1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

has any one replaced a cab top???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has any one replaced a cab top???

My cab top is rusted very bad around the top of the windsheid. I think, I will cut, a top off a reck, and weld it back at the top of the piller post. Have any of u guys done this one before?? I'm getting sick of water standing in the floor. Thanks Tboling
Old 02-15-2006, 12:45 PM

roof replacement

I am just finishing replacing the roof on my 91. It is not a terrible job if you have experience with a welder and know some body work basics. Make sure to cut the donor vehicle as low on the pillars as possible. Measure carefully, and do not try to butt the roof and door pillar together. I made sleaves that tacked inside of the door pillar and then the roof slid right on. This avoided any alignment issues. I also staggered the inside and outside seams by about 6". This made final body work easier and made the finished product straighter. Once this is all done, it should just be a matter of some grinding and a touch of body filler. You will cook the seam sealer out of the rain gutter with the welder, so plan on resealing that with a good quality automotive sealant. 3M makes a good one that is easily painted. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I just scabbed a piece in to replace the roof skin and drip edge, so as not to have to fool with the windo opening. Sealed it up with POR 15, and put the visor back on . . . I just painted my repair flat black, though, and didn't have to fool with the interior.

flatrock's method is the better way, though, and if you have access to painting facilities, is probably just as fast as what I did.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 PM

The guy that bought my pickup after i had wrecked it had to replace the top of the cab. He cut it about 1/2 the way down the A pillar, and the same on the rear post, and welded top of the donor cab onto the old one. I was just down there to see it on Saturday after he got the cab all done and painted. The cab looks better than when it rolled off the assembly line, but the truck is without fenders and it still needs a trip to the frame shop. There is pictures i think in my profile of where the A pillar was bent before, but dont have anything from what he has done since. I think he used the top of an 80's model cab b/c he said it was easier to do it that way than swap the whole cab out, being that the donor was from a gasoline truck and the firewalls are supposedly different.

I know those trucks are prone to rusting around the rain gutter. Had the same problem on my 90 model. It had sort of a cheap band aid fix and started to rust again when i got rid of it. But something tells me if you looked at the truck when I was done with it, that rust around the gutter would have been the last thing you noticed.

Adam
Old 02-16-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WVU dodge,
After looking at your pics I see that your old truck is the truck that Tom bought, here's a link to his gallery over at DTW, so ya'll can see the good job he did on fixing it http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....ry.ten?id=6678

My truck too is plagued with the rust along the drip edge I am hoping to get it fixed with my tax money, so I am definitly interested in all of ya'lls ideas to fix the problem!!

Chris
Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 PM

Chris,

I didnt know he had that website. He has got the whole interior finished it looks like. When I saw it just about 5 days ago it was painted and had the glass in, but no seats or headliner. It will look better than new when he gets done with it.

Adam
Old 02-17-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea that thing is definitly looking good, he has under one of those pics that it was dynoed around 400hp, is that with just the mods in your sig, I am assuming that the one in your sig is the one ya sold to Tom?

Chris