1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front end sagging--new front springs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front end sagging--new front springs??

I've been thinking of getting some new front springs and am wondering if stock springs will level it out, or do I need add-a-leafs? The front end is sagging quite a bit. Is there a way to tell how much new springs will raise it?
Also will I be able to run 285s without a lift?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has sagged a little too, I was thinking of just adding some air bags to the front then you could control the height and it will ride a little better too I hope.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 AM

The stock springs on the first gens had 3/4 inch of positive arch from the factory, which lose their arch fairly quickly. A good spring shop should be able to restore them to orignal specs
Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Might want to try a search in the forums, its been around a few times. Heres a link to my 2 cents https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...nt+spring+lift
I was under my buddies log in name at the time (1stgen545)
Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Denny-
Why are you against re-arching the springs? I don't know anything about it--just wondering. I like the looks of your air bags and the stance of your Dodge is great.
What size tires are those?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:46 PM

Im running 285/75/16's, pretty much a 33. My truck is more of a worker than a toy, so after years of lifting everything I owned I decided to keep this one pretty close to stock height. I like it so far. As far as re-arching goes I can speak with experience. I've had two jobs like that done in the past and both of them on IH 1210 4x4's. The binder motor weighs in as one of the heaviest V8's ever made and the re-arched springs would only last about 10-12 mths. I tried two different spring shops here in Texas one of which touts about "rebuilt" springs. Both times same result. Apply that to a rig with a motor that weighs about twice as much dry, I figured its not even worth my time. There are people reading this that are running good re-arched springs, they do exist, just not for me. Im a cheapo country boy that likes to weld so every chance I get to fire up the Lincoln I do......... especially when it saves a buck or 400
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New springs would be far better than re-arched ones. They have sagged because they are not heat treated right and bending them enough to get a permanent set seems like a poor solution. Also, the stockers have no plastic bushings between them (at least mine didn't). Old springs of this type wear against each other, rust, and become weaker. Get new springs with the plastic bushings between the leaves and you'll be amazed at how much better they ride. There is far too much friction between the leaves on the originals. I moved the bump stop up on mine to get more travel. You can re-drill it and raise it at least an inch. This lets the axle come up that much farther before contact. The first gens need all the help they can get in the front suspension department.

Wetspirit
Old 02-02-2007, 05:43 AM

denny t i kinda like the airbag route did you plumb them to a central location for air adjustment? as far as which air bags did you go with as far as specs go? sure cant hurt the ride, and like you, hate to spend big bucks on something on that speed. i have had springs rearched always had them add a leaf. but on a dodge cummins i am already not thrilled about the front springs for their stiffness.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 AM

The bags are Firestone, 2600# ea., they are aired individually. All the other junk in there to hold em is some I-beam cut in half and some C channel. I've had them on there for about 8 months now and have only had to shoot air to them once. I had to do that when it got cold (cold air density). I skipped all the compressor stuff and lines going everywhere just becuase I needed a quick fix and I wanted one lift NOT up then down then up again. They only need about to 20lbs psi to do the job but with more air they just keep going. It was built so that if I ever needed more lift I could space the bottom of the bag to get more out of it. In the future I do plan to add about a gallon of air to each bag to help give the bags more volume. Ill hide it in the frame rails somewhere. Other than that its a lot of measuring and cutting but overall Im happy with it. The ride is better on things like small bumps and road grooves, but on big ones it will still knock you around. I need to upgrade my shocks too, that will help, mine are shot! I second the statement about having plastic bushings in between the spings that will help a lot. Alcan spring makes all my springs for scouts and stuff and they live by those things. They make springs for our dodges too and Im heading that way when the money heads my way.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Replace the springs with custom or good after market. OEM replacement will go back probably within a few months, same as re-arc. Adding a leaf wont help the sag any more than the thickness of the leaf itslef as most og the sag is right at the eye of the spring.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:52 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by DennyT
The bags are Firestone, 2600# ea., they are aired individually. All the other junk in there to hold em is some I-beam cut in half and some C channel.
Cool.
Where did you get the bags? I didn't know you could buy just them and make your own set up! What holds them in place? Did you weld or bolt your brackets to mount them and to what?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:59 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
"Click image for larger version" - duh...

OK I see your brackets and how they bolt on now . Do you still have a template or was it all trial & error? You mentioned something about making them for 1st genners, have you thought more about that? If so, a price?

I assume rear bags are much more common. Anybody know how much do they run, from who and are homegrown ones cheaper/better?

I'm getting more ideas than I have time or money for