Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Power to Manual Windows (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/power-manual-windows-200142/)

heinzboz 04-08-2008 03:04 PM

Power to Manual Windows

I am wanting to switch my 90 D250 from power windows to manual. Has anybody done this before, and if so, how big of a pain was it? Any ideas, tips, hints, tricks, or whatever would be appreciated as well.

Alwaysworking 04-08-2008 03:37 PM

i just swaped out the whole doors and taped up any wires that might of had power, but my truck is 1 tone white so paint was no problem for me

Free89W350 04-08-2008 05:05 PM

It should be cut and dry. You will need to take off the door panel and unplug the wire for the power operation of the mirror and them remove the power one's and install the manual ones put the door panels back on and your good to go.

BearKiller 04-08-2008 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by heinzboz (Post 2033888)
I am wanting to switch my 90 D250 from power windows to manual. Has anybody done this before, and if so, how big of a pain was it? Any ideas, tips, hints, tricks, or whatever would be appreciated as well.

I am gonna be doing the same, sometime soon.

I have two good doors that have power-windows that are being swapped onto a truck that has bad doors and manual windows.

I absolutely DESPISE power-windows, as I have had MANY bad experiences with them; and currently, I have two LE-cab trucks that have them.

The door-panels for manual windows are different than power-window door-panels.

Free89W350 04-08-2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Free89W350 (Post 2034052)
It should be cut and dry. You will need to take off the door panel and unplug the wire for the power operation of the mirror and them remove the power one's and install the manual ones put the door panels back on and your good to go.

Stupid me I thought you were talking about power mirrors [duhhh][duhhh]. I must have misread it , my bad[tapdshut]

dodgethis91cmns 04-08-2008 08:00 PM

POWER WINDOWS OWN! im just lazy and like hitting buttons!

farmer0_1 04-09-2008 01:04 AM

mine are stuck in the up postition . i love manual windows and door locks.

Bogie 04-09-2008 04:41 AM

For anyone doing this swap would you be interested in selling the harness that runs under the dash to both doors for the power setup. I am swapping the other way and had planned to make up a harness.

angelfire7 04-09-2008 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bogie (Post 2034886)
For anyone doing this swap would you be interested in selling the harness that runs under the dash to both doors for the power setup. I am swapping the other way and had planned to make up a harness.

I also am planning on converting to power windows, doorlocks, and mirrors on my 1980 Crewcab for both front and rear doors. I would like to buy motors, regulators, harnesses, and all things needed for this.

Please PM me if you have these items. Thanks.

Peace,
Joseph

searcher 04-09-2008 12:58 PM

I did the change about a year and a half ago. It was fairly simple. After you disconnect the linkage from the window, tape the window in the fully raised position with duct tape. I didn't on the drivers door and it really made a difference on the pax door. Drill out the rivets that hold the motor in place and remove the motor and regulator (To the best of my memory they were rivets and not bolts. I might be wrong but anyway the holes match up to the manual regulator). Install the manual regulator from the Donner. Heres the problem I had. I wanted to use bolts and nuts to hold the new regulator but I was never able to find room to install them. I tried for several hours. Someone else may have better luck but I really don't think it is possible. Luckily I have a Big Daddy riveter and I had some 1/4" rivets to do the first door. I ordered a pack of 50 rivets for a couple of bucks off the internet for the pax side. Rivets make the job easy and quick. Only problem with the door panel is the square hole where your power switches fit. You can use the panel from the Donner or just not worry about the hole. I don't think it looks too bad without changing the panel.

heinzboz 04-09-2008 01:27 PM

So you didn't have to take out the glass? I was reading some online manual, and it said you had to take out the wing window, the molding, and then remove the glass to install the new regulator. It looked like a pain, but if you can do it without having to take the glass out it doesnt look to bad. I'm not to worried about the panel and the hole from the power switches. I only plan on driving this truck through the summer anyway and then yanking the motor and putting it in something else. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I think I'll get started tearing the power crap out and getting it ready for a manual mechanism.

Crossy's son 04-09-2008 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by dodgethis91cmns (Post 2034326)
POWER WINDOWS OWN! im just lazy and like hitting buttons!

haha well your truck barely has any miles compared to alot of these. thats why they still work[laugh][laugh]

Ive only ever seen ONE LE loaded truck with manual windows.it had the nice cloth seat and fuz in door panels and had woodgrain bezel and said LE...[duhhh] wow i though LE was a "package" like nothing custom could be done to it but i guess not.

searcher 04-09-2008 02:29 PM

Now that you mention it, I did have to remove the bolt for the brace on the vent window. I don't think the vent window has to come out, just flex the brace a little. That part was so simple that I forgot about it.

Free89W350 04-09-2008 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by angelfire7 (Post 2034935)
I also am planning on converting to power windows, doorlocks, and mirrors on my 1980 Crewcab for both front and rear doors. I would like to buy motors, regulators, harnesses, and all things needed for this.

Please PM me if you have these items. Thanks.

Peace,
Joseph

If it were me I would do the power windows and locks and stay with manual mirrors. The power mirrors move around way to much over time (they get loose) I am going to be changing my power mirrors to manual very soon so that I can see if anyone is beside me.

But thats just my opinion

Crankous 04-10-2008 12:16 AM

I did this swap out on both of my trucks and it is fairly simple you do have to drill out the "rivets" that hold the power acctuator in.. be carefull that sucker was spring loaded in mine... I did not take out the wing window.. I did have to do alot of fennagling to get the holes to line up.. after that it was cake! I really just plain like the role up ones better.