1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

a good deal on a 91?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a good deal on a 91?

hi all.

i read on a regular basis but this is my first post. here's the situation.

i currently have a 93 d250 le extended cab, bone stock, which is in pretty good shape, a little rust on the rockers (it's lived in minnesota for it's whole life) but otherwise it's a solid vehicle. paid $5k for it last year (it had 139k then, 150k now) and have put about a thousand into it in tires, brakes, etc.

today i'm in new mexico to give thanks with the folks and came across a post in the local paper for a 5th wheel trailer + 91 d250 reg cab, asking $12k for the both or $6k for either alone. both are nice and the two seem to be a real good deal. i'm not sure i need/want the trailer now, but the truck seems to be too good a deal to let pass.

am i mistaken?

it's a 91 d250 reg cab with 114k, seems to be mint condition. was used exclusively to pull the 5th wheel by a fellow who used to be a trucker. i didn't inquire as to all the specifics of the engine goodies but i did learn he'd added a banks intercooler and i observed he had added gauges, + 120 gallon tank in the bed, + a toolbox, + the fifth wheel hitch +, a gas powered electric generator (mounted in the bed, for the trailer, which would go with the truck). new tires, no rust, original mirrors. i haven't yet driven it.

he's selling it because the wife wanted a motorhome.

having checked the dtr classifieds, i see that both apache and texashardcore are selling their rigs, which seem to be similar to this one i'm looking at.

based on what i've described,

1) is this truck the good deal it seems to me to be?
2) would my current pickup sell for the same or more?

thanks in advance for your sage advice and happy turkey day.

>>albertross
Old 11-24-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems the 89 thru early 92 are worth a little less due to no intercooler and no OD trans on them if an auto. I see he added an IC to it though. Diff parts are hard if at all avaliable if one breakes (3.08s) Im kinda baffeled at the fact I havent had but 1 guy actually drive mine and only a total of 3 calls. Granted when I tell them where I live they dont wanna drive out here but Im willing to meet half way. I would even negociate my price more if someone was serious. I think also with the holidays upon us its slow as well. If your not interested in the trailer why even switch? 150K isnt much, consider the other has towed all its like, trans,chassis,etc. If its truly mint cond, than its really what its worth to you, Ive seen them for more.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like a smokin' deal. I'd jump on it. Rust free, got the intercooler, how could you pass it up?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:37 AM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems the 89 thru early 92 are worth a little less due to no intercooler

All CTD's from 91.5 and up came with the intercooler.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Banned

love the square trucks, but the single cabs are a bit cramped if you're tall... I put 65k on my '91 in a year... I would have had to have knee surgery if it was a 5sp and not auto... I'm 6'4" and my knees were right there at the dash

forrest
Old 11-25-2004, 11:28 AM

The 91.5's did have intercoolers, and also had available overdrive autos, which mine has.

That truck sounds like a good deal. If it's better than your present one, then why not? You can get alot of extra miles in a first gen that way, and who wouldn't want to do that?