1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front end steering shock damper question to those who installed them aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a bandaid... More like a corrective cast.
These trucks were not designed for the weight of this engine. If you recall, all Cummins equipped Dodges were assigned "no plow status" from somewhere between 90-91. We had customers furious about this. Chrysler sent out a factory rep to explain the issues to us at the dealers. This is where I was shown the bumper/ fender movement.
Chrysler bought back 3 trucks from my dealer alone after the "no plow status" letter.
You can disagree all you want. Any improvements you can make to these trucks is a positive, and a stabilizer is one of them.
We can go down the Obama care road, but I'm pretty sure with the documented history these trucks, they would be sitting in front of the "death panels" if the government had their way.
I'd rather fix mine.
I didn't mean that a steering stabilizer would be a "repair" for a worn steering box. I can definitely see how you could interpret my post that way. A stabilizer will save your gearbox and some of the joints, and helps the feel of the truck. In my opinion (which I value very highly) everyone of these trucks should have one.

Last edited by TRENDZ; 07-01-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: adding to
Old 07-02-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Under the assumption that every other suspension part is functionally working properly as designed, adding a steering stabilizer won't hurt, and would probably add to the feel of the truck's stability. The issue at hand is someone trying to correct a problem steering system, suspension system, or other issue by adding a stabilizer, and assuming the problem is fixed, when in reality, the rag joint is being held on by a couple threads, and disaster is imminent (as an example only)
Old 07-02-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always wondered, wouldn't the dampening affect of a steering stabilizer put more stress on the steering box and the weak, cracking prone mounting bracket on the 4wd setup?
I understand it helps with bump steer and variations of the road surface but it seems the extra effort needed to turn the wheels would put that stress on the frame and mounting bracket.
While sitting in my driveway with the truck running, I put my son behind the wheel gently wagging it back and forth, you can see the axle and leaf springs being pushed side to side, opposite of the frame to a total amount of approximately 1 inch. (1/2 inch each way).
Basically the pitman/drag link arm is pushing and pulling the axle. At that time the new springs and bushings had about 15k miles on them, none of which were abusive, strictly daily driver duty.
I say reverse rotation steering gear or Ford chassis with Cummins power plant would be the best fix
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by MARF75
I've always wondered, wouldn't the dampening affect of a steering stabilizer put more stress on the steering box and the weak, cracking prone mounting bracket on the 4wd setup?
I understand it helps with bump steer and variations of the road surface but it seems the extra effort needed to turn the wheels would put that stress on the frame and mounting bracket.
While sitting in my driveway with the truck running, I put my son behind the wheel gently wagging it back and forth, you can see the axle and leaf springs being pushed side to side, opposite of the frame to a total amount of approximately 1 inch. (1/2 inch each way).
Basically the pitman/drag link arm is pushing and pulling the axle. At that time the new springs and bushings had about 15k miles on them, none of which were abusive, strictly daily driver duty.
I say reverse rotation steering gear or Ford chassis with Cummins power plant would be the best fix
The reverse rotation is a waaay better design. I can't drive mine yet but just looking at it you can tell the way the load is transferred to the frame is much better than the stock set up.

A friend of mine is building a mid 70s fummins next winter. He got a good deal on a 94 dodge CTD for parts.