1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How do I color the bulbs on my isspro gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do I color the bulbs on my isspro gauges?

Hey guys, I just got my new isspro gauges in the mail, and i also ordered green covers to go over the bulbs, but they don't fit. Apparantly they are for isspro's electronic gauges, not the ones I have. How can I make them glow green like my dash gauges? Or can I put leds in them?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to dieselmanor.com and there are two sizes of bulb covers. Ones for the mechanical gauges and ones for the electronic gauges both are for the EV gauge line.

Check it out you will see them
Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet, I want mine green too. Mine are just the yellow right now. Do you have to take the whole gauge apart to change the light cover? I just thought they came that way and you couldn't change them. Well I learn somethin new everyday
Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
I went to dieselmanor.com and there are two sizes of bulb covers. Ones for the mechanical gauges and ones for the electronic gauges both are for the EV gauge line.

Check it out you will see them
is there an easier way? are there places locally that would sell these covers so guys don't have to place an internet order for just a few dollars worth of overpriced plastic? the bulbs used in the isspro gauges - are the bulbs themselves available in different colors?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
is there an easier way? are there places locally that would sell these covers so guys don't have to place an internet order for just a few dollars worth of overpriced plastic? the bulbs used in the isspro gauges - are the bulbs themselves available in different colors?
You could try lightly bead blasting the glass and then dipping them in paint thinner that has a small amount of paint added for tint.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 AM

I think when I installed mine the directions suggested to put a green stripe from one side to the other with a sharpie (up and over the top). If I remember right, thats what I did and it has worked out alright.

Scott
Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM

i used a green sharpie and it was fine. ive also seen guys dip the bulb in plastikote, the stuff on channel lock handles and such. but id imagine that is more expensive than the bulb covers or a green sharpie.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:50 PM

with the green sharpie - wouldn't it take more than just one stripe? i would have thought the whole bulb glass needs to be covered . . .
Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM

i think i read somewhere that the single stripe is just to dim the bulb if you find it too bright . . .
Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Really? Does the green sharpie make it match the factory gauges well? That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blast and coat ? go down to your local SW Plastics store or similar, get the clear colored pieces of plastic, cut and install.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 PM

just a thought why couldnt you just sand them a little and use spraypaint? i havent dealt much with bulbs but why couldnt it be done?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Install some LED's in them, the color will be sharper, the #194 lamps in my Autometers started to melt the cheap plastic housings.

This is with incandescent lamps installed.

Here are the LED’s; the upper spectrum of the blue also causes the red on the pointers to fluoresce.

I chose the module with 6 die for even lighting.

They are the same ones that I had installed in my instrument cluster, I am still 100% satisfied with their performance, and at last I can actually see my instruments without guessing.

And yes they are completely dimmable from full On to Off.

This is what they look like, you can get colored LED's

If you want to be cheap you can get colored lamps in most base configurations at places like Pep Boys in the Pimp My Ride section for a few bucks each.

Also for those who try to color their own lamps with various paints or dyes, let them burn outside of the gauge at full brightness for awhile to cook the paint, the paint may emit a vapor that could cloud the inside of your gauge.

The cheap HID bulbs do the same thing to the inside of your composite headlamps.

Jim
Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM

LEDs are the way to go. Incandescent bulbs will work and all but if you've spent the money on good Isspro gauges Id use LEDs.

Ive tried the painted/tinted incandescent bulbs and the color faded and peeled within a month or so. Switched to LEDs and havent had a complaint since.

I wish mine were a bit brighter but thats my fault for only ordering single LED bulbs.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Wow Jim! Do you have a part number for those!?

Thanks Guys!

Quick Reply: How do I color the bulbs on my isspro gauges?