1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Power to Manual Windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power to Manual Windows

I am wanting to switch my 90 D250 from power windows to manual. Has anybody done this before, and if so, how big of a pain was it? Any ideas, tips, hints, tricks, or whatever would be appreciated as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
alwaysonDTR

i just swaped out the whole doors and taped up any wires that might of had power, but my truck is 1 tone white so paint was no problem for me
Old 04-08-2008, 05:05 PM

It should be cut and dry. You will need to take off the door panel and unplug the wire for the power operation of the mirror and them remove the power one's and install the manual ones put the door panels back on and your good to go.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by heinzboz
I am wanting to switch my 90 D250 from power windows to manual. Has anybody done this before, and if so, how big of a pain was it? Any ideas, tips, hints, tricks, or whatever would be appreciated as well.

I am gonna be doing the same, sometime soon.

I have two good doors that have power-windows that are being swapped onto a truck that has bad doors and manual windows.

I absolutely DESPISE power-windows, as I have had MANY bad experiences with them; and currently, I have two LE-cab trucks that have them.

The door-panels for manual windows are different than power-window door-panels.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Free89W350
It should be cut and dry. You will need to take off the door panel and unplug the wire for the power operation of the mirror and them remove the power one's and install the manual ones put the door panels back on and your good to go.
Stupid me I thought you were talking about power mirrors . I must have misread it , my bad
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POWER WINDOWS OWN! im just lazy and like hitting buttons!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 AM

mine are stuck in the up postition . i love manual windows and door locks.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 AM

For anyone doing this swap would you be interested in selling the harness that runs under the dash to both doors for the power setup. I am swapping the other way and had planned to make up a harness.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bogie
For anyone doing this swap would you be interested in selling the harness that runs under the dash to both doors for the power setup. I am swapping the other way and had planned to make up a harness.
I also am planning on converting to power windows, doorlocks, and mirrors on my 1980 Crewcab for both front and rear doors. I would like to buy motors, regulators, harnesses, and all things needed for this.

Please PM me if you have these items. Thanks.

Peace,
Joseph
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I did the change about a year and a half ago. It was fairly simple. After you disconnect the linkage from the window, tape the window in the fully raised position with duct tape. I didn't on the drivers door and it really made a difference on the pax door. Drill out the rivets that hold the motor in place and remove the motor and regulator (To the best of my memory they were rivets and not bolts. I might be wrong but anyway the holes match up to the manual regulator). Install the manual regulator from the Donner. Heres the problem I had. I wanted to use bolts and nuts to hold the new regulator but I was never able to find room to install them. I tried for several hours. Someone else may have better luck but I really don't think it is possible. Luckily I have a Big Daddy riveter and I had some 1/4" rivets to do the first door. I ordered a pack of 50 rivets for a couple of bucks off the internet for the pax side. Rivets make the job easy and quick. Only problem with the door panel is the square hole where your power switches fit. You can use the panel from the Donner or just not worry about the hole. I don't think it looks too bad without changing the panel.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:27 PM

So you didn't have to take out the glass? I was reading some online manual, and it said you had to take out the wing window, the molding, and then remove the glass to install the new regulator. It looked like a pain, but if you can do it without having to take the glass out it doesnt look to bad. I'm not to worried about the panel and the hole from the power switches. I only plan on driving this truck through the summer anyway and then yanking the motor and putting it in something else. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I think I'll get started tearing the power crap out and getting it ready for a manual mechanism.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgethis91cmns
POWER WINDOWS OWN! im just lazy and like hitting buttons!
haha well your truck barely has any miles compared to alot of these. thats why they still work

Ive only ever seen ONE LE loaded truck with manual windows.it had the nice cloth seat and fuz in door panels and had woodgrain bezel and said LE... wow i though LE was a "package" like nothing custom could be done to it but i guess not.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Now that you mention it, I did have to remove the bolt for the brace on the vent window. I don't think the vent window has to come out, just flex the brace a little. That part was so simple that I forgot about it.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by angelfire7
I also am planning on converting to power windows, doorlocks, and mirrors on my 1980 Crewcab for both front and rear doors. I would like to buy motors, regulators, harnesses, and all things needed for this.

Please PM me if you have these items. Thanks.

Peace,
Joseph
If it were me I would do the power windows and locks and stay with manual mirrors. The power mirrors move around way to much over time (they get loose) I am going to be changing my power mirrors to manual very soon so that I can see if anyone is beside me.

But thats just my opinion
Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 AM

I did this swap out on both of my trucks and it is fairly simple you do have to drill out the "rivets" that hold the power acctuator in.. be carefull that sucker was spring loaded in mine... I did not take out the wing window.. I did have to do alot of fennagling to get the holes to line up.. after that it was cake! I really just plain like the role up ones better.

Quick Reply: Power to Manual Windows