1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

head gasket maybe help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question head gasket maybe help

last 2 days my truck has ben running weak so i got home tonight and poped the hood there is a lite white smoke comming of of my hot side of my turbo only when running and right after i turned off motor there is no presure in radiator i was able to just take off cap no water in oil that i could see please help head gasket is what i thing but just like other guy i am diesel motor special no idea
Old 11-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pretty sure a common thing that happens when the head gasket goes on these is that the antifreeze leaks out of the head. I believe usually by the exhaust manifold. Good luck hope you get it figured out
Old 11-17-2005, 08:47 PM

if it is my head gasket what does a kit cost? also where besides the book would i find info on the task of it i have looked everwhere thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 09:02 PM

il have to let someone else key you in on that one
Old 11-17-2005, 09:31 PM

Contact Rockjeep73 via PM Corey or Cole should be able to help you out tell them I sent you.

Rick
Old 11-18-2005, 01:00 AM

If it is the head gasket you will need to get a Cummins marine head gasket from Piers($130), you will need to get the head re-surfaced, if you plan on makin a bunch of horse power and over 40psi of boost you should also get it o-ringed and arp head studs. As far as getting the head on and off it's pretty simple, just take everything thats mounted to the head off of it, unbolt it, and use a cherry picker or a lot of guys to get it off. How many miles does your truck have and what's done to it performance wise? I just did headgasket, studs, porting, re-surfacing and o-ringing on my 89. Let me know if you need help finding a good machine shop to do the work.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:37 PM

it has about 180,000 i plan on not much upgrade only pump tweeked 12cm housing 4" exhaust i need to do it this weekend it is my work truck and i live pay check to pay check cant miss work i started it already after work got alot off the thing is it is going to be hard geting it off by myself but i have to do it i am going to have to us a NAPA gasket i have all the tools needed? just have to locate a torque wrech this saterday
Old 11-18-2005, 09:34 PM

i just went thru the water woes. check every hose in that area. i thought i was having water pump troubles, replaced pump, etc found out it was the little water hose right by thrmostat. chjeck your heater hoses in that area it might be a small little hole. i think it would be unusual to blow a gasket on these motors at 180k. but it could happen.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by keithplacervill
last 2 days my truck has ben running weak so i got home tonight and poped the hood there is a lite white smoke comming of of my hot side of my turbo only when running and right after i turned off motor there is no presure in radiator i was able to just take off cap no water in oil that i could see please help head gasket is what i thing but just like other guy i am diesel motor special no idea

I would suggest checking the turbo first. your description doesn't sound like a head gasket. The loss of power and now the smoke comming from the exh turbin housing sounds more like the turbo is dragging and now leaking at the shaft seals. Pull your intake hose off and check for excessive movement of the shaft and look for oil, and check for free spinning.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 PM

turbo is great water not leaking but there is no pres in rad hose and truck has started running like poooo and loseing water somewhere also there has ben a ping in motor for a month truck has never got hot so i am just going to try the head gasket
Old 11-18-2005, 10:48 PM

Head gasket seems kinda pointless if your not sure. Its not something I would personally want to do just to see if it fixes a problem. Usually when a head gasket goes, You know it!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:56 PM

i have no idea what else in could be just hopeing any ideas what else could be wrong
Old 11-19-2005, 12:18 AM

you can try pressure testing you whole cooling system and see where its coming from
Old 11-30-2005, 01:42 PM

I had a coolant leak somewhere around the front of the engine.., it was blowing out 1 gallon per 200 miles whenever I pulled a load (8K lbs).., I replaced the water pump twice thinking that was it..
Daunted by the prospect of replacing the head gasket... and pain/$$$ for the parts..., I tried Thermagasket.com.. it was an excellent fix and the head gasket quit leaking.., I've come close to the H on the dummy gauge a couple of times when pulling uphill and the head has never leaked again..; it is an inexpensive fix and worth it in my book..
It did spread some goop on the outer engine wall while curing/sealing though.., that stuff really sticks and seals...