1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

help me pick new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me pick new tires

weather is getting to the point where I need new skins. I drive this thing on the highway mostly, a lot of unloaded miles, but do tug cars around a decent bit, rarely over 10,000lbs on a bumper pull with bars and bags. I'm particuarlly interested in improved wet traction over what I have now, and tread life would be ok too Not looking for a highway tread strictly, because when called on, the truck needs to be able to get in and out and around muddy/wet/snowy fields when back in Iowa. The highway miles dictate no paddle tires either :P

I'm not too concerned with tire noise, the truck itself makes enough noise I doubt tires can be heard above it

Who's found the great comprimise tire with enough of a rating to handle the above loads?

*edit* looking to stay with the 265/75/16 size I have now. The look a little meatier than the stock 235/85 and are just a touch taller. I can't go any bigger or the truck doesn't fit in my garage lol
Old 12-05-2003, 06:39 PM

Re:help me pick new tires

BF goodrich A/T or the long trail may be a good choice

Woody
Old 12-05-2003, 08:55 PM

DON'T BUY FIRESTONE
Old 12-05-2003, 10:02 PM

Iv'e had excellent success with the BFG a/t's. It's all I run now. Heavy sidewall, great traction, and really good tread life.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:21 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Cooper Discoverer A/T, is good in the rain on the highway ( I have lightly fish tailed at high speed with deep water mainly from having duals). They come E rated and are not noisy. I have a very steep, icy hill to climb every winter, and go down an unplowed 2-track to get to my cabin. Lots of dirt roads too. As far as loads, I don't have a safe hitch to tow with at this time. I have carried up to 6 round bales more than once. Yard and a half of top soil, at least 2 yards of wet road gravel. Lots of stones and logs. Up to 20 80lb bags of quick crete, only because thats all I felt like mixing that day. Been through a couple sippy holes too. The one time I got stuck was from being hung up on a submerged stump back at deer camp.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:29 AM
DJ

BFG at, much better traction wet than the goodyears I had. Softer ride, don't know about treadwear yet. Only comes in a load range D so some tire stores won't put them on your truck if the door sticker says load range E. Michlen makes a good long wearing highway tire load range E but not very agressive tread.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:18 PM

wild country TXR
they are a new design from them. good in mud/dirt/ice.
little bit of noise on highway but not bad
Old 12-07-2003, 08:43 PM

I would go with Toyo M55s. one of my customers runs in the oil field with a bunch of 1 ton trucks and has the best luck with these tires, they are good in snow rain and mud. they run about 80 miles a day on the interstate and the rest is off road. I now have these tires on 2 of my trucks and have not worn out a set yet to say just how tough they are but seem good so far.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:45 AM

My last tires were Michelin, LTX's all the tires in this series are great although a bit spendy. I am now running Yokohama, Geolanders. Both tires in our size are load rated E so the weight you are talking about is not a problem. The Yoko's are a close second in my opinion. Great traction in slush, snow, mud, and nice and quiet on the road....
Old 12-08-2003, 08:21 PM

I have heard nothing but good about the BFG a/t series. There is the milder version, the k/o, which is a great for wet traction and hard pack, and the m/t which is more aggresive, and better for mud/deep snow.

The k/o will last longer, but the m/t is more aggresive. It all comes down to being realistic about what you really do.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:39 PM

I've got Yokohama Geolander At's and have to say I am very impressed with the traction.
I had to order them because they are not common around here but the dealer says he has put them on some work trucks for plowing and general duty stuff and has nothing but good reviews. I believe they have a 80000km tread warranty as well.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:42 AM

for a 265/75r16 it looks like the Yoko is a D rated tire, not E? It doesn't look like there's much diff tween D and E? My sticker on my truck actually says D rated tires. looking on the tirerack the yokos look to be a deal, $44/tire cheaper
Old 12-09-2003, 09:01 AM

the 75 is a D the 85 is a E, I am running the 85. If I recall the price difference was minimal.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:05 AM

I'm sorry, that was unclear. The yokos are $44 cheaper than the Michelins or bridgestones, and yet ranked #3 on tirerack
Old 12-10-2003, 11:50 AM

I just put on 4 Yokohama 265/75-16 H/T-S in D load range.
They rated the best in the Tire Rack's system (whatever that's worth). Mileage warantee (yea right) was the same as the Michelin,Goodyear, etc.
Price was right at $95 each. Compared to the $150 for Michelin and Goodyear.
So far they are fantastic...for an allseason tread. Great in rain and dry pavement....not so great as expected in snow with a 2 wd...that's what cement blocks are for!!
Jay Leonard

Quick Reply: help me pick new tires