1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel sump

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Fuel sump

Jimbo drove over from california yesterday and helped me with my install. We had a great time! I bought a helmann sump and new fuel lines to compliment my airdog 150 and get rid of my 1/4 tank issues (draw straw). Seems I succeeded with this. I put a mere 4 gallons back in and drove it around and no sloshing could get it to lose pressure. I also put the new lines on to replace the old ones that were cracking. The airdog came with blue hose that said "boston" on it. It started cracking a couple months after install. As soon as I saw cracks on the inner layer I knew I had to fix it. New stuff is Parker brand and feels like a much better line. I installed the sump just below the factory one on that little flat circle. I sanded the tank smooth right there to aid in sealing. Had a small issue with the sump bolts though, he shorted me one nylon sealing washer. But I could not get the nylon washers to seal up anyways. They flatten out and leak when you tighten them down tight but if you dont snug them pretty good the flange will leak. I think the inner diameter on them is too big for use with the cap screws. I larger head bolt and washers of a diameter closer to bolt size might work just fine. So a trip to ace hardware and 10 copper washers later problem appears solved. If they seep any I will find a good sealer to put on them, but right now I have no sealer that is rated for use with diesel. But the best part about the install is how quiet the airdog is now! Its nearly silent! You have to really listen for it with the engine off outside the truck to even hear it. Inside you cannot hear it at all. With engine on you have to put your hand on it to know its running. I'd say it lowered noise at least 75% from before. Other than the sealing washers I am very impressed with the sump. Very nice looking piece. Over all a good day. Even got a turn on Jimbo's fuel screw just for fun!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet deal how bout some pics been really thinking bout doing the same to my 92!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 AM

You get the idea.. I went just behind the place you did. I didnt want the OEM fuel pick up to block the fuel bowl.. I had the same luck put 2 gallons in and drove with no problems. No leaks after 4 months so far..

Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

I compressed the fuel basket a bit and wired it up that way so it keeps the fuel sump uncovered. Not much, maybe half inch or so. Try for pics later, its actually pouring rain in AZ right now...... Amazing.......
Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Well it stopped raining so I went out and took a peak. The copper washers are wet with fuel. No drips but they are definitely wet with fuel. I think I am going to try some nylon washers with a larger head bolt so they don't squeeze out so bad. TLRMAN I assume you just used the nylon washers that came with it? Did they squeeze out at all? How tight did you get the bolts? I am starting to wonder if maybe Joe just sent me the next size up nylon washers??? The inner diameter just doesn't work with small shoulder of the socket head cap screws. And its obvious you can't tighten a 1/4 20 tight enough to crush a copper washer either. The copper washers I used are actually 3/16 washers and fit the bolt perfectly.
Here is a pic of the sump
Name:  e0060e9a.jpg
Views: 2425
Size:  76.7 KB
You can see the fuel on a couple bolts. Took it 16 hours to leak that much though. Got to do something with it I hate doing stuff twice. Any body have any suggestions on how best to seal this thing up? I'll call Helmann on Monday and see what he thinks.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 PM

i was wondering about the sealing as well but I still think this is great!!! Nice install
Old 07-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Went back down to ace hardware and they had some heavy duty nylon washers. The inner diameter is only .010 bigger that the bolt, and they are 1/8 inch thick. The ones that come with it are a little under 1/16. The ones from ace feel harder but it may just be because they are more rigid from the extra thickness. Went out and put them on and so far so good. No leaks. With these thick ones I could actually tighten them down pretty good and the washers didn't squeeze out. I will update tomorrow after it sits for a while. I think it will be good to go this time.

Aaron
Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good...this is something on my to do list eventually to keep the A1000 happy. Its either this or a fuel cell.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 PM

do you have to drop the tank to do this mod? i need to run a eletric fuel pump soon and def want a sump.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Yes you have to drop the tank. There is a ring the size of the sealing flange that goes on the inside of the tank and the bolts thread into it. You have to remove the sending unit to get the ring in the tank.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 AM

Looks sweet thinking this a defianate thing need to be done on mine!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:51 AM

theres always silicone lol looks good
Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 AM

I did use the nylon washer supplied. I just snugged them all to like 20 inch pounds. They were just starting to crush when I stopped.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 AM

I used Permatex Ultra Gray on mine and had zero leaks. I use that stuff on everything from timing covers to diff covers to everything in between and it always works great.

Quick Reply: Fuel sump