1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

FSS Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 06:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
FSS Wiring

I hate to start another What Is This thread, but try as I might I can not follow the wiring in the FSM.
If anyone can point me at the page, or wiring diagram number that shows the FSS I would appreciate it.
To start with What is this:

Should it get power from the FSS?

I think this thing should be connected to the 2nd tab on the FSS.
And when I say "think" I really mean ***?

My recent issue the truck stops running all of a sudden.
After lots of reading threads here I know it's the FSS. But it wasn't until today I think I figured out why.
On a recent trip to Utah I got stuck on the side of the freeway fiddling with the wiring on the FSS when I had found what I thought was the input lead on the FSS was super loose. I gave the wire a squeeze with needle nose pliers which made a firmer connection, and it started and we got on our way.
Aren't I smart?
Today it died again this time near my home, so I called for the tow truck and while waiting started fiddling around.
I took a piece of wire, and made a jumper from FSS to the battery, and what do you know it started up.
Yeah me.
While I was trying to find a way to make my jumper semi permanent I noticed a second spade connector flopping around near the FSS, and haha it gave a little zap when I accidentally touched it to the pump.
Wait this 2nd loose connector has power?
I put it on the tab, started it up, and called AAA to cancel the tow.
When I got home 5 minutes later I noticed the FSS had 2 tabs.
Oh come on. Really?
So on the side of the road in Utah I made a nice tight connection on the outbound spade, and what, accidentally pushed in the inbound spade on,?
It then lasted 2 weeks to just randomly fall off (keep in mind driving around Oakland can be rougher than going 4x4ing on a dirt road)?

OK back to the question.
What does the 2nd space on the FSS power, and is it supposed to be what's in this picture, and what is the thing in this picture?

Thank you
-mickey

Old 01-16-2021, 07:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
There is a nut on top of the FSS. take that spade connector off and put eyelets on the wires. Put them where the spade connector was. One wire powers the FSS the other wire works your KSB. I believe it goes through that temp sensor you were pointing to. If it falls off your truck won't stop running but if the power wire does then it will.
The following 2 users liked this post by thrub:
jimbo486 (01-20-2021), nothingbutdarts (01-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 07:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thrub
There is a nut on top of the FSS. take that spade connector off and put eyelets on the wires. Put them where the spade connector was. One wire powers the FSS the other wire works your KSB. I believe it goes through that temp sensor you were pointing to. If it falls off your truck won't stop running but if the power wire does then it will.
OK that makes a little more sense.
I'd read the KSB was powered by FSS but the wire didn't come directly off the FSS double spade so I was wondering had I somehow moved the wires around.
KSB passed through the sensor.
Thanks Thrub, can you link me to which eyelet connectors you're talking about?
What I have in my minds eye would not work.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:42 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Just google crimp on electrical terminals. I personally use the ones that have the heat shrink tubing on them.