1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

front end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end?

I am buying a 91 w250, and its front sits lower than the rear, common problem due to the wieght in the front i assume. what is the easyist way to fix this, and also the cheapist? thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
You need to rebuild the front spring pack. Your front spring pack probably has an upside down arch to it (the bushings are lower than the top of the axle). This is caused by tired springs.

I did this by doing the following ;

1) Take it all apart
2) Replace the bushings in the top spring
3) Replace all the other springs with all but the top spring from a set of 4" lift springs for a W150/W250. I happened to have a set, so they were free.

See Jim Lanes writeup on the sticky page about cleaning up the ends of the springs to eliminate shudders caused by wear causing a limit in spring movement and install spring liners or nylon tips as he suggests.

Doing this brought my front springs back to straight, rather than having an upside-down arch to them.

If you have a local spring shop, they might be able to re-arch your existing springs, but unless they re-temper them, they'll just sag again after a few months. A better deal would be to have them re-arch only the top leaf and make you new lower leaves to restore your ride height. They should have the specs on how the original springs were set up, or should be able to determine it by looking at the truck.

Spend the money on some good shocks along with this and you'll be very happy with the ride. I went with the Bilstein 5100's and I'm very pleased. I'd imagine that the Bilstein HD's would be good, too. Stay away from Monroes or Gabriels or whatever else the local parts store sells. They're way too soft for these trucks with a big heavy Cummins block in the front.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks alot, very informative post. I just called a local spring shop and they want $475 to re arch the spring and add a leaf to them, but i dont really have enough to do that since im spending all my play money on the truck itself. what about blocks or just and add-a-leaf for now till i get the money to do them at the spring shop.
thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Blocks on the front are an absolute no-no. They'll throw off the alignment and cause instability. They'd cause excessive spring wrap when braking and would also effect steering. Never, never, ever put blocks on the front axle.

An add-a-leaf might help a little.

Check craigslist or the want ads or local junk yards for better springs to rebuild yours with. A gas 1-ton or 3/4-ton 4WD would have springs that are less worn. You could also use leaves from a rear spring pack, with a little cutting and grinding. Just don't get them too hot or you'll lose the temper on the steel.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Noted!! thanks for the help!