1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

good lift kit for a 91 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good lift kit for a 91 4x4?

i am going to be looking to lift my 91. it's is a single rear wheel 1 ton, i would like to be able to accommodate a 35" tire. anyone have a good recomendation?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM

i had 91 dually a few years ago and i just cut some 1 inch plate and put under springs. worked real good. not enough for that big of tire tho
Old 11-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Look at my pics. I have 33's, but there is more than enough room for 35's.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've said it before--Fred has the most perfect-est stance for a 1st gen
Old 11-21-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
I've said it before--Fred has the most perfect-est stance for a 1st gen
I'll second that
Old 11-21-2005, 09:59 PM

fred is that add a leaf or a full skyjacker spring?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:39 AM

Here's what Fred told me in a PM a few weeks ago:

''Hey Greg, thanks. The lift is a Skyjacker soft ride 4 inch front springs, and rear replacement springs. I tried the AAL in the rear, it was too harsh.
So I did the 6 inch rear springs with 2.5 inch blocks.
If you're not familiar with the Skyjacker rear replacement springs, the same 6 inch spring is used in the stock up to the 8 inch lift. They just add a bigger block for the amount of lift.Shocks are Bilstein 5100's. I also did the dropped Pitman arm and adjustable draglink.
In addition I had to build a new front driveshaft. Longer and more flex for the CV.
The ride is better and handles speed smoother, too.''

hope that helps
Old 11-22-2005, 03:00 PM

I used to be a shop foreman at 4wheel parts, I have installed many a brand of lift kit, for your application you cant go wrong with a skyjacker soft ride kit.
You should be able to fit 35s no problem with the 4" front springs , as for the rear I would also use the 6" with an 1 1/2 to 2" block. this should give you a nice leavle stance. You will be suprized how much better it rides. I would say to upgrade to an ajustable shock though like a rancho 9000 . as for people useing a 6" sping without a block in the rear as a stock replacement, that would give you some seriuse rake. I have used the 4" rears with no block on a stock 4x4 and it sat perfect. In your app though if you go with the 4" fronts I would recomend the 6" rears, the less block you run the better. AND NEVER EVER RUN A BLOCK IN THE FRONT!!!!!!! you will be risking your life and everyone elses on the roads.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:41 PM

Micaiahfied, as Greg already posted, the rears are full replacement Skyjacker springs. There is a shot of the rear in my gallery.

Now that I've had it in for a few months, I have some further impressions. First, I need sway bars. Second, I need a little more weight up front. Probably a winch bumper and winch(300lb.) would do. The rear with a few hundred in it, does ride better.

I can take stuff at speed like I used to in my 03 with the KORE RACE system. No, it isn't the same, but it's better than stock for sure. Got to do something about the bouncy bench seat though. Upgrading that will make a difference. Anyone with a newer seat care to chime in on the ride difference. Anything's got to be better than this bench seat. Plus it doesn't go back far enough for me, either.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:30 PM

i've upgraded my 2wd to 99QC seats, i really like them. i will probably be putting the same seats into the 4x4. i have a few questions... lets say i decide to go with a lift that i think is identical to yours....
4 inch skyjacker front
6 inch skyjacker rear with blocks
1. where do i find the drop pitman arm? (and an idea of cost)
2. what is an adjustable drag link? (don't mean to sound dumb, just don't know a whole lot on suspension)
3. for a 4 inch lift is the driveshaft required or just reccomended? (and maybe an idea of what that may cost)
Old 11-22-2005, 11:28 PM

The dropped pitman arm and adjustable draglink are from Skyjacker too. Those 2 items are over $300 together. The adj Drag is needed because of the amount of lift. You need to make it as long as possible, as you'll lose steering to the right(won't turn as far). It's nothing more than that short link with a threaded sleeve on it.

Driveshaft is required. The stock one is 1.5 inches too short, and the CV and the pinion end u-joint do not have near enough clearance to work, without binding up the joints.

I got mine at a local place, for under $250 for a complete new shaft.

How is the ride from the newer seat. That much better?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:12 AM

Sky Jacker

I called skyjacker them self's and asked for a number for a good dealer. They given me a number in Salt Lake. I don't remember the name fo the place. But they told me for around 1400 they would sale a full kit everything you need includeding brake lines and a few other things. I would recommend asking skyjacker for a number.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:39 AM

Sorry to jusm in here with questions. My 89' has shot front springs from all the years with the plow hanging out there. I dont care about getting it up high, I was just wanting a better ride and get it level. Could I use 2.5" springs in front and some 4" springs in the rear?(i want to get ride of one of the 2 blocks back there)

With only 2.5" lift in front and about stock hight in ther rear can I use stock hight shocks?

I just dont want to have to build and replace stuff. I just want to drive it into the ground.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:47 AM

pwrtripls1--I'm going with 2.5 soft rides up front and I've been told that the 6'' spring out back will allow complete removal of the factory block, which is 3'' on our older trucks. Found some good prices here http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/ less than a grand for a kit (no brake lines, drag link or drop pitman arm needed for the 2.5'') I'm going with softride springs then adding rear airbags for towing/ride height adjustment.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:28 AM

fred, the truck (stock susspension as far as i know) doesn't turn as tight to the right as it is... steering wheel is loose at speed (i can get about 1/4 turn to the right before it effects the wheels) you say i'll lose steering, does the drag link correct that so that you don't lose any, or are you bound to lose a little no matter what you do?

Quick Reply: good lift kit for a 91 4x4?