old 11-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
Looks really cramped there.
I'm not claustrophobic, but I don't think I could stand that.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 AM

That was my old stomping grounds 42 yrs ago. My buddies & I would ride our Honda motorcycles down to the fun zone & pick up on chicks & give them rides around Balboa & ride the ferry to Lido Isle. Thanks for bringing back fond memories with the pics.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
hometown for me too, nothing like a ride down the beach boardwalk, now concrete, on a vintage bicycle in the heat of summer, you cant find better eyecandy anywhere
Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
You took the short ride. I "drove" the Alaska marine highway from Bellingham, WA to Hains, AK. An awesome trip of 3 days.
I rank ferry trips along with train rides so you wouldn't be disappointed by any of them.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
My old girl was a sea on the ferry from Topolobampo, Sinaloa to La Paz, BCS, Mexico and back. It was a huge ferry with like 6 or 7 decks and state rooms. It was a great experience...Mark
Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Jim,

Nice story. Nice Pix.

Driving a dually can be challenging. I have a box truck that I'm constantly scratching and having to rebuff because of small overhead tree limbs. Can be challenging driving around a vehicle that's 10'-6" in height, but after a while, and a few knocks, you figure out where you can fit and where you have to take out the tree pruner. Luckily most of the scratches buff out.

My plow on my 92 is 8'-6" wide, but for the most part, I can angle it so I'm a little narrower.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Almost as fancy and classy as the rig I help out on from time to time, Jim!

Name:  Canadia064.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  70.6 KB

Sadly, I slept in that truck for 5 days...