1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help with my new Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:34 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Help with my new Radiator

Hello everyone, I need help. I'm about to put my new radiator in the truck. My question is. How do I get ALL of the old coolant out of the engine block? I drained the old radiator, and pulled off both hoses. Is there any old coolant still in the block?

I changing all the hoses, rad, and the thermostat.

Thanks, for your help. Tony
Old 09-10-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by TJE
How do I get ALL of the old coolant out of the engine block?
You don't. Just do your thing with the new parts and fill it with the good premix stuff. The little that is still in your block will be very diluted.
I like the CAT certified orange premix from walmat (Global something?)
Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
You don't. Just do your thing with the new parts and fill it with the good premix stuff. The little that is still in your block will be very diluted.
I like the CAT certified orange premix from walmat (Global something?)
Thanks, mhuppertz. My concern is I don't want to find out that what was in there is that Dexacool or something that won't mix. I don't want to gell up the system. Thanks, Tony
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
TJE

Hello again everyone, I did some checking, but still don't know for sure so I'll ask the question differently. Is ALL antifreeze, compatible? Or will ANY antifreeze work? I was told that the orange colored AF will not mix with the other AF. That when mixed it will turn to gell. Is this correct?

Thanks, Tony
Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
You could pull all the coolant lines loose and pull the thermostat, then back flush everything with the garden hose, including the heater core. Not only will you get out almost all the old stuff but a little rust and junk too.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by Boatnik
You could pull all the coolant lines loose and pull the thermostat, then back flush everything with the garden hose, including the heater core. Not only will you get out almost all the old stuff but a little rust and junk too.
Thanks, I guess this is what I'll do. My bro. inlaw mixed his AF and it gelled his van up it was a disaster. He had to put the van in the shop.

Later, Tony
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done alot of rad swap and or repairs to were I had to refill the whole system and I never really woried about the old stuff unless the inside of the rad showed alot of corrosion or liquid was gummy while draining. Besides most of the old fluid is already drained, if the fins of your rad look corroded it might be in your best interest to take it to the local rad shop and have them run it through there magic cleaning tank and check it for any current or potential leaks, it will help it run cooler. As far as I know Dexcool was only used in GM's and yes it does gel if mixed with normal AF, my mother in-law and sister in-law both did it in there GM's and unfortuatly for me I had to fix it (I wish I would have taken wood shop instead of auto mechanics in tech ).