1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Flexplate or torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Flexplate or torque converter?

I started using neutral to start and idle my truck due to fluid circulation. When I start the truck I hear a clattering noise that I thought was in the engine (sounds almost like the normal sound of a diesel running overlayed on the normal engine sound). When I pulled into the drive today and shifted to neutral thats when I heard it again. I put it in park to get out and look at the engine, and the noise went away. I shifted to neutral and it was back again. I put it in drive and the clatter went away. What do you think is wrong? Will a 2nd gen flex plate fit an '89? Will a lock up converter work with a 727? Transmission seems to be fine. Fluid is good and shifts out perfectly. The noise seems to be coming from the converter area.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it does sound like a cracked flex plate. You can use the 2nd gen flex plate on there, but not the torque converter. It is for a lock-up transmission and yours is non-lock-up.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the response. I went out this morning and started the truck in park this time and I could hear the sound intermitently. It doesn't sound like a metalic sound. It does sound like it comes from the area of the flexplate, but it sounds like a throaty growl (like maybe the turbo is kicking in at idle).
Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque

had the same prob take that little plate off where flexplate is youll here better
for me i had torque trouble sounded like some change in a dryer,so i changed torque it it had some unwelded parts in it.

i put everything back together sound was still there so i changed flexplate,sound was still there so i checked KDP sure enough i was missing a bolt under front cover, so i took oil pan out sure enough found some metal parts there ,put everything back together sound was still there some people said was trust bearings so i checkedfor some play on flexplate and vibration damper. now after taking tranny out for 3 times i got so i decided to make a burn out show because i planned to change the engine ,while i did the burnout after 1 min of floring it noise went away.
took that plate off so i could see flexplate sure enough the flexplate bolts did some rubbing on the back of motor. y i dont no but runs fine now

i asked some local mechs and they told me that maybe that torque i put in was thicker than the other or that the flex bolts that they gave me where a bit thicker or that maybe thrust bearing backed off a bit ???

what it was i dont no but its been close to a year since prob started and since about march without any noise

sorry for the book but hope this helps

1 start by checking if you got some rubbing on flex bolts

let me no ill keep on posting

hope this helps my troubles started the same way yours did
Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 AM

I am going to pull the inspection cover in a minute. I went and got my piece if cardboard a while ago to get a good look, started the engine and before I could get under the truck the noise stopped and I couldn't get it back. I'm sure that after it sits a few minutes it will be back.