1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HELP! I think I messed Parker's truck up...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! I think I messed Parker's truck up...

Hey everybody this is Dallas again. You all have been really helpful so far, and noone else is home so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I was trying to change the oil and filters for Parker (he bought them, and his neighbor saw me trying and came to help me, lol) and when we got to the fuel filter (I think that is what his neighbor said) after we changed it Bernie won't start. The truck will act like it is going to start (I think they called it cranking, sorry for being so dumb) but it won't start.

Parker has told me something before about having to bleed the air out I think so how exactly would I go about doing that? He said something about injectors, and a wrench I think?

I appreciate any help you all can give me.

Thank you so much,

Dallas
Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First you are going to need to slightly loosen up this little bolt right here circled in red. The LITTLE head, not the big bolt it's in
Name:  Dodgefuelsystempictures004.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  171.2 KB

NOW- Look down at the little fuel lift pump at the BACK of the engine at the BOTTOM on the DRIVERS SIDE. you should see a little lever on the pump, pump the heck out of that little lever, you should see fuel coming out of that little bolt you just loosened after a few pumps,(in the pic above), pump it quite a few times then tighten the little bolt back up. HERE"S THE LIFT PUMP, the lever you need to pump is circled in red.
Name:  Dodgefuelsystempictures005.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  205.0 KB

Ok now try to start it....If it still doesn't start. See below

Ok now get a 17mm wrench and you're going to have to bleed the injectors of air... Look at the 6 injectors (fuel lines going into them) on the passenger side of the engine, right above the exhaust manifold NEXT to the valve covers.

You'll see a big nut on top of each injector, slightly loosen or "crack" 1 injector nut at a time and have someone crank over the engine until you see fuel squirt out, repeat this 5 more times on each injector. THE TRUCK MAY START ON THE 3RD OR 4TH INJECTOR, if this happens. Don't panic. Just slightly loosen the remaining injector nuts for a second, fuel will squirt out and quickly tighten it back up so you don't make a mess. and when you bleed the last injector it should be running perfect.
The injector nuts are circled in red.
Name:  Dodgefuelsystempictures006.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  170.9 KB

Then it should start after some cranking

Easier than it sounds

-Brandon
Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Thank you Brandon I'm going out there to try this right now.

I think Parker has talked about you before. He has said something about wishing he had someone as smart as you to talk to about these trucks when he was in school. Instead he just had me, lol.

Thank you again,

Dallas
Old 08-04-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hahahaha that's funny.

Make sure you see the pics i added.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:59 PM

Just to pinpoint the "lift pump" a little better for you here is a picture of the surrounding area and the pump. In the bottom of the picture is a new looking item and that is the lift pump. Parkers probably looks different that the one in the pic as it is a new style pump in my pic. with mine you just press in the black acordion looking thingy a bunch of times. Parker will have a smaller pump that is roundish and has a lever sticking out perpendicular to the engine. That is what Brandon is talking about pushing down and up.

Good luck!

Nevermind. In the time it took me to type this Brandon added more pictures! Way to go Jedi!!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
You should only have to bleed the filter of air. Try starting it after that. If it runs but runs rough, just hold the RPMs up a little and the air will bleed itself out of the injectors.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 PM

next time make sure your filter is full if diesel before you put it back on. you wont have that problem again.