1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

getrag rebuild options

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
getrag rebuild options

I have some trouble with My getrag transmission, I test drove the truck and I can feel when I'm in 2nd gear and let go of the forward pedal it wants to pop off the gear. I finally removed it from the truck and the input shaft has a little play to it as well.
Is it possible for Me to rebuild it or this is something better left for a shop?

Money is an issue and if it cost more than I can spend I need to do the job Myself but i don't want to have a future problem with this tranny if I can prevent it now.

I will read the sticky as well but please let Me know what is the best option and if possible where can I get a complete rebuild kit with seal and all that's necessary.

Thank You.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you have (or have access to) a press it will be easier.

Zumbrota Gear on Ebay has rebuild kits. It sounds like the 2nd gear synchros on your are shot.

There is a pdf of the Getrag rebuild section of the '93 FSM floating around out there, I'm sure somebody will email it to you if you ask.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 AM

No I don't have a press, I do have many tools but not a press.

About the pdf yes if anyone have this and is willing to email it to Me please let Me know.

Any ideas how much should I pay for a rebuild.

Thank You.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 AM

Is this the one I need if I do the rebuild Myself.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That'll do it.

I paid $750 for R&R of the trans and rebuilding, I supplied the parts.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Good. Anyone that did this at home, can You give Me some advise as to how to tackle this and what You did to complete it properly.

Thank You.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine at home. 7000 miles so far with no troubles. The press is very helpful. There are only about 3 things that get pressed off and on in there. I tried a puller but had no luck so I bought a press. You will need a dial caliper or some other measuring tool to set the bearing preload. I bought a rebuild kit, New input shaft and new shift forks. I also had to replace the 3rd gear. The only thing that I probally did not need was the shift forks as mine were all fine but I changed them anyhow. I spent more time waiting on parts than anything else. Its all pretty simple. I think if your capable enough to get it out of the truck you can rebuild it just fine.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MoparMarv
I did mine at home. 7000 miles so far with no troubles. The press is very helpful. There are only about 3 things that get pressed off and on in there. I tried a puller but had no luck so I bought a press. You will need a dial caliper or some other measuring tool to set the bearing preload. I bought a rebuild kit, New input shaft and new shift forks. I also had to replace the 3rd gear. The only thing that I probally did not need was the shift forks as mine were all fine but I changed them anyhow. I spent more time waiting on parts than anything else. Its all pretty simple. I think if your capable enough to get it out of the truck you can rebuild it just fine.
It took Me less than 3 hours to remove the engine and transmission out of the truck, I have done several clutch replacement on various transmission I just don't know what I'll find when I start removing stuff nor where to start.

How much for a press or is this something I can take to a shop.

Can You help Me out a bit so I know how to get started?

Thank You.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Is this what You are talking about?
Old 08-10-2008, 06:48 PM

or this one?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got done rebuilding my first Getrag, not too bad. I have a homemade press frame that I use my porta-power in. It took all of the 10 tons to push off fifth gear I think it was, so I would get aleast a 10 ton.

You will need good snap ring pliers, a pair for the flat external ones would be nice if ya got them.
Roll pin punches.
Dial caliper or depth micrometer and regular mic.
Assorted big sockets for driving in seals.

I would get the parts from ZBAG.COM I got thbe rebuild kit with synchros for around $260. Great service, and they have all the small parts and shims too.

A helping hand is ideal for disassembly and reassembly.

PM me your email and I'll send you the manual if you don't have it.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 PM

Pm sent.

Thank You.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up the 20 ton press from Harbor frieght. Also got some bearing plates as well. My current job was the forst job I have had that doesn't have a press. No less than a week after a finished the trans they brought a press. As for starters take off the top cover and look for the obvious stuff. Bearings pitted and chewed up, broken or chipped gears, shift fork condition.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Well I'm considering My options right now and will appreciate experienced folks to give Me some advice here.

The tranny shop (local) wants $510 for the rebuild plus materials. I asked them if the rebuild kit I found on ebay could be used since it sells for $260 but the guy said He uses all original parts and He won't give a warranty on a rebuild unless it is with original parts. That sounds good to Me (1 year unlimited miles warranty) but I wonder how much are the parts going to cost Him. I think having a warranty is a good idea so I may go in this direction.

I pulled the tranny and clutch today and it seems to Me the clutch is only half gone maybe less so I think I'll put it back and wait on that for a while.
Now I do need to get a TO bearing and pilot bearing so if someone knows where to get one please let Me know. Would south bend sell this two bearings alone?

Thank You.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, do the Throwout bearing and pilot whenever you have the trans out. Some will argue that you should replace the pilot bushing with a bearing (requires a little machine work on the flywheel)others will steer you away from that. As long as you do not buy chinese junk you can get bearings/bushings most anyplace and I expect SB will sell you just those parts as well. You may also want to consider doing the rear main seal while everything is apart.

Quick Reply: getrag rebuild options