1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

getrag sticks in 2nd,any help out there

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getrag sticks in 2nd,any help out there

my new to me 93 w250 4x4 has a terrible habit of sticking in 2nd will go in real nice wont come out going into 3rd or any other gear for that matter , dosent do it all the time ,about 50% of the time ,u pulled the shifter assy off the top of the trans everything looked good no torn up gears or syncros,
cleaned and inspected shifter assy ,forks looked good no visible broken or worn parts ,anyone else had this problem and what fixed it, , thanks,
Old 03-12-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Tranny's have a mechanism which prevents them from being in 2 gears at once. This is separate from the "H" mechanism for shifting. When the "H" mechanism gets worn it will allow the shift lever to come over into the 3-4 rod before it has completely pulled the 1-2 out of 2nd. Then you're stuck because you can't go into any other gear until it's completely out of 2nd and the shifter is no longer engaged with the 1-2 rod. The trick is to get the shifter back into the 1-2 rod, pull it into neutral then you can go on about your business.

Mine does the same thing and I was told to get a $20 pin to fix it. The pin came with a big gasket for the top cover but since the tranny would need to be removed to install the pin I decided to live with the problem until much later.

I'm sure somebody will chime in with the link to get the part. If not PM me and I'll see if I can find it for you.

I am just careful to make sure it is all the way out of the previous gear before I let the shifter move sideways. I have the most problem between 3-4 and 5-R. Once it stuck in 1st. That was fun driving 12 mph about 20 blocks to home.

Edwin
Old 03-12-2006, 06:22 PM

i cut a hole in the tunnel around the shifter top plate ,after i rolled the carpet up and back ,that way i didnt have to pull the trans, i could just pull the shifter assy from the top and reweld the hole after the fix, if i can find a fix or a rebuilt/new shifter assy , does anyone know if these are still avail from dodge
Old 03-15-2006, 08:40 PM

i ordered a rebuilt shifter from mantrans , hopefully this will fix the problem
im afraid the truck is just not driveable as it is ,
im still open to any suggestions
Old 03-15-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
That's probably the best solution. After that you should change the oil and use a good quality 5W30 motor oil. Overfill it by 1 qt. 5 qts. total and your bearings will live longer.

Edwin